Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Line issues due to a tree  (Read 5460 times)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Re: Line issues due to a tree
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 06:21:38 PM »

Please keep us up-to-date with any progress. As a techno-kitteh, I would be appreciative of before and after pictures.  :)

My current understanding is that you are fed directly from a pole mounted DP (somewhere behind that tree) and you are proposing to have the drop cable relocated to a carrier pole? How would that result in an overall ~80m reduction in your circuit's length?  :-\

The pole I am currently on is a carrier pole as it has no cables running up it, the pole I want to be moved to is the pole with the DP and the thick cables running up it.

All I know in terms of my line length is using map tools following the most likely route I come up with ~430m and if line was moved I came up with ~350m.

It will definitely be a reduction in line length my actual line being ~430m seems unlikely however as my line attenuation is 16.3

Overall i'm looking for the elimination of my line problems and a slight speed increase, can see this taking a while for me to arrange the movement of line but will post results wherever with before and after line status from my crappy HH5A due to having BT TV :( .

Also something I have noticed is that between the poles there is only 3 lines followed by a thicker cable is this normal/sufficient if everyone had FTTC, I can take pictures if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:24:00 PM by S.Stephenson »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 06:33:34 PM »

The pole I am currently on is a carrier pole as it has no cables running up it, the pole I want to be moved to is the pole with the DP and the thick cables running up it.

<Nods.> Thank you. Now I understand.

. . . crappy HH5A due to having BT TV :( .

One of the booby-prizes.  :-X

Also something I have noticed is that between the poles there is only 3 lines followed by a thicker cable is this normal/sufficient if everyone had FTTC, I can take pictures if anyone is interested.

I am uncertain of what you have tried to describe. A picture (or three), when convenient, would certainly help to clarify things.  ;)

As for your question with regards to VDSL2 services -- if the overall distance between the PCP, its fibre twin and the EU do not preclude provision of such a service, then yes that cabling would be sufficient.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »

Feeder pole I want to be moved to

Three lines from Feeder pole to carrier pole i'm connected to.

The carrier pole i'm connected to

What i'm thinking is could these three lines support 20ish houses all on VDSL that is the poles backhaul?

May be a stupid question but I am curious on how three lines plus the thicker one can support potentially 1.6Gbit/s, or is it a particularity high contention situation?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 10:00:26 PM »

Curiouser and curiouser. I do not doubt your analysis and ability to recognise a pole with DP and a carrier pole. There are certainly more drop cables radiating from the carrier pole than I was expecting to see. However as no DACS units are visible then that is a good sign.

As for the cabling between the DP pole and carrier pole, three thinner cables and one thicker cable, the total number of pairs must either be equal to or greater than the number of circuits radiating from the carrier pole.

Each pair has the potential to carry a VDSL2 circuit (currently with a ~17MHz bandwidth). The only limitation would be the number of physical line-card ports available within the fibre cabinet.

One factor that will have to be taken into account is whether the DP pole would be able to take the extra loading (under adverse weather conditions) if yet another drop cable was run from it.  :-\

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 10:54:18 PM »

That carrier pole also feeds another one which has around 10 houses connected to it via another 3 cables.

Must be a hell of a lot of wires in the thicker one, I always assumed it was power or something.

This will all be rendered moot when i pay them to move the thing, never noticed any speed issues just seems like a low provision.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:59:03 PM by S.Stephenson »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 11:21:15 PM »

You'll be surprised at the number of pairs that can exist in a typical aerial distribution cable!  :)

Attached, below, is the specification for one type of aerial cable.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 02:51:14 AM »

Also something I have noticed is that between the poles there is only 3 lines followed by a thicker cable is this normal/sufficient if everyone had FTTC.

What i'm thinking is could these three lines support 20ish houses all on VDSL that is the poles backhaul?
May be a stupid question but I am curious on how three lines plus the thicker one can support potentially 1.6Gbit/s, or is it a particularity high contention situation?

Its normal. VDSL2 is capable of carrying 80Mbps over a single copper pair. 
As far as contention goes, it doesn't happen at all on the copper side of things,  which in effect is a dedicated end to end point between your property and the cab.

Contention and congestion occurs on the fibre backhaul where numerous (many 100's) of users are sharing the same bandwidth on the fibre optic cable.  The usual points of congestion are between the exchange and the RAS - commonly known in old money as the VP.  With FTTC the backhaul would be the  point between the Head End Exchange and the point you enter the main core is known as a SVLAN.  There is also another place where its possible that local contention could occur and thats the CVLAN - ie the fibre from the cab to the head end exchange.   Its supposedly not meant to occur here, but thats not to say it couldnt at some point.

Here's an old diagram that I did many years ago which clearly shows where contention can occur and the VPs (Virtual Paths).   It was done in the early days of adsl so bandwidth was far less, but the theory is the same.   

A more updated version for 21CN is here - where you see the clouds thats part of the SVLAN and where congestion can occur.  Just now we are talking of 100's of users with much higher speeds and multiple Gb's on the backhauls.

Whilst there's no contention on the copper pair - unlike fibre - copper suffers badly with attenuation.   The longer the length of copper then the more the signal fades. xDSL is a digital signal carried over copper wire - the shorter the length of copper the clearer the signal which means it can carry more frequencies.. and higher frequencies mean more bandwidth.  Its also susceptible noise.  Noise from various sources such as EMI or crosstalk (or even a worn cable/oxydised joint) can introduce noise which will further drown out the signal.    Signal strength to Noise (SNR) is an important indicator of what speed can be carried over copper.

The HH isn't very good at linestats, although depending on which model you may be able to log your SNR Margin using routerstats.  TBH if the line is problematic then a decent modem/router with proper linestats may tell you far more about the physical condition of your line.   Whilst perhaps not the most elegant of solutions and because you wish to retain the HH5 because of BT TV, have you thought about putting a HG612 in front of the HH5?

But a cheeky £10 is always available for noble causes.

Thank you very much. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]