Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Line issues due to a tree  (Read 5461 times)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Line issues due to a tree
« on: July 26, 2015, 01:17:16 AM »

I keep having connection issues that I blame squarely on wind and the tree that my line is caught on, notice the massive drift to the right the line is also taut.

Basically powerful wind = line drop usually.

My two neighbors on the left are connected via a different pole like this, with both lines being hooked onto #1 with #2's line passing through #1 at the front.

If I get it moved it would stop all future tree related problems and have the added benefit of decreasing my line length from the cabinet by ~80m.

So the main questions are, how much would this cost and how difficult is it to get them to do this for me, especially due to potential wayleave for #1 and #2.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Line issues due to a tree
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:54:02 AM »

Firstly, I'm not doubting your statement that the wire is rubbing on the tree branches, especially when windy. But from an engineering perspective, it would have to be proven so before renewal of the wire is undertaken. The actual fault could be in an underground joint 2 miles down the road, for example.

From what you say though our test equipment should easily identify the issue, and usually giving the wire a good whacking with our 'height measuring rods' can generally simulate the windy conditions, thus enhancing the fault condition for detection purposes.

If it is proven to be the wire, there are various options open to us ............ including feeding from a different DP as a last resort. The usual course of action would be to prune the tree, if it's light foliage we are obliged to attempt it ourselves, but looking at your picture I would probably have it farmed out to a local contractor.
We also have a specific wire designed for this situation, that has thicker insulation.

If 're-feeding' from the other DP (Pole) is to be utilised, then it's simply a case of asking the neighbours permission to 'bounce' the wire onto and across their properties. If permission was given, a far neater job would be for the engineer to use CAD55 wire from the pole to the gable-end premises. This is a multi-core cable that would carry all 3 circuits in the one wire, rather than have three separate wires 'flying' from the pole to the premises. A BT66 connector block would then be fixed and all three circuits run separately from here, to each individual premises.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »

Im thinking of not going through my ISP and directly requesting a movement of external openreach equipment, mainly because I'd rather pay money now rather than have to have to deal with ringing up to get a tree trimmed every few years., and the frustration I've had in my few attempts with BT retail support so far.

That and if they trimmed the tree to also help my neighbours line at #4 the tree would probably die.

So would the best thing in this case be to get in contact with openreach ask for some forms for neighbours to sign and hope it doesn't cost like £400

My estimate was like the typical £130 for a socket movement.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 04:32:39 PM »

. . . directly requesting a movement of external openreach equipment, . . .

What Openreach external plant (equipment) are you considering to have moved?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 04:38:25 PM »

Normally the owner who's trees are effecting your drop wire is responsible as it's over there land.
We have a cordyline palm tree and my neighbours line is now going though it, if that tree falls and damages the drop wire I will be held responsible for any costs from BT Openreach to fix my neighbours line.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 04:54:28 PM »

What Openreach external plant (equipment) are you considering to have moved?  :-\

The external drop wire, nothing crazy like the pole.

Tree belongs to the incompetent parish council unfortunately Newtron.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 05:04:02 PM »

That's who you need to contact the council, it's going to be a pain in the arse but no way should you have to foot the bill for those trees to be cut well back to stop it interfering with your drop wire !
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:06:17 PM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »

The external drop wire, nothing crazy like the pole.

In the true sense of the meaning, 'line plant rearrangement' only covers from Exchange to DP (Telegraph pole). You can imagine the sheer madness of it all, should we have to re-feed all drop-wires that find themselves enshrouded by foliage ??.

As NS states, the pruning should be carried out by the Council, but we all know how that will probably go.  ;)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 05:25:27 PM »

That's who you need to contact the council, it's going to be a pain in the arse but no way should you have to foot the bill for those trees to be cut well back to stop it interfering with your drop wire !

I have enough spare cash laying around to just bite the bullet and stop any future issues by getting it moved.

Black Sheep helped by saying it can be done as a last resort, can I pay to make it the only one.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 05:30:07 PM »

I don't see that side of the fence, so to speak. But, as cash is king ..... I couldn't for-see any issues. I think you would probably need to start with the 'LPR' team as they would despatch a Survey Officer to see if it's possible to do (Height above carriageways, spare capacity to new pole, etc).

Before the next question is asked ..... no, I wouldn't know how to contact the LPR team, but I bet someone on here will ??  ;) ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 05:30:48 PM »

I have enough spare cash laying around to just bite the bullet and stop any future issues by getting it moved.

Black Sheep helped by saying it can be done as a last resort, can I pay to make it the only one.

Good for you and if we have helped please donate a wee bit of that cash laying around to the KITZ site  :)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 05:49:38 PM »

I don't see that side of the fence, so to speak. But, as cash is king ..... I couldn't for-see any issues. I think you would probably need to start with the 'LPR' team as they would despatch a Survey Officer to see if it's possible to do (Height above carriageways, spare capacity to new pole, etc).

Before the next question is asked ..... no, I wouldn't know how to contact the LPR team, but I bet someone on here will ??  ;) ;D

Can't see any issues on that front as the pole I want to be moved to is the feeder pole with a Black DP box and rather thick cables running up it, so hopefully when I figure out who to ring it will be a matter of paying a few bob getting a few signatures and then hopefully a stable and slightly faster line.

Good for you and if we have helped please donate a wee bit of that cash laying around to the KITZ site  :)

It's all allocated to my very hopeful FTTPod budget i'm afraid, I was many of those devastated by the price rises and the very few exchanges that were actually supported :( , in a commercial roll out area phase 8c if I remember correctly though so fingers crossed for G.Fast.

But a cheeky £10 is always available for noble causes.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 05:49:55 PM »

A good starting point would be the appropriate page on the Openreach web-site for making contact with regards to external plant rearrangement.  :)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 06:00:08 PM »

A good starting point would be the appropriate page on the Openreach web-site for making contact with regards to external plant rearrangement.  :)

Looking around on the pricing for services it's looking like

Standard Chargeable Visit (Visit plus up to 1 hours work)      95.92
+
Internal and External Shifts                                                 105.40

Doesn't seem too unreasonable I'll give them a ring when i'm not in work or e-mail the full details to them.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 06:10:54 PM »

Please keep us up-to-date with any progress. As a techno-kitteh, I would be appreciative of before and after pictures.  :)

My current understanding is that you are fed directly from a pole mounted DP (somewhere behind that tree) and you are proposing to have the drop cable relocated to a carrier pole? How would that result in an overall ~80m reduction in your circuit's length?  :-\

Pages: [1] 2