Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is Microsoft Causing this?  (Read 6735 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Is Microsoft Causing this?
« on: July 25, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »

Hi All,

My sister called me today to tell me she had to take her laptop back to the shop because of problems they say is caused by Microsoft.

Both her lap top and my wife's take ages to start up, sister's takes up to 40 minutes!  My wife can wait ten minutes for hers to boot. Both running Win 7.
When they do boot up and try to open websites they both get a 'That web page not available, reload', on my pc running Win 8.1 the web pages open at once.

The both have received the Win 10 App and 'signed up' for the updates, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar troubles?  Can this really be caused by Microsoft?

Regards,

Peter

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: is Microsoft Causing this?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »

this cant be diagnosed from your post.

it "possibly" could be caused by something microsoft related but there is no way to say it definitely is caused by them.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 03:57:07 PM »

Can this really be caused by Microsoft?
If by that you mean the Win10 app specifically then it seems very unlikely.

All sorts of reasons PC's are slow to start so I'd start by assuming it was a concidence and get a PC technician to check all the usual suspects in a logical order. I'd start with lack of resources (e.g. ram and disk space) then look for malware then start to get forensic.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 05:09:45 PM »

Please forgive me, but the first thing that came into my head was 3 women all having a similar problem, so the question is, have they shared something between them that may have infected their PCs!
(yes I know, it could have been 3 guys, but it wasn't)

Obviously in one case it's now too late as the PC has been to the shop, but for the other's, then a jolly good clean-up seems to be called for, and finishing off with a good monthly system defrag.

CCleaner (Free)
Malwarebytes (Free)
Eusing Free Registry Cleaner (Free)
SUPERAntiSpyware Pro (Free)
Avast Antivirus (Free) (yes recently dumped AVG and gone back with Avast)
AVG PC TuneUp 2015 (don't ask)
MyDefrag (Free)

Apart from Avast and Spyware Blaster, all the above programs are just run on a as and when basis.

Sometimes just for the hell of it I will run those programs in the reverse order because after CCleaner not a lot of rubbish is usually found, so it just makes me feel better when run in reverse the other programs pick up on the rubbish for a change.
(Please note, when saying 'rubbish' basically I mean PUPs and cookies, fortunately I don't get any/many problems with virus's.)

Edit:
Typo, not/note
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:23:28 PM by oldfogy »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 07:20:15 PM »

I recently had to sort out a PC that was very slow to boot,  this is a PC I built for them with an SSD. So should have been quick, but hey they've had it a year or so.

So I ran the usual sort of programs, and found several PUPS,  after these where removed all was well again.

I usually end up up looking at this families PC every couple of years, his wife and two daughters have a nasty habit of clicking yes to things that want to download,  he even had some app that seemed reputable after I researched it which was supposed to stop these downloads but alas it had failed on this occasion.

I bet the OP's laptops also just have some pup's, chances are they've shared links and looked at the same websites and installed the same shopping toolbars. .....
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »

Hi,

Only two women involved, they both had their laptops 'cleaned by cclener, anit virus scans show nowt, and malbyteware gave a clean bill of health after removing some PUPs.

I'll wait and see what the shop has to say when she gets her laptop back.

Thanks for the input folks.

Peter

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Is Microsoft Causing this?
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »

On my own pc I have a problem I have diagnosed.

Basically I boot from an SSD.

On windows 8 and 10 the service called readyboot (not to be confused with readyboost) is turned off when a SSD is detected, however windows 7 forces it on even if tried to manually overide.

On every bootup this readyboot service is writing logs of about 200meg in size, and causes my ssd to stay active for about 3 minutes after booting.  This has for sure motivated me to move to win8/10 as soon as possible.

I still get to the login screen fast, but the i/o led stays lit for ages after it gets there.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Is Microsoft Causing this?
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 09:51:34 PM »

Sorry Peter I counted your sister twice.

On my own pc I have a problem I have diagnosed.

Basically I boot from an SSD.

On windows 8 and 10 the service called readyboot (not to be confused with readyboost) is turned off when a SSD is detected, however windows 7 forces it on even if tried to manually overide.

On every bootup this readyboot service is writing logs of about 200meg in size, and causes my ssd to stay active for about 3 minutes after booting.  This has for sure motivated me to move to win8/10 as soon as possible.

I still get to the login screen fast, but the i/o led stays lit for ages after it gets there.

On my self-built unit I always get a screen asking if I want to activate the 'Readyboost, or at least I think it's that, but have always declined with the intention of finding out what it actually was when I got around to using it, but then also bought a decent laptop and have very rarely used either of my other computers since, BUT, with 3 of my units (dual-boot) so 5 Windows operating systems in total I have noticed maybe 6 to 9 months ago all of the systems now take a lot longer to boot-up than ever they used to, I even tried disabling startup items, so in my opinion the start-up slowness can only be down to a MS update.

Yes as far as I'm aware 'Readyboot' simply puts the PC into a sleep mode, so never actually turns off completely.