Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Voyager 2091 ADSL and 1055 USB 2.0 Adapter  (Read 4628 times)

Telboy

• Just arrived
Voyager 2091 ADSL and 1055 USB 2.0 Adapter
« on: October 09, 2006, 01:19:21 PM »

Hi all,

Following months of training a cable from the filter at the front door to the PC via a 105 Router and seeing a wonderful offer from Madasafish to go wireless for the princley sum of ?50 decided that this would be a good idea.

Purchased a Voyager 2091 Wirelsss ADSL Router
BT Voyager 1055 USB 2.0 Adapter

Set up the new router and at Step 4 tried to set-up the Wireless Adapter.

I experienced a number of probelms during installation

1. It did not always pick up the 2091 router
2. Sometimes it did but in the Advanced tab of the Connect to Wireless Network box ist had a red cross on the comnnection and no signal in the green box from the system tray.

3. For some reason it worked fine on Saturday night for around 3 hours (good signal strength), then again on Sunday morning. Thought i'd check again on Sunday afternoon and the green box showed no connectivity / network (or existence of the router) and following numerous attempts to install / uninstall it has proven to be an utter failure and i'm considering to hard wire through the USB connection which will mean unravelling the phone cable again and moving the router to near the PC.

Please help me bfore it goes out of the window.

??? ??? ???

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Voyager 2091 ADSL and 1055 USB 2.0 Adapter
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 01:38:24 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It sounds like it could possibly be the signal strength of the wireless connection, or something interfering with the signal.

Have you tried changing channels in the Voyager? Some work better than others.

Advanced >
Wireless configuration >
Wireless Basic Settings >
Channel >
Select channel no from the drop down list.

Something else Ive found is let windows handle your wireless network connection.. IMHO this is something that M$ have got right, and Ive found it works better than the software that comes with your wireless adapter.

PS

>> Purchased a Voyager 2091

Are you sure its a 2091? - These routers are normally locked to BT (the ISP) connections only.
It is very similar to a Voyager 2100/2110.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Telboy

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 01:46:01 PM »

Thanks very much for your advice. Yes it's a 2091, i have a BT line but a different ISP.

Other forums have suggested maybe setting up using the USB Blue cable and then disconnecting to achieve Wireless, do you think this will be OK.

Will try again tonight, keep your fingers crossed.

Still can't understand why the network totally dissapered though was working fine on Saturday night.

Cheers
Telboy

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 02:31:27 PM »

>> setting up using the USB Blue cable and then disconnecting to achieve Wireless, do you think this will be OK.

Must admit I normally set up first time using ethernet.

---------------

If it is a 2901, then these routers used to have to be set up the first time using ethernet or usb.

There used to be information on the
bt site
for setting up the 2091 that said.

The CD will guide you through installing the router, connecting to your computer and going online for the first time. You will use an ethernet or USB cable to make the first connection.

Once your broadband connection is up and running the CD will guide you through how to reconnect your computer wirelessly .

But unfort theyve now replaced that page with instructions for the home hub. :/

--------

Update.

Ive just done a bit of googling and have found that if you have a 2091 for use on another ISP, then it will have been "unlocked".
To do this the firmware will have had to have been flashed with firmware from Dynalink
info

------

If I were you Id try setting up first using ethernet (yellow).

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Telboy

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 04:52:25 PM »

Brill, thanks very much, will try this evening :thumbs:

anything