Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Long distance to the exchange  (Read 10509 times)

leveled

Long distance to the exchange
« on: September 12, 2006, 01:32:22 PM »

I have a Voyager 105 modem and wish to replace it with a wireless Modem Router  My local Attenuation is 63.5 and SNR Margin around 12 I currently have stable connection ,but this is not always so. Which router would best suit my aprox 6 km line. Plusnet sell the Zyxell 660 HW and I use Plusnet, would this be more reliable than my Voyager  Thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Long distance to the exchange
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 03:02:47 PM »

>> My local Attenuation is 63.5 and SNR Margin around 12

tbh I cant speak for the Zyxel but due to the fact that you are on such a long line, if I were you I would go for a router that has been proven to work well on low SNR lines.

2 routers in particular that seem to work best are the

Netgear DG834G.
D-Link DSL-G604T

From a personal PoV I would recommend the Netgear DG834G
This is an image of it working on a line that whose SNR Margin you can see frequently drops down to 0dB (and below)

Word of warning though...  if you go for the Netgear make sure you get a DG834G and NOT a DG834GT which is different.

Ive just had a very quick google for its current price.

Amazon is selling it for
Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless
?56.56 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK
Claim a free Netgear WG111 Wireless 54Mbps USB 2.0 Adapter
linky
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 03:10:42 PM »

Just as an aside... the DG834G comes in 3 versions - the v3 which is the newer one is actually based on a different chipset, and is, unless I've missed something, largely unproven on long lines.

The v2 and v3 look identical too... which is a bit of a shame.. at least you could tell the difference between the v1 and v2 (v1 was grey, v2 is white)
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 03:48:21 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the V2 uses a TI chipset (AR7?) and the V3 uses a Broadcom chipset, the same as the Belkin F5D7633. There are plenty of people who swear by the latter, particularly as it supports extensive command-line tweaking.

My choice (I think) would be to go with Kitz' recommendation of a DG834G, but try to get a V2 version (if that's possible).

Eric
  Eric

leveled

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 08:29:06 PM »

Thank you for the advice  I can see a version 2 on E Bay refurbished 90 day warranty but short of leads etc, but the Amazon one with a free Dongle??? and 2 year warranty  seems much more atractive,for another 10 pounds or so, but would it work as well ? I will have to think about it ,but it seems that any router would be better than what I have at the moment  Any more views apreciated  Regards  Ed

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 07:53:15 AM »

I rather agree with your view. I wouln't be happy getting something like this on EBay personally, but maybe that's just my cautious nature. The Amazon offer certainly looks to be the best one and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Eric
  Eric

leveled

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 07:24:14 AM »

Just ordered one from Amazon, will let you know how I get on Thanks again for the advice

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 11:45:35 AM »

good luck..

meant to say ... I had a scout around to see what people were saying about the v3.
The general consensus seemed that they were happy with the v3s..
theres also someone that pershaps roseway and astral have seen on other forums whos on a longish line who seems happy with his v3 and says its much better than his previous modem.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

leveled

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 07:57:51 PM »

Well I,m still waiting for Amazons  free delivery of the router  but my connection has been fine lately, so I may do without if it doesnt soon turn up.
Att 63.5  SNR  12.5  My son in laws on another exchange, near here, is 41.5  and  21 he of course has a faster connection

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 09:26:47 AM »

I will always say it - stability is always related as much to internal extension wiring as to the exchange line.
If your using 2/3 pair standard phone cable appliance/electronic interference can be an easy influence.

If your PSTN line all works great and sounds fine then the line should be OK, especially if you can monitor your margins as you have.

Try all the favourites - ring wire disconnect on the extension, try out the modem for a time at the master (disconnect extensions) and see what happens. The line stats you have are similar to mine, and our phone number gets one of the best line speed predictions locally. Apart from quite alot of errors appearing in the stats we have really good stability with very few times when the service actually plays up.

leveled

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 10:26:23 PM »

The DG 834 G v  v 3            arived to-day and I have installed it.  The line stats are much the same as the Voyager 105 modem, maybe slightly better sometimes 63 and 12 or 13. I am looking to have no disconnections, but must say I have had very few with the old modem since the main socket has been brought from the loft., some yesterday in the thunder . Should I leave the Netgear on all the time or switch off at night . I dont leave the computer on Thanks for the advice  E

leveled

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 10:35:07 PM »

Also in Somerset

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 09:13:19 AM »

> Should I leave the Netgear on all the time or switch off at night

Leave it on. Routers are designed to be left on all the time. Make sure it has sufficient ventilation - stand it up on the provided stands if it's getting hot, but definitely leave it on, is the recommendation I always give to people with routers.
Chris

leveled

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 12:10:34 PM »

I have the DG834G v 3 working well and it stays connected. if I disconnect and re connect the S.N.R comes in at 16 but drops back to 11  with  63 Att. not alot better than the Voyager but Iam prety sure it is going to be reliable.I have  also set up the wireless connection. The trend micro links dont work( wont go to the site as they say it should) but I have various other bits for viri.so am not bothered. I would ,though ,like to set up the firewall,in the router, but dont know how. I alredy use Kerio which set itself up. I think, The Netgear router firewall in default  apears to block all in bound and allow all outbound, how do I know who to block and who to allow ? can you point me to some information on this and how to set it up Many thanks   E

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 03:40:51 PM »

For some reason the SNR does seem to fall on lines like ours. Interestingly whilst others had connection problems with the recent stormy weather I recorded a record SNR margin of 19dB. Of course within minutes it was falling to 17, 16, 12, 11  :(

Often you can create specific exception rules through the web interface - and these controls should be obvious and often have their own tab/page.

Services in particular are often very easy to get running with a tick in a box and IP address.

Regular inbound traffic is not blocked by default, depending on the rules in use. Most traffic is a response outbound traffic. It is only normally unsolicited inbound traffic that is blocked by default.

Through the interface you should be able to set up port triggering/forwarding if required (e.g. web services) and enable things like uPnP (if you have this on your computer it can autonegotiate ports etc), ping response etc.