Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Possible to change cabinets?  (Read 3990 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
Possible to change cabinets?
« on: July 22, 2015, 12:17:49 PM »

I have a relative who is apparently 700-800 metres from the FTTC cabinet and therefore only gets 16Mb/s(he's apparently on the last or second to last pole from the cab). Literally across the road from his house is another FTTC cabinet, he would like to know whether it would be possible to be connected to it? Any suggestions?  :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Possible to change cabinets?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 12:30:34 PM »

Not a cat-in-hells chance. It was fed down to us that we are NOT to perform any line-plant rearrangement, in order to give an EU higher BB speeds.

The key is to look at the bigger picture, we are an 'Equivalent' business which means what we do for one ISP/EU ........ we do for all ISP's/EU's.
There would be chaos if this practice was legible, I'm afraid.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 12:57:28 PM »

I expected bad news, just wanted confirmation to be honest.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 01:05:39 PM »

interesting reply from BS, suggests its possible but wont happen due to policies.

His reasoning is logical sadly, once one end user gets it done everyong will want it.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »

interesting reply from BS, suggests its possible but wont happen due to policies.

His reasoning is logical sadly, once one end user gets it done everyong will want it.

Well, I didn't move to another cabinet, having connection problems, but I was moved from a line at front of property to another line at rear of property, which knocked several hundred metres off the distance to cabinet, & as a result I've gone 30Mb to 75Mb.
I was told by it done on a invidual case by case, which depend on the problems your having.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 03:39:12 PM »

yeah some people manage to get that type of work done.  But openreach official stance will always be it cannot be done.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:53:21 PM »

What about a new line from the closer cabinet, would that be possible?

If BTOR were to charge for this type of work (where practical ), but at a sensible price that reflected the time/costs involved then there is no reason why this couldn't be available to all ISP's/EU's.

I suppose the problem is that it could open up a whole can worms because people would  expect to get the best possible speeds, so would see the changes as a fix rather than what it actually is, so wouldn't want to pay.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »

Well, I didn't move to another cabinet, having connection problems, but I was moved from a line at front of property to another line at rear of property, which knocked several hundred metres off the distance to cabinet, & as a result I've gone 30Mb to 75Mb.
I was told by it done on a invidual case by case, which depend on the problems your having.

As stated ..... you were having connection issues. If proven to be down to faulty D-side cabling up to the DP (Telegraph Pole), then there are occasions where it may be frugal (safety, cost, time-scales) to feed a premises from a different DP.
It all depends on whether the different DP is served by the same Cabinet or not as to the results (Positive or negative ?).

This kind of action is completely the exception, as opposed to the rule. Ideally the 'Planner' will have been involved to ensure the new DP has 'Spare capacity' and that the actual 'Spares' are not ear-marked for future use. If there are no 'Spares' then a 'Pair Divert' may be necessary to 'Push a spare pair' from yet another DP to the new one the premises is to be fed from.
Everything has to be recorded to future-proof our network capabilities.

It's mentioned on here every now and again ..... but to reiterate ..... broadband is a 'best efforts' product. That is because it is fed over legacy cable, not intended for the kind of higher frequencies the cable was designed for many, many decades ago.

There will always be boundary lines as well. One of Kitz's resident stats experts, sees his premises closer to another Cabinet. This Cab is actually fed from a completely different Exchange though.
Even if there are two Cabs off the same Exchange in the same locality, they will have been 'Planned' against the particular area that each individual Cabinet serves. The cables from each individual DP will only go back to that one particular Cabinet .......... which is again why BB is touted as 'Best efforts'.

I can understand the misguided frustration of folk who are fed from a Cab 1km away from their house, yet there's a different Cab right outside their door. But that is just how it is, and it won't change ...... believe me.  :) :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 06:17:22 PM »

Ronski makes a good point. People seem to think they should be entitled to get all kind of pre-sales work out of BT for free. Free is not reasonable in many such situations. It would be good if CPs could order chargeable work-items from Openreach, including performance-enhancements and sanity-preservation jobs. More money for Openreach, and a happier customer.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 06:49:19 PM »

As stated ..... you were having connection issues. If proven to be down to faulty D-side cabling up to the DP (Telegraph Pole), then there are occasions where it may be frugal (safety, cost, time-scales) to feed a premises from a different DP.
It all depends on whether the different DP is served by the same Cabinet or not as to the results (Positive or negative ?).

This kind of action is completely the exception, as opposed to the rule. Ideally the 'Planner' will have been involved to ensure the new DP has 'Spare capacity' and that the actual 'Spares' are not ear-marked for future use. If there are no 'Spares' then a 'Pair Divert' may be necessary to 'Push a spare pair' from yet another DP to the new one the premises is to be fed from.
Everything has to be recorded to future-proof our network capabilities.

It's mentioned on here every now and again ..... but to reiterate ..... broadband is a 'best efforts' product. That is because it is fed over legacy cable, not intended for the kind of higher frequencies the cable was designed for many, many decades ago.

There will always be boundary lines as well. One of Kitz's resident stats experts, sees his premises closer to another Cabinet. This Cab is actually fed from a completely different Exchange though.
Even if there are two Cabs off the same Exchange in the same locality, they will have been 'Planned' against the particular area that each individual Cabinet serves. The cables from each individual DP will only go back to that one particular Cabinet .......... which is again why BB is touted as 'Best efforts'.

I can understand the misguided frustration of folk who are fed from a Cab 1km away from their house, yet there's a different Cab right outside their door. But that is just how it is, and it won't change ...... believe me.  :) :)

At first I made very little progress, was told you that the 'it's best you going to get & accept it', but I didn't & it  wasn't until I got OR CEO Joe Garner involved in my case that I finally resolved my issue.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:57:40 PM by KIAB »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 08:07:48 PM »

Just for others looking on, and before Joe Garner starts getting bombarded with requests .......... it will have had nothing to do with Joe, he won't have even seen your issue.
It falls under the 'Chairmans letter' banner, but it's just another department within the organisation looking at high-level repeat reports ...... ie: circuits that keep getting reported faulty.

What happens then is, a senior engineer (someone who is trusted by their manager to resolve issues), or a Coach (Foreman to those over 40yrs of age) ...... will attend site (Usually on what we call an e-Viper case) and try and come up with a solution that is within the boundaries of the rules, and within cost parameters.
The solution for your circuit was to re-feed your premises from the DP at the rear. You were lucky in that it deducted metres from your circuits length ...... it could quite easily have gone the other way.

To reiterate, regarding the OP's post and anything else of that nature ....... writing to OR, Mr Garner himself, Ofcom .... or the last King of Tahiti ...... will not see their circuit moved to a different Cab because it is nearer to their house.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »

but I just sent 10 emails to mr garner :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 09:03:29 PM »

10 !!! Just wait until tomorrow ...... a team of engineers will be round to install a symmetrical 50 Terra-byte link to your flat. Just 9 e-mails and it would have been a two-fingered salute coming your way.  ;D ;D ;D

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »

Just wait until tomorrow ...... a team of engineers will be round to install a symmetrical 50 Terra-byte link to your flat.

and a bill to make his eyes water will follow soon after.  :'( :o
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 09:24:13 PM »

looking forward to it :)

anything