Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG8924 QoS problem  (Read 7760 times)

manny2003

Zyxel VMG8924 QoS problem
« on: June 09, 2014, 01:26:49 AM »

Hi everybody,
I bought a VMG8924 that is equal to the VMG8324 but with an AC wireless interface.
I have a big problem with the default configuration of the QoS. When I start an upload (I tried with HTTP upload like Gdrive or Dropbox via Chrome or FF) and I saturate the upload bandwidth it become impossible to start any other connection, nither a ping to an external address. This is a problem related with the QoS because everything works if I totally disable it (it is enabled by default).
I tried any possible configuration change with no success. Also it seems that the QoS is not working at all since if I try to limit a specific Class configuring a rate limit in it, no limit is applied and also the Monitor Tab inside the QoS GUI displays no statitics, with all the counter at 0.
I'm on AAKL4.C0 and I have also tried to reset configs to the default settings. Here a video of the issue:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypy07lgzbu6ku31/zyxel_002.mp4

Does anybody have a similar issue with VMG8924 or 8324? Could someone be so kind to give me some hints on how to resolve this problem or on how to find any usefull information to debug the issue (maybe using some advanced command throught the shell of the router). The worst thing is that the customer support is not able to reproduce this behaviour.  :(

Many thanks!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Zyxel VMG8924 QoS problem
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »

I did see your post the other day, but since Ive not been using the Zyxel for the past few weeks I was unable to test.
Ive recently put my VMG8324 back on.    I enclose screen caps of my QoS settings if they are any help to you.

I uploaded a rather large file to my server and was maxing out my upstream.  I can confirm that I was able to start numerous other connections.   The only symptom I had was that latency took a hit when pinging my server - which is no big surprise and expected behaviour.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:47:25 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

manny2003

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 06:27:01 PM »

Thank you very much for your time. It seems that I'm out of luck seen that apparently no one else have this problem but I have tried everything without success. The customer support also did not find the reason.

Btw, could you please tell me which firmware version you are using? Thank you again!

Sent from mobile (^_-)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »

yvw

Current Firmware Version: 1.00(AAKL.4)b2

The firmwares that Im aware of that are available,  are in this thread
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13930.msg261936#msg261936
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

manny2003

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 12:14:43 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I also have tried this version, gave me by the customer support. I'm actually using the AAKL.4C0 that should be the same version with some minimal fixes and released as candidate version.

I don't know if the firmwares for the 8924 are exactly the same as for the 8324, but if you are interested here are the links to the AAKL.4C0 and the AAKL.5b3, the last firmware in beta version 3. Just in case you were interested.  :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72648012/V100AAKL4C0.bin
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72648012/V100AAKL5b3.bin

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 10:42:46 AM »

Hi

Hi everybody,
I bought a VMG8924 that is equal to the VMG8324 but with an AC wireless interface.
I have a big problem with the default configuration of the QoS. When I start an upload (I tried with HTTP upload like Gdrive or Dropbox via Chrome or FF) and I saturate the upload bandwidth it become impossible to start any other connection, nither a ping to an external address. This is a problem related with the QoS because everything works if I totally disable it (it is enabled by default).
I tried any possible configuration change with no success. Also it seems that the QoS is not working at all since if I try to limit a specific Class configuring a rate limit in it, no limit is applied and also the Monitor Tab inside the QoS GUI displays no statitics, with all the counter at 0.
I'm on AAKL4.C0 and I have also tried to reset configs to the default settings. Here a video of the issue:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypy07lgzbu6ku31/zyxel_002.mp4

Does anybody have a similar issue with VMG8924 or 8324? Could someone be so kind to give me some hints on how to resolve this problem or on how to find any usefull information to debug the issue (maybe using some advanced command throught the shell of the router). The worst thing is that the customer support is not able to reproduce this behaviour.  :(

Many thanks!

I know this is quite late but I've been playing with QoS on the ZyXEL.  It is usually the upstream you will need to control, I don't believe you can do much with the QoS on the downstream, well you can, it just means dropping packets and eventually the sending source notices packets aren't being acknowledged and slows down sending of them letting other ones through.

So looking at QoS for upstream, and it is the saturation of the upstream that can cause downloads to block, then it isn't enabled on the ZyXEL until an upstream bandwidth setting is made, even if QoS radio button is set as enabled. 

Basically you need to set how much of the upstream is managed, and this needs to be less than the available, i.e. a little bit always needs to be reserved so QoS can work, if you sync at 80/20, try setting 18500Kbps.  Some experimentation might be needed here as you don't want to reserve too much, so aim for around 100K to 200K reserved. You can use a speed test to get a rough idea on how much of the upstream is reserved.

If the setting is okay QoS becomes active, we will know this by a new tab becoming visible called "Monitor".  This is a handy tab as it shows how much traffic is flowing through which queues. If the Monitor tab isn't visible then QoS isn't in operation.  If visible, how a look at it, you can set a 5 second refresh to see almost real-time how the queues are operating, and the pre-set up QoS classes will already be splitting the traffic up.

Now you should be able to make changes to classes, and if you set up a test queue, you can put single items in there to make sure the traffic is being collected and queued correctly.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Phil

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:45:21 AM by PhilipD »

manny2003

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 01:14:02 AM »

Hi

I know this is quite late but I've been playing with QoS on the ZyXEL.  It is usually the upstream you will need to control, I don't believe you can do much with the QoS on the downstream, well you can, it just means dropping packets and eventually the sending source notices packets aren't being acknowledged and slows down sending of them letting other ones through.

So looking at QoS for upstream, and it is the saturation of the upstream that can cause downloads to block, then it isn't enabled on the ZyXEL until an upstream bandwidth setting is made, even if QoS radio button is set as enabled. 

Basically you need to set how much of the upstream is managed, and this needs to be less than the available, i.e. a little bit always needs to be reserved so QoS can work, if you sync at 80/20, try setting 18500Kbps.  Some experimentation might be needed here as you don't want to reserve too much, so aim for around 100K to 200K reserved. You can use a speed test to get a rough idea on how much of the upstream is reserved.

If the setting is okay QoS becomes active, we will know this by a new tab becoming visible called "Monitor".  This is a handy tab as it shows how much traffic is flowing through which queues. If the Monitor tab isn't visible then QoS isn't in operation.  If visible, how a look at it, you can set a 5 second refresh to see almost real-time how the queues are operating, and the pre-set up QoS classes will already be splitting the traffic up.

Now you should be able to make changes to classes, and if you set up a test queue, you can put single items in there to make sure the traffic is being collected and queued correctly.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil and thank you very much for your interest in my problem.
You gave a very helpful description on how to correctly setup the QoS and I think other people interested in this procedure will be glad to read your post.
Unfortunately I think that in my case the correct standard procedure you are describing will not resolve my problem since apparently there is a bug in the Zyxel firmware.

It is correct to say that the QoS is not running until you will set a Rate Limit. Despite this the only fact of enabling/disabling the QoS global option has an impact on my issue. This is the situation:

- With global QoS disabled, no problem during the upload bandwidth saturation (reached via http file upload using Gdrive or DropBox)
- With global QoS enabled and no Rate Limit set in the Class configuration, uploading a file will completely block any internet connection
- With global QoS enabled and Rate Limit set, the upload bandwidth saturation will not block the whole connection

Now what I think it is a bug is that in my case, enabling the QoS and setting a Rate Limit, as per the last point above, will not resolve the issue of the blocked internet connection during an http upload. The Rate Limit is apparently ignored and the Monitor tab always show all the counters at 0.
What I have found after weeks of tests is that the QoS Rate Limit is ignored if the WAN connection is made via the PPPoA protocol. Switching from PPPoA to PPPoE resolve the issue and take the situation to the 3 points described above.

Unfortunately I am unable to say if the bug has been fixed since the time I tested the QoS, because in the meanwhile my ISP has changed from PPPoA to PPPoE.

In any case thank you again for your kind support.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:10:21 AM »

Hi

Yes I think there is a bug where QoS is enabled and no rate limit is set.  According to the manual the router should automatically set a rate limited of around 95% of the total data rate, and in this case I would expect to see QoS enabled and the monitoring tab visible, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

PPPoA sounds like a bug as well, somehow it is bypassing the QoS when PPPoA is enabled.

But we make some progress, it's all good fun  :)

Regards

Phil