Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ADSL Signal to Noise Query.  (Read 9490 times)

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
ADSL Signal to Noise Query.
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:25:19 AM »

Hi as many might know i am now using a ASUS DSL AC68U and its great however i have noticed in the Spectrum part of the GUI that the Signal to noise is really great during the day till about 10pm in the evening.

Now not being 100% sure about this i call on the power of the kitzen's to help me see.

After Reboot.png was after a line reset and During the evening is the one that is puzzling me abit.

How can one loose so many tones like that.

Now i know that the light come on not long after 7:30pm in the close where i live and nothing in the house kicks in around 10pm when the SNR dips down from its 6db (Or even 8db) to around 4.0db on the downstream it then struggles to recovery to even 5db before hitting low 4db again.

Could this be what i think it is which is REIN?

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL Signal to Noise Query.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »

Could this be what i think it is,  which is REIN?

If it is,  you should be able to hear it on a radio, so tear yourself away from the computer and listen round in that frequency area, obviously before and after 10 PM. The technique has been well covered in this forum.  When you have evidence, not just guesses, you can go forward.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 11:41:06 AM »

@JGO thanks for the reply.

However i don't own a radio so is there anything else that can be used to detect the 612KHz range?

I know my mobile is out of the question as thats FM only and 612KHz is AM/MW wave length.

I know either way it will requirement to walk the whole Phone line run till i find any interference. 

Also even if i do a scan on the 612KHz not all REIN interference could be picked up.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »

According to the graph the REIN is occurring at a higher frequency than 612 KHz - around 1200KHz.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:09:14 PM »

Ok found an old radio from the days when wheels was round. So going to go down and do a check now and then again at 10pm.

If i find REIN whom do i report it to? I take its the ISP.

Update: Just done a walk now so i can compare later and only one area that sends me to remove the ear piece due to it going nuts will see what its like at 10pm will keep you all updated. Now i need to find away of recording it.

Edit: It would seem i had the settings on Auto for DLA / Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment (ADSL) / Stability Adjustment (ADSL).

So this might be the cause of the issue of missing tones. So everything is now set to default. So it was a Dumb Admin Setup (Slaps wrist)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:14:59 PM by hacktrix2006 »

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 08:10:16 PM »

If i find REIN whom do i report it to? I take its the ISP.

You need to prove it isn't your system  which is picking up a licenced transmitter you don't want due to  inadequate design. For instance what sort of faceplate is used ? any extensions (=aerials)  ?

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 08:28:53 PM »

Basically there are no extensions the line come directly to the master socket which has a MK3 faceplate fitted by the last visit from BTOR. New RJ11 Cable, New router. Every other test done on the line comes back as passed.

Rang the ISP and asked for the SNR to increased to 9db for now. Then placed the Router into GMT 992.1 (ADSL) mode for now as ADSL2 doesn't achieve a sync on the new router only ADSL1 and ADSL2+ does.

Normally ADSL2+ signal doesn't bode well on my connection and normally i run ADSL2 which is stable like ADSL1.

Running on TalkTalk LLU network via 3rd party called SSE Energy whom use Daisy Communications LTD whom then in turn use TalkTalk for the connection to the premises.

Thanks for the reply though JGO
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:42:42 PM by hacktrix2006 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »

I've found these rj11-rj11 cables to be very good
    http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-1m.html

they are shielded and available in longer and v short lengths (incl 0.5m and poss even 0.3m iirc) not just the 1m one shown above. obviously shortest is best. They're also available from ebay sellers.

I've recently had an incredibly bad experience due to poor rj11 cables killing performance, so that taught me that good cables are critical, on weak signal lines anyway.

Also can try: ferrites on the dc power cable to your modem.
Faceplate microfilter to fit on the front of your nte5, is a must, unless you have no phones at all, in which case you don't need a microfilter.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 09:20:26 PM »

I've found these rj11-rj11 cables to be very good
    http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-1m.html

they are shielded and available in longer and v short lengths (incl 0.5m and poss even 0.3m iirc) not just the 1m one shown above. obviously shortest is best. They're also available from ebay sellers.

I would be interested to know as to what is the shielding of that cable connected?

Faceplate microfilter to fit on the front of your nte5, is a must, unless you have no phones at all, in which case you don't need a microfilter.

The "MK3 faceplate" is the latest version SSFP (service specific face plate).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 10:18:24 PM »

Lost a load of tones on ADSL Spectrum. Gone from a Steady 9db to a dropped 6.5db.

The Signal to Noise has also got a heavy loss too.

In a space of a few minutes. So its not looking great at all.

Considering that before hand tones after 32 to 96 was near 50db like now dropped big time. I know there is no point putting this forward to ISP as thier tests and BTOR's tests will come back passed

As for the RJ11 currently using the standard one from the router which is two pin but that tandy link one looks to be a 4 pin. Doesn't look like its got that much of a shield either.

You mention about a ferrite, i am pretty sure they are in the RF3's which was once on the line and didn't make any difference at all.

Micro Filters from routers i don't use as the Mk3 plate is a pre-filter with a xdsl Rj11 and standard telephone port.

Nothing in the house has been switched on since so its not internal either.

But thanks for the replies.

Update:

Just SCP'd into the router and headed straight to /tmp/adsl a had a look in the info_adsl.txt file. Bare in mind that i am on a 9db profile and my line is shorter then what is being quoted on AttenDown.

Code: [Select]
outPkts=2502908
inPkts=2855878
outDiscards=18975
inDiscards=425
outBytes=256567221
inBytes=2834617700
fwVer= FwVer:5.5.1.131_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.2

lineState=up
Opmode=ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
SNRMarginDown=6.0 dB
AttenDown=61.5 dB (Incorrect should be between 41-52db on all other routers tops so it might be what that FTTC will be)
SNRMarginUp=9.0 dB
AttenUp=27.0 dB
DataRateDown=6048 kbps
PathModeDown=FastPath
DataRateUp=768 kbps
PathModeUp=FastPath
WanListMode=1
FECDown=0
FECUp=0
CRCDown=3395
CRCUp=0
HECDown=2383
HECUp=0
ADSLUpTime= 6:45, 5 secs
ADSLActiveTime=0 min, 13 secs
PowerDown=20.0 dbm
PowerUp=11.5 dbm
ATURID=26005443434e0000
ATUCID=ffb54753504e0008
FarEndVendorID=Gspan
AttainUp=800
AttainDown=6552
ShowtimeStart=13
TotalStart=26
ATURANSIRev=0
ATUCANSIRev=1
ATURANSIStd=1
ATUCANSIStd=1
InterleaveDepth=1
AdslStandard=G.DMT
AdslType=ANNEX_A
mtenStandard=G.DMT

Seen another drop twice now to 1.5db and 2.5db. However its only the Download SNR dipping madly the upload staying at a solid 9db
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:09:22 AM by hacktrix2006 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 02:04:05 AM »

About the Tandy cables, burakkucat asked about the shielding. Surely it ought to have an external ground connection, isn't that the point?

I think they might originate from kenable possibly
    http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1092
which doesn't mention shielding unless I've missed it.

<<Modified: 2015-08-08:  the above URL is wrong, the Tandy=AdslNation cables are available from adslnation.com. The kenable ones are an inferior product>>

So in fact as regards the supposed shielding, maybe Tandy got carried away. And the old saying goes -
   Mas breug bhuamsa, bu bhreug thugamsa.
(If it is a lie from me, it was a lie to me.)

I just like them because they score high sync rates repeatedly compared to cheaper-looking cables, they are available in really, really short lengths which should help to make them benign, and the connectors look decent.

I've also used Belkin transparent plastic jacketed ones in the past, but they are too long for me myself.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:10:30 AM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »

About the Tandy cables, burakkucat asked about the shielding. Surely it ought to have an external ground connection, isn't that the point?

b*cat smiles, inscrutably.  :)  Indeed.  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 03:04:02 PM »

Right i have whacked a BT HomeHub v3 on the line and will monitor that tonight to see if its the Phone Line or the Router. If its the router then its going back, It might be a nice router but if its core connection isn't up to scratch then its not worth the priced paid for it.

Edit: Even the BT home Hub is seeing SNR dropping from 9db all ready. So its looking like the Phone Line rather then the Router(s).

Which means it is time to bang my head against the brick wall again. Starting to give up on the internet its causing so much issues and costing me so much in changing the network about internally to insure its not an internal issue.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:48:37 PM by hacktrix2006 »

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 04:15:08 PM »

b*cat smiles, inscrutably.  :)  Indeed.  :angel:

So how do you make an airborne data link ? can't earth that  ( or ground if you must)

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 02:27:00 AM »

Just to give you guys an update. I rang the ISP up to whom before i even declared a possible fault which required a line test already shot a ticket to BTW.

Soon after they did that, they placed the line into G992.1 with a 9db Interleave profile to which still has a drop going on and i mean a drop. Same time at night or round abouts.

Now i am waiting for a response back with the appointment for a PM Slot SFI visit.

The chances are no fault will be found but the issue wasn't an incorrect setting on the ASUS as even a BT HomeHub V3a was getting SNR Drops.

Will let you all know what or if anything has been found by BTOR as soon as i know.
Pages: [1] 2 3