Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 with Sky connected, but not connected with static ip..  (Read 3765 times)

stap78

• Just arrived

Hi

I've lost patience with the Sky SR102 and taken the plunge and bought an HG612 3B. My plan is to use the HG612 as a modem and a Meraki AP to deliver Wifi but I've fallen at the second hurdle! First hurdle was relatively easy in unlocking the HG612 and I have firmware bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002 working.

When I signed up to Sky originally I needed a static IP address on FTTC which after a bit of faffing about they agreed too and configured. Now obviously every guide I've read so far seems to be reliant on Sky/ISP offering a DHCP address to the HG612. So I have extracted my username and password from the SR102 and noted all the static IP info including DNS servers.

Because I have a static IP I am assuming I have to set my WAN settings to static and input all the details in there which I have (although you can't specify a username and pwd).

Now on my status wan network page I'm shown as connected, but with no online duration showing and I'm sending packets but not receiving them?

xDSL status looks fine too, any ideas?

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 with Sky connected, but not connected with static ip..
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 04:52:17 PM »

If you plan to use the HG612 as a modem, you'll still need a router to setup the MER connection.

You should put the later B030SP08 firmware on the HG612.

stap78

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 05:04:18 PM »

Can the HG612 not setup the MER then? I was hoping to use it as a router.

Dray

• Kitizen

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 05:31:38 PM »

Hi

Even with a static IP you usually keep the settings as for dynamic as the IP is still handed out by the ISPs DHCP server, just with a static one you get the same one each and every time.  Not sure if Sky is the exception.

Regards

Phil

clithes

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:05:44 PM »

I think it can, but you said use it as a modem ;)
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-help/53035-how-use-openreach-modem-sky-fibre-router-guide.html

I can confirm this does work.

You can change connection type to Static on the HG612, as per screenshot, but DHCP should still work as previously posted

stap78

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 07:43:29 PM »

I've got mine set as static but don't appear to be receiving any packets even though connected. If you select static theres no where to put the username and password in.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 07:45:24 PM »

Did you do the Telnet thing as per the instructions I pointed you at?

Now you need to start a Telnet session. To Telnet sessions open up a Telnet client and connect to the Modem (192.168.1.1), enter the username and password (both admin) then enter 'sh'. Once you have a Telnet sessions open you need to end the DHCPC process for ptm1.101 and start a new process with the Client Identifier, you can also add a Vendor Identifier to the command ('-v vendorID') if you want. To end the DHCPC process you will need to find the line that says 'dhcp -i ptm1.101 -I ptm1.101' (without quotes)', once you have found that, look at the Process ID (PID) and enter 'kill -9 nnn' where n is the process ID. In the example below the Process ID was 499 so I entered 'kill -9 499'.

How to use Openreach 'Modem' as a Sky Fibre 'Router' (Guide)-telnet-2.jpg

You now need to start the DHCPC process with the Client Identifier, I used an example username and password in the image below. The command is dhcpc -i ptm1.101 -I ptm1.101 -c "123abcd456@skydsl|654dcba321" (with double quotes around the username and password) - you need to replace '123abcd456@skydsl|654dcba321' with your own Sky Fibre username and password. Once you have entered that your modem will be connected to the internet.

stap78

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 07:53:16 PM »

Not yet that's next on the to do list but that as far as I can see would need to be done each time the HG612 reboots, correct?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 08:10:53 PM »

According to those instructions, yes. But it's needed as you have to authenticate on the Sky network to send/receive any packets.

It's a simple matter to automate it.

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 08:48:43 PM »

Static IP on Sky is handed out by them by DHCP, rather than beong configured by the user as a static WAN address, so you need to authenticate by DHCP (with option 61).

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 09:54:31 PM »

as above you actually dont need to do anything for the static ip other than to activate it in your mysky control panel.

normal auth is via dhcp which will allocate a "sticky" ip that could change if you let the dhcp expire or they change the ip block.

with a static ip auth is exactly the same way except they reserve the ip so it always gets allocated by dhcp even with lease expiring.

I have disconnected 4-5 times already since first logging into sky, for router reboots, firmware changes etc. and still have the same ip (not activated my static ip yet).