Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Weird Infinity Issue - possible HR fault?  (Read 30571 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Weird Infinity Issue - possible HR fault?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »

thanks for the info BS as usual.

Although the fatc you had to use a broadcom chipset may not bode well for ECI peeps again :p

Can you reveal if the customer with the vectoring enabled was in a BDUK area or not?

No worries, Chrys ........... although there isn't much info to give I'm afraid  :'( :)

We don't get any information regarding whether the DSLAM was commercial or BDUK installed, so I wouldn't know. The area is what one might call rural (ish) ..... so it may well be BDUK ?. Purely guesswork though.

samwise78

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »

Am also in a rural area (if it makes any difference - doubt it)
Service was enabled via Connecting Shropshire so BDUK too.

Will update thread tomorrow once engineer has visited.

Wondering now which BDCM based device I should look to get so I can monitor goings on a bit better?

HG612?

Don't much like the Billions
Netgear D7000 looked promising - but expensive and getting a mixed reception
Zyxels are rarer than hen's teeth

Anything better on the horizon that doesn't cost the earth?

Cheers again
Samwise

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 01:30:05 PM »

I recommend the HG612 v3B

samwise78

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 02:35:44 PM »

Cheers, yeah just trying to find one on the bay that I don't feel robbed after buying, Adding £20+ to the price for unlocking them is insane given how straightforward it is..

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »

Yeah, looks like someone on Ebay is passing off an ECI modem as a HG612 currently :(

samwise78

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »

Aye, saw that.. Not surprised it's got no bids, not hard to work out the difference is it  :no:
A few on there that don't specify the variant of HG612 either, waiting on replies to clarify before I move on anything.

Given the symptoms on my fault I don't expect the HG612 to fix anything, but at least I'd be able to see what's going on..

Cheers
Samwise

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2015, 04:04:47 PM »

Also, how would the boost engineer have got an 84Mb sync??

That would be perfectly feasible, following a DLM reset (circuit re-calc). At that time, the circuit would be operating to it physical limit. I.e. a totally "wide open" profile.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

samwise78

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 04:20:45 PM »

That would be perfectly feasible, following a DLM reset (circuit re-calc). At that time, the circuit would be operating to it physical limit. I.e. a totally "wide open" profile.

He saw 84Mb with his JDSU while we were waiting for the lift & shift processes to complete..
Immediately before which, the HH5B was connected and I could see the attainable rate (69-70Mb) but there was no sync.
When he unplugged his JDSU and reconnected my kit, the HH5B synced at 68Mb, it didn't sync any higher and drop down which I would have expected following a DLM reset - I'm making a leap though and assuming a DLM reset happens during a lift & shift.

If - as suggested by a few people this was the attainable rate as viewed by his JDSU - then the question still is, why does the HH5B attainable 'only' state (at times) 70Mb and not 84Mb?  ???

Cheers
Samwise

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »

Something doesn't add up here.

When we perform a 'Lift & Shift' on FTTC, we have to be at the Cab to prove that a) The new port actually synchs up, and b) That we can get dial-tone through the copper tie cables.

All new ports given have a default profile of 40Meg DS and 15Meg US. Once our DCoE confirm they can see the 40/15 profile against out JDSU, they immediately disable this profile.
Generally, the 'Lift & Shift' takes approximately 20-30 mins, during which time the old port will also be completely disabled. So the bit I don't get whatsoever is how the engineer could see ANY kind of synch speed during the entire process ?? It's impossible.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2015, 05:02:51 PM »

If - as suggested by a few people this was the attainable rate as viewed by his JDSU - then the question still is, why does the HH5B attainable 'only' state (at times) 70Mb and not 84Mb?  ???

By the time that the HH5B was connected, the 80/20 Mbps profile had been applied to the circuit? Have we considered that the HST-3000c and the HH5B have different impedances and thus load the circuit differently? It is a difficult situation when one attempts to correlate absolute values between devices. Relative values with the same device are quite clear cut.  :-\

. . . I could see the attainable rate (69-70Mb) but there was no sync.

If the xTU-R and the xTU-C were not synchronised, then there is no data exchanged between the two ends of the circuit. No attainable rate should be displayed. It is a physical impossibility. That must be due to a firmware defect of the HH5B.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

samwise78

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2015, 05:17:41 PM »

Something doesn't add up here.

When we perform a 'Lift & Shift' on FTTC, we have to be at the Cab to prove that a) The new port actually synchs up, and b) That we can get dial-tone through the copper tie cables.

All new ports given have a default profile of 40Meg DS and 15Meg US. Once our DCoE confirm they can see the 40/15 profile against out JDSU, they immediately disable this profile.
Generally, the 'Lift & Shift' takes approximately 20-30 mins, during which time the old port will also be completely disabled. So the bit I don't get whatsoever is how the engineer could see ANY kind of synch speed during the entire process ?? It's impossible.

He did say something about 40/15 and did disappear down the road for a while during the process, I was in the room while he called someone to disable the default profile but my recollection of chronology may be skewed as I was looking after my 3 month old lad that morning, and he was onsite for about 4hrs in total  :angel:

It did take around 30 mins to complete and he made a couple of calls during the process, he commented on the 84Mb figure before reconnecting my HH5B on his return to the house - but I didn't get to see his JDSU. Whether that was the actual attainable I don't know, makes sense as my first sync back in March (before the gradual loss of speed) showed an attainable of 95Mb, which soon evaporated..

I'm beginning to think it was the attainable, but can't figure out why JDSU would see attainable of X and why my HH5B would see attainable of Y (Y being X minus 14Mb)

If I'm honest I'll forget all about that if I can get the HR issue sorted, and get something I can actually check my stats on..  :)

Cheers
Samwise

samwise78

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »

If the xTU-R and the xTU-C were not synchronised, then there is no data exchanged between the two ends of the circuit. No attainable rate should be displayed. It is a physical impossibility. That must be due to a firmware defect of the HH5B.

All I was going on was the Helpdesk page of the HH5B while I waited for the guy to come back to the house which looked a bit like this:

6.   Data Rate:   - / -
7.   Maximum Data Rate:   22231 / 69527

Whether this is a firmware bug or not I don't know, the Hub is on Software version v0.07.03.0814-BT and the latest version according to BT is V0.07.01.0235-BT ??  ???

Yet another reason I want to either ditch the Hub completely, or stick a HG612 in front of it..   :wall:

Cheers
Samwise

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2015, 06:21:25 PM »

Certainly looks like BTAgent running things as I said.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2015, 06:53:26 PM »

Certainly looks like BTAgent running things as I said.

I must say that I have never heard of BTAgent affecting sync speeds.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 06:54:43 PM »

Again as I said before, you're on TalkTalk so you wouldn't. As I am on Infinity and used a HH5 I have experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

anything