Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I think my fiddling may give trouble.  (Read 3202 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
I think my fiddling may give trouble.
« on: February 18, 2015, 12:45:45 PM »

I tried to use DNSs other than those of Plusnet and now find that the DNS for Ethernet iis different from Wireless, see attachments. In the Billion config page WAN has
Primary DNS Server   212.159.6.9
Secondary DNS Server   212.159.6.10

and LAN
Primary DNS server   208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS server  208.67.220.220

Is anyone willing to guide me how to safely remove my errors and ensure that throughout I am using  google DNS permanently, despite my stupidity? Please!   

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: I think my fiddling may give trouble.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:08:04 PM »

There are two ways to setup the DNS the router config and the PC side, if your changed the DNS on PC side you will need to flush the DNS using ipconfig /flushdns this sould set it back to routers default.

and then set it to obtain DNS automatically
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:18:16 PM by NewtronStar »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 07:50:20 PM »

I have got both sets of Network Connection details in Windows to show Google as the DNS server! But in the router one set is showing Plusnet and the other Open DNs (see attachments). Is that OK or should the router have same details in each screen grab, or should they both have what is in Network Connection details in Windows?

Apologies for my crass ignorance, but I am getting confused. :'( :-[

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 12:34:46 PM »

Anything you set on the local machine will always over-ride settings that are in the router.

Your 2 screen caps seem to indicate that you have made some settings on the local machine:
For example
Screen cap [1] below shows what my connection looks like if I dont have any local settings and Im using my router DNS settings (192.168.1.1)
Now look at screen cap [2] when Ive physically set the card to locally use google DNS - see the difference?

------------

All looks ok with your setup aside from the fact that at some point you have set OpenDNS rather than google.
To change the Open DNS servers to google you need to go

> Control Panel
> Network & Internet
> Network Connections

Now right click on Local Area Connection [Realteck PCIe GBE]
> Properties

Look for Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on it to highlight it
  When it is highlighted
> Properties Button

This should now open a new window  from where you can change your settings  [screen cap 3]

When done click OK, and then 'Close' in the LAN window which should cause Windows to auto flush any old settings.

--------------

Re your router setup

You need to change the Open DNS ones to google in your second image.

Re the first image Im not sure... someone with a Billion would need to double check this..   but I note it says WAN not Wireless network.  WAN is t'other side of your router and is showing Plusnet connection details, and could be just picking up and displaying the default settings.   As long as youve set it on the LAN side (which includes wireless) then I think you may be ok.

Can someone with a Billion can confirm this please.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »

Thanks, Kitz. So having the router set to a DNS server is in some ways a waste of time. Anyhow by digging I did find  how to get rid of the mistakes; use advanced set up. Now all is OK.

As a BTW, when would one need use the router settings rather than the machine; anyone?

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 02:34:25 PM »

As a BTW, when would one need use the router settings rather than the machine; anyone?

The reason its done this way is because in most instances its better to use DHCP (dynamic host control protocol) rather than manually set it all up - for most users it'd be beyond their abilities anyway.

As part of DHCP the "DHCP Server" (router in your case) will assign the computer an IP address, tell it the default gateway address & DNS address(es) whenever it boots/wakes up.

The router just acts as a DNS forwarder for the computers connected - it just passes the name lookup to the DNS addresses run (in most cases) by the ISP.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 02:04:25 PM »

Routers will _often_ act as an intermediate, a dns proxy, which passes on requests to the external dns servers unless it already has the answer in its own cache anyway. This caching is a great performance benefit. But it isn't always the case. Machines may be set up to go straight out to the external DNS servers. (DHCP is another matter. And in IPv6, the story is a slightly different as DHCP might well not be in use.)

anything