Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ofcom Digital review  (Read 7547 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Ofcom Digital review
« on: July 16, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »

Ofcom have just released a discussion document for the first phase of the Strategic Review of Digital Communications which you can read here.
The report does focus to a degree on whether Openreach should be separated from BT Group.

The discussion document marks the conclusion of the first phase of Ofcom’s Strategic Review of Digital Communications. Ofcom will now take forward the review’s second phase, and is seeking evidence and responses to the discussion document by Thursday 8 October 2015.

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2015/digital-communications-review-discussion/

[Admin - added link]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:00:50 PM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Ofcom Digital review
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:03:39 PM »

Thanks BS - reading now.

The review will address these issues, and Ofcom is today seeking views and evidence on future regulatory approaches, including:

Retaining the current model, where Openreach operates as ‘functionally separate’ from BT, and using regular market reviews to address any concerns around competition;
    Strengthening the current model by applying new rules to BT - such as controls on its wholesale charges with stronger incentives to improve quality of service, or tougher penalties if BT falls short;
    Separating Openreach from BT could deliver competition or wider benefits for end users. It would remove BT’s underlying incentive to discriminate against competitors. Separation could also offer ways to simplify existing regulation. However, the process would be challenging and it may not address some concerns relating to Openreach - such as service quality, or the timing and level of investment decisions;
    Deregulating and promoting competition between networks. Virgin Media and a variety of smaller operators own networks, which allow them to provide phone and broadband services without using BT’s network at all. This kind of ‘end to end’ competition, which sometimes involves running fibre lines directly to premises, can help incentivise Openreach to improve its infrastructure. However, it could also lead to duplication of networks and weak competition.

It will also examine converging media services - offered over different platforms, or as a ‘bundle’ by the same operator. For example, telecoms services are increasingly sold to consumers in the form of bundles, sometimes with broadcasting content; this can offer consumer benefits, but may also present risks to competition.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »

Openreach should definitely be a separate company from BT.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »

I dunno - swings and roundabouts.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 05:11:32 PM »

Thanks Kitz ...... didn't have time to look for a link due to work, but knew yourself or Alan would be along with one post haste.  ;) ;D

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »

I dunno - swings and roundabouts.   

How is it fair for one private company to have a monopoly on the UK's public-access network?

Personally, I'd like the public's money to go into companies other than BT.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »

This is always going to attract debate from pro and anti factions ............ here's our CEO (Joe Garner) thoughts ....... please don't just dismiss out-of-hand, they're the personal thoughts of a FTSE100 CEO. A guy at the top.

The main reasons why I believe the current structure is right are as follows…

Being part of the Group enables us to invest for the future – improving speed and coverage
The most obvious example of this was the decision to invest £2.5bn in the fibre roll out. The Group made this decision in the depths of the recession in 2009. We offered this to all CPs, but only BT Consumer and BT Business confirmed their commitment to buy the product, this gave sufficient demand to support the investment. This fact is just as relevant today as it was in 2009. We have recently announced another massive investment - in NGA2.0 and G.fast - available to all CPs and we are confident once again that we will have demand from within BT. We could not be this confident were we not part of the Group, and we would not have been able to make this announcement now. Had we not invested in fibre in 2009, average broadband speeds in the UK today would be a fraction of what they are, and 23 million customers would be unable to access superfast broadband.

Being part of the Group enables us to provide better service to customers
Our service is improving… we are breaking records for the volume of Ethernet provision, the New Sites tail is reducing and we are well ahead of our Ofcom service levels on provision and repair. We have more to do, as customers increasingly use their line less for voice and more for data, but we are making strides forward against these changing needs. These improvements are helped by the Research, Development and Innovation capabilities that we can access from within the Group. BT TSO have thousands of engineers, scientists and technicians who are dedicated to improving the service our customers receive. For example, our colleagues in TSO proactively test virtually every line in the Openreach network every week. We also file hundreds of patents each year, and our teams at Adastral Park are driving the global telecommunications industry to create the technology that will keep the UK ahead in Europe for the quality of our fibre broadband infrastructure. No other company has this capability, and nor would we if we were separate from BT.

Being part of the Group encourages competition and choice which is good for Britain Plc
The Openreach network (unlike Virgin and other network providers) is open to all to use. Openreach operates on a principle of equivalence… meaning it is available to all, and on equal terms. So whether you are a multinational corporate like Sky, or a one man band, Openreach offers equivalent access to the nation’s communications infrastructure at the same price. Over the last ten years, this has encouraged competition – with over 500 CPs competing against each other on our network. We work in close collaboration with our CP customers to trial and develop propositions to ensure we offer truly effective wholesale offerings that serve end customers. Accessing the capital and expertise available within the Group, coupled with the principle of equivalence meaning everyone can benefit, giving the best of both worlds.

And what have been the results over the last ten years? Since 2006, competition in the market has grown from a handful of CPs, to hundreds. Broadband speeds have risen from under 2MB to over 20MB – now leading all the major countries in Europe. Prices for landlines have fallen (unlike some other utilities) and are among the best value in the world – a fraction of French, German or American offerings. This is good for Britain too, as we all know that an open and accessible internet infrastructure is essential for a thriving international economy.

At Openreach here in the UK, we are building Britain’s connected future. This is just one example of how BT is using the power of communications to make a better world. Our priority every day is to do the best we can to serve our customers in an equivalent and excellent way.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »

this same review by the way is where they also considering changes to how isp's communicate with customers on line management and approved devices.  As well as engineer visits.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »

It is ........... but that is regardless of the considered split from BT Group.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 05:37:28 PM »

yes its nothing to do if they split or not.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 05:38:20 PM »

I just think that BT have invested in the wrong technology. I think FTTP would have been a better investment.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 05:41:30 PM »

There's no argument there, Alec ..... of course FTTP is better technology. It wasn't ever going to be achievable though for a shareholding business.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »

Openreach should definitely be a separate company from BT.

After all it worked out so well when the same was done with British Rail which was split out to become Network Rail managing the infrastructure and the rail companies running the trains.
...errrrr well maybe not actually.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »

The reason I said swings and roundabouts is because there are up and down sides to it. 

The situation is that BT own the monopoly of lines and unless its re-nationalised then there's no way round that fact, because I dont see that happening anytime soon.
Splitting the company up that would only add extra layers.   Its bad enough with chinese walling atm where we are in the ridiculous situation of different sections purchase different bits from other sections and vice versa, it complicates things and often incurs additional expenses for paper work and admin.  I've no doubt that dividing it up will only cause more expense & complication.

For all its faults, can I think of any one company that could do it better or in whose hands I'd like it to be?   Whose?   Murdochs?   No thanks!
Its one of those be careful what you wish for because things could go very wrong.   Its already been acknowledged by reputable sources that if Openreach had been split from BT, then its doubtful if we would even have FTTC now.

Yep I'd love FTTP and there's no denying its the better technology, but splitting of Openreach from BT isn't magically going to make funding available for it.  Where's Jersey Telecom up to these days.   Oh and of course the likes of Murdoch are going to be one of the leaders calling for its split.     This argument will always rage and there will always be one company who is bigger than all the rest...  it depends on just how evil the empire is.
-----

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »

What I personally believe is that the council funds should have gone into companies that weren't BT.

This would not only create greater competition, it would actually accelerate BT's FTTC roll-out.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything