Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DLM hates us, 62 down to 40 now, don't know what to do  (Read 11927 times)

Cloudane

Re: DLM hates us, 62 down to 40 now, don't know what to do
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 04:07:36 PM »

Yep and it strikes me that if it does keep going down and down when setting this up then eventually it'll reach a point where they can officially call it a fault...

Apparently agent B said agent A shouldn't have said what they said (or didn't explain properly) - remote tests will be done in the next 24 hours, and a decision made within 72 whether to send an engineer or not.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »

@tbailey2 - i do have some experimental evidence for the performance detrimental effects of some UPS devices, and I’ve seen horrific pictures of the staircase waveforms that come out of some lookup-table based ac synthesisers.

Mains surge protection between wallsocket and ups is unnecessary, I only do so because I live in an area with very, very wild weather and in a high exposed location. But DSL surge is the real threat for me, not mains, so I'm fixing the problem I can fix not the one I need to fix. :-)

Cloudane

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 07:49:28 PM »

Thanks for the guidance and reassurance with all the restarting etc... after swapping out the modem with the modded one it's synced at 39 (44 attainable) so at least it's not plummeted another 5!

Anyway now logging on mydslwebstats as user "ulv42".  Already after 37 minutes seen e.g. 2814 FEC errors downstream which seems.... interesting.  Better just see how it goes for a day or so now.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »

FECs are fine, it is CRCs and ES that you need to keep an eye on.

Cloudane

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 10:52:17 PM »

OK cool thanks. 

So far had an interestingly huge spike at 21:32 which affected CRCs and FECs alike... could be anything I suppose... not thought of anything.

carrtim1

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 08:34:28 PM »

Hi

I'm having similar problems and getting no where fast. Check out my post http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15671.0.html

Cloudane

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 11:34:34 PM »

Just noticed today that DLM no longer hates us so much and has finally removed the interleaving!  It did a resync 3 days ago (first it's done  since this thread's start) which must be when it did it.  It's connected at 44 now.  Not great, but better.

We have amber status (all 3 levels) on the download, which means it won't get any faster, but at least without red it won't get slower.

Again it's user "ulv42" on mydslwebstats.  You can see when interleaving has turned off, huuuuuuge increase in ES to 450-550/hr per day.  I can see how one particularly bad day can kick it back down to interleaving.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:39:55 PM by Cloudane »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 12:13:27 AM »

It's at amber at the moment with upto 543 errored seconds per day but if you had another bad day it could easily rise above 2880 ES per day (SPEED) or 1440 (STANDARD), if it were my line i'd cap at 39000 kbps just to give you some headroom if such event ever occured again but thats just me over cautious  ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:20:29 AM by NewtronStar »

Cloudane

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »

I was hoping there might be some obvious pattern which would allow us to see why so many errors are happening and do something about it - no idea what though and there's nothing obvious. Maybe it's just "how it is"

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 10:56:24 AM »

@Cloudane  - there's always the usual range of improvements that you can make to improve robustness and noise immunity. Mentioned in many of my earlier posts. Do ask if any questions at all.

Cloudane

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »

Thanks @Weaver. Been having a bit of a look around, for the most part we're well optimised - direct from master socket to modem etc.  However one avenue I saw mentioned was trying a shielded, twisted pair modem cable of which Tandy (didn't know they were still around!) sell a popular 0.5m one online.  Will give that a go as it's cheap enough to be worth a shot!  Since day 1 it's had the original flat cable that came with the HG612, it's even still got the tie on it.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 03:52:07 PM »

I would expect that measures such as posh rj11 cables would be less effective because attenuation may be relatively speaking very low compared to my ADSL "63.5 dB" line.

Ferrites are cheap, and may or may not work, would need careful scientific testing to prove anything.

Cloudane

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 03:21:43 PM »

Never did get around to trying that cable but it is still annoying to have taken such a hit!

DLM eventually relented and took interleaving off in September, giving us 45mbps for a couple of weeks.  Then we had ONE bad minute or so of noise on the graph and it slapped it back on again and has stayed on ever since.

What I don't understand is by road (assuming it doesn't take some scenic route) we're 380m away from the cabinet.  Really we should be getting close to max.  But it's now the same speed if not a bit slower than at work, where we're quite a distance away and originally had a prediction of about 14mbps.

BT seems to have two checkers now, one says guaranteed rate 35mbps+, the other says 45.3-65.8 clean or 32.4-55 impacted.  So we're towards the bottom end of the impacted range.

Attenuation is a steady 19.4db.

Is it worth trying a new faceplate or something, or just a matter of settling for what we have.  For the most part it's good enough, it's just with some big downloads you think "if only it was still as fast as it used to be"

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 02:33:15 AM »

I suggest you get a new DSL cable here: http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-2m.html
I also suggest you get an Openrech mk2 faceplate. Why the mk2? Well I have tried many filters (normal one, mk3 openreach, high speed vdsl) and none were as good as the mk2 in throughput.

Also get rid of any extensions from the faceplate.

My name is GaZaai on MyDSLWebStats and my attenuation is 19.6 even higher than you and I am almost 70mb sync rate. Although I am on a Hawuei cabinet.
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 10:59:10 AM »

I went to MDWS to compare @Cloudane's statistics. DLM de-intervened this morning, but the speed still looks low for that attenuation.

For comparison, I used to have a line with an attenuation of 16.8dB. That line was between 350m and 400m long, and was *just* capable of 80/20 speeds, after three years of crosstalk increases had gradually removed the excess "max attainable".

My rule-of-thumb is that 3dB can be worth around 8-11Mbps, for lines getting speeds at the high end; 60-70Mbps isn't an unreasonable target for @Cloudane, so it looks like something is happening.

I started checking the "Hlog" and "Quiet Line" graphs, looking for external issues. I compared @ulv42 with @gazaai, @splbound and @tenbyboy2, all with similar attenuation figures.

And saw this:
My name is GaZaai on MyDSLWebStats and my attenuation is 19.6 even higher than you and I am almost 70mb sync rate. Although I am on a Hawuei cabinet.

@Gazaai - your line is showing all the classic symptoms of having a "bridged tap". This is an extra wire connected to the main incoming line (aka a "tap"), and has a characteristic look to the Hlog graph - where you see regular dips.

According to this document: http://www.viavisolutions.com/sites/default/files/technical-library-files/sctpsbridgedtap_an_tfs_tm_ae.pdf
Your extra wire is likely to be 66m long.

Back to @Cloudane shortly...
Pages: 1 [2] 3