Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 8mbit MaxDSL disconnects  (Read 2766 times)

razbot

• Just arrived
8mbit MaxDSL disconnects
« on: February 29, 2008, 03:30:27 PM »

Hi all,

I’m racking my tired brain trying to work out if my line is causing me connection issues or it’s a problem in the exchange.

Basically the issue is my DSL connection drops its sync every 7-10mins then resyncs. (its been like this for the day it went in! 6 weeks ago)

However it can go for at least 5hrs before this pattern is seen again. (normally ok from mid 15:00 afternoons until 21:00).. and this is destroying my online gaming as the connections timeout before the router resyncs.

I was contemplating going with BE (currently BT) until I realised that wouldn’t help as they use the same DSLAM and so the problem will still be there, but with a provider that has even less idea of the cause..

Here’s my routers SNR etc.
Type Interleave Path
Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps)
4832Kb 448Kb
Noise Margin
16        26
Output power(dBm)
123      199
Attenuation(dB)
22        11

What have I done so far to try and resolve it:
I’ve changed the ADSL filter
I’ve unplugged all connections that have a REN on the line
I’ve replaced the router (with a really rubbish one from Belkin, one of those 802.11n things)
I’ve spoken to my neighbor and he gets the same thing.  ok so not my house side.
I’ve called BT and raised a fault. (Line test done and recorded back ok)
I’ve resealed the socket outside the front of the house before the PCP as thought damp was getting it
I’ve raised an issue with BT internet and they have no idea. Waiting to investigate it.
So I need to be sure if I should put more emphases on BT to check the line and not chase the internet guys who don’t know the telephony side.

My other plan is waiting for a ST 585 so I can used the DMT tool to change the SNR and reduce the speeds to see if it stabilises better and have some better logs to send to the helpdesk.
One other thing to note it the property if a new build and they lay a new fibre for us to the PCP.

Any thoughts anyone ?

cheers
Raz

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: 8mbit MaxDSL disconnects
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 04:30:47 PM »

Hi and welcome.

First, I would say don't bother with a new router and DMT. It looks as though your target noise margin is already at the maximum value (15 dB) so you won't be able to make it any higher.

You've presumably got a big intermittent source of interference at some times of the day. I suggest that you have a read of this thread which seems to be rather similar and the same way of tracing it may help.
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 06:49:40 PM »

I agree with Roseway, this dosn't look like a router type issue, very interesting that your neighbour gets the same thing, thats the most telling thing.

As for "Ok it's not my house side" it's always always worth checking by removing the faceplate of the mastersocket/NTE5 (can't find the link to the nte5 on this site, if you have one it has a seam running accross the front face almost half way up, behind the plate ther's a test socket, try the router via that socket.

"I’ve resealed the socket outside the front of the house before the PCP as thought damp was getting it" :scare: NOOOOO. definately not a good idea. How exactly did you seal it ?  This could well cause a charge on a visit. Securing back any damage which would other wise cause a hazard is fair enough (bearing in mind be very sure this is the telephony your playing with not a mains supply in which case leave well alone as both can sometimes look similar) any thing else could dent your bank balance.

Ok now you's seen inside the box, if it was a rhombus shaped grey box with a screw holding the lid at the base, the lid having to slide up in order to open (called a BT66), did it have a black plastic block with brass screw terminals, if so did the wires run run into this  ? if yes then a bt engineer would recrimp this for you. Any other type of box including a BT66 are the wires connected with a blue coloued connector? Is it a clear coloured, or dark grey ?

All the crimps used to connect your wires have a gel within them to waterproof them, in theory they can remain imersed in water for a short time before causing any problems, hence block terminals (the connection boxes you may have on yout house) are well vented and not completely sealed. Iv'e been into quite a few joints where due to a leak they've been completely full of water for some time. 50-100's of lines and you still may have just the one that was faulty.

"should put more emphases on BT to check the line and not chase the internet guys who don’t know the telephony side." If you have a broadband faulty then go via your ISP so the engineer you get covers broadband as well. On an broadband fault or any fault the 1st thing any engineer will check is the condition of the line any way, it's second nature.

Does you neighbour suffer drop-outs exactly the same time you do?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 07:05:53 PM »

razbot

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »

Thanks for the responses.

I agree with Roseway, this dosn't look like a router type issue, very interesting that your neighbour gets the same thing, thats the most telling thing.

>I really don't like the belkin and sounds like i might get better tolerance to interfaces from a speedtouch so £15 well spent i hope.

As for "Ok it's not my house side" it's always always worth checking by removing the faceplate of the mastersocket/NTE5 (can't find the link to the nte5 on this site, if you have one it has a seam running accross the front face almost half way up, behind the plate ther's a test socket, try the router via that socket.

>didn't think of trying that, i did improve my speed in my last flat by removing the terminator from the socket, but BT gets upset when they cant find the length of the line.  ???... I'll try the test socket after this post and see what happens.

"I’ve resealed the socket outside the front of the house before the PCP as thought damp was getting it" scare NOOOOO. definately not a good idea. How exactly did you seal it ?  This could well cause a charge on a visit. Securing back any damage which would other wise cause a hazard is fair enough (bearing in mind be very sure this is the telephony your playing with not a mains supply in which case leave well alone as both can sometimes look similar) any thing else could dent your bank balance.

Ok now you's seen inside the box, if it was a rhombus shaped grey box with a screw holding the lid at the base, the lid having to slide up in order to open (called a BT66), did it have a black plastic block with brass screw terminals, if so did the wires run run into this  ? if yes then a bt engineer would recrimp this for you. Any other type of box including a BT66 are the wires connected with a blue coloued connector? Is it a clear coloured, or dark grey ?

All the crimps used to connect your wires have a gel within them to waterproof them, in theory they can remain imersed in water for a short time before causing any problems, hence block terminals (the connection boxes you may have on yout house) are well vented and not completely sealed. Iv'e been into quite a few joints where due to a leak they've been completely full of water for some time. 50-100's of lines and you still may have just the one that was faulty.

> too late just seen my latest bill and they charged me!,  I'm disputing it as they didn't fix anything. not hopeful. All i did was dry the grey box and seal it with waterproofing as it looks really bad.. now that i know its got its own waterproofing i guess that wouldn't have helped.  It was the type with the crimping terminals and the grey box screwed straight into the brick work.

"should put more emphases on BT to check the line and not chase the internet guys who don’t know the telephony side." If you have a broadband faulty then go via your ISP so the engineer you get covers broadband as well. On an broadband fault or any fault the 1st thing any engineer will check is the condition of the line any way, it's second nature.

> The good news is after about my 5 calls to openworld they saw the connection disconnect while running a test on it and confirmed it's not dropping out due to faulty equipment, so they have raised a fault back to wholesale to investigate.
I did think at one point it might be noise related as a baby monitor I use has really bad interference coming from next door, however its always on and not intermittent. I also have X10 signals galore been sent around the house to control stuff. I've got a filtered power block for my sound system which should filter out any noise on the mains socket, so ill try this too.

Does you neighbour suffer drop-outs exactly the same time you do?

> My neighbor didn't really know, all he said is he get his Internet disconnection every ten minutes or so too. I'll try the more savvy neighbor on the otherside and see if its the same story.

Thanks again for your help.   ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:53:39 AM »

>> > too late just seen my latest bill and they charged me!,  I'm disputing it as they didn't fix anything.

Worth disputing anyhow - since Ive seen too many cases of late where customers have automatically been charged when an engineer has been called out and they reported "no fault found".   Theres a longer story behind it - but its very late and Im still trying to catch up on the last few days posts, so I wont bore you ;)

Did you manage to get any more info out of your neighbour about the timings?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything