Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: want to buy an ISP ?  (Read 3138 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
want to buy an ISP ?
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »

Courtesy of http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3433-tiscali-boss-gets-boot.html

Tiscali SpA has replaced Chief Executive Tommaso Pompei with board member Mario Rosso and indicated that the for sale signs may indeed be going out. Pompei will stay on as Director until the approval of the 2007 financial results.

Although no official word has come from Tiscali, reports at Reuters indicate that Italy's Fastweb, Vodafone and BT Group have all approached Tiscali as potential buyers. Whether they would acquire the entire business, or if it will be split up is unsure. Some bidder may, for example, only be interested in the UK arm of the business. Tiscali also released preliminary revenue figures showing a 34% increase to 910 million euros (£695 million). The speculation and denial in recent weeks of Tiscali looking to sell has been confusing, and perhaps when their latest results are out, we might hear definitive plans of what is happening with Tiscali.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: want to buy an ISP ?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:04:38 PM »

tiscali have no understanding of the hurt and heartache they have inflicted on their victims.
tiscali should be made to pay compensation to any firm taking on the customers left with unreliable connections after tiscalis asset stripping exercise.
tiscali should NOT be allowed to profit from their cheating and lies

Ooh... fighting talk :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:13:18 AM »

Um..... is this supposed to be new news?
Im sure that Tiscali were about to put themselves up on the market for a buyout last year.

---

Edit no Im not dreaming - as mentioned on my "who Ownz Joo" page from and a link on there

Tiscali, the giant Italian internet company, has put its UK division up for sale with a price tag of up to £600m.

The company, which has 1.4 million broadband and 50,000 pay-TV customers in Britain, sent a memorandum of sale to potential buyers last week. BSkyB, Orange, Carphone Warehouse, NTL and BT are all likely to be interested in the business, as they try to consolidate their positions in a viciously competitive market.

The date of the article - Sunday, 17 December 2006 - Tiscali sparks bid battle with £600m UK sale

What is interesting to note - is that in 2006 the reported profit was £30m - and now they are saying £695 million for the past 12 months
If Ive read it right - then thats one hell of an increase in profits.   
Yep they may now have more customers... but for that amount of increase then that does smell of increasing profits ready for buyout at the expense of  customer service and cutting back on bandwidth.

They certainly wont be the first ISP thats done this ;)... 
But in view of the comments coming from customers  on the likes of Nilly, Pipex etc who at least had a pretty decent connection at one time and therefore notice when things aint right.....  well....   I dont think I need to say more :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:43:06 PM »

£600 for an isp :hmm: I'll check my pockets  :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 05:52:10 PM »

:lol:

You conveniently overlooked the additional 0's.   Is that wishful thinking - or the "laymans" valuation of Tiscali   :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »

hehehe - I wouldn't pay 600p for Tiscali :P

Although, outgoings wise... I wouldn't imagine Tiscali really have that much in the way of Central Pipe costs :-X
Chris