Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A phone lines journey?  (Read 7025 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: A phone lines journey?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 03:44:13 PM »

It's the phone when it rings that interferes with the broadband there is no ringwire connected so where could the HR fault be PCP cab, telecom exchange or much closer to premises ?

The developing, latent, HR fault would be somewhere between the PCP and the NTE5/A. In other words, somewhere in the D-side cabling.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »

Well there is 1000 meters on the D/side so maybe will replace the NTE5/A lower front face-plate as there is filtering circuitry on this plate.

What i did was to remove phone plug from lower face-plate and rang my number and US errored seconds showed up in DSL stats then i removed the lower face-plate and rang my number and no US errored seconds showed up  :-\

And had a look inside see image below

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:29:42 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 06:06:42 PM »

Well there is 1000 meters on the D/side so maybe will replace the NTE5/A lower front face-plate as there is filtering circuitry on this plate.

What i did was to remove phone plug from lower face-plate and rang my number and US errored seconds showed up in DSL stats then i removed the lower face-plate and rang my number and no US errored seconds showed up  :-\

And had a look inside see image below

That image is interesting. With the face-plate dismantled, you should be able to trace out the circuit. It does not appear to be particularly complex.  ;)

I have attached, below, the second page of a two page Pressac data sheet for the NTE5/A. Back when that data sheet was created, the only filtering present was a 22 mH choke in series with the "bell wire".

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »

I seem to recall in the dim and distant past, that although the circuitry remains the same within the NTE, the boffins decided to redesign the solder-tracks as a result of incoming ringing voltage creating errors on the DSL side of the circuit ???

I have definitely seen the older-style soldering tracks where T2,T3 and T5 run in parallel for most of their short journey, whereas the later versions see the 'Bell-wire' (T3) track being completely detached from the T2 and T5 tracks.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 07:03:29 PM »

When i removed the Lower face-plate i cleaned all the terminal points (scaped the metal pins out and in)  have not made a phone call to my landline since replacing the lower face-plate.

Edit Lower face-plate re-installed and rang are number 10 CRC's and 4 errored seconds in the Upstream showed up straight away on DSLstats at 19:12 you can have a look on My MDWS :(
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:38:28 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 08:02:47 PM »

Edit Lower face-plate re-installed and rang are number 10 CRC's and 4 errored seconds in the Upstream showed up straight away on DSLstats at 19:12 you can have a look on My MDWS :(

Yes, I have seen the CRC spike. You could trace the circuit on the lower face-plate and then, by de-soldering or cutting, remove the bell wire pin of the plug part . . .  :-\

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 08:51:50 PM »

Yes, I have seen the CRC spike. You could trace the circuit on the lower face-plate and then, by de-soldering or cutting, remove the bell wire pin of the plug part . . .  :-\

Well lets see my lower front plate does not have a BT logo like this image below but it does a have the UK Reg number and looks the same.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 09:39:03 PM »

I can confirm that the physical construction, as shown in your latest image (Lower face-plate 2.PNG), corresponds with the printed circuit wiring as shown in the earlier image (Lower face-plate.jpg).  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »

I can confirm that the physical construction, as shown in your latest image (Lower face-plate 2.PNG), corresponds with the printed circuit wiring as shown in the earlier image (Lower face-plate.jpg).  :)

Well B*CAT with the lower front-plate removed i inserted the plug from telephone cable direct into the SSFP and made a call to my landline number the CRC/errored seconds showed up.

Project History

1. phone cable disconnected from lower front-plate = errored seconds when phone rings

2. lower front-plate removed & phone cable disconnected = no errored seconds when phone rings

3. lower front-plate removed & phone cable connected to SSFP = errored seconds

to me it looks like an SSFP issue rather than the lower front-plate i just don't know any thought's are very welcome.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 10:46:35 PM »

:hmm:  That is a bit of a puzzle.  ???

Does the telephone you have used in the experiments need a connection via the "bell wire" to signal an incoming call?

I am still pondering if it is some form of stray coupling from the mid-point junction of the series resistor-capacitor shunt across the pair that is "causing the damage".

I think we are going to need the thoughts of others . . .  :-\

Pages: 1 [2]