Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTDP - where are we? Is it real?  (Read 5888 times)

KIAB

• Reg Member
Re: FTTDP - where are we? Is it real?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »

Great post Wombat. :thumbs:

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »

Replying to myself feels a little narcissistic...

The growth is all in video - and the majority of that video goes in one direction only.

This reminded me of a great picture I saw a few years ago, courtesy of Wired.com
It shows how the makeup of content flowing over the US portion of the internet has changed over the years 1990-2010.
Attached below, and full story here: http://www.wired.com/2010/08/ff_webrip/

FTP was king in 1990
WWW was king in 2000
P2P was king in 2005
Video was king in 2010

Its a shame the graph stops there, because video was only really starting to get a head of steam in 2010. Time for a new one, Wired?

Remember P2P and traffic management? In 2005, P2P was set to kill ISPs' bandwidth, because it ate through as much as it possibly could - hence all the traffic management around this time. Traffic graphs from Plusnet showed that overnight, P2P consumed as much bandwidth as all the daytime services combined.

Nowadays, the peak happens because of video. And that stuff can't be easily time-shifted away.

I managed to find a report that continues on from the Wired one, telling us what volumes look like today - but only for peak hours, rather than accumlated over 24hrs.
https://www.sandvine.com/downloads/general/global-internet-phenomena/2014/2h-2014-global-internet-phenomena-report.pdf

And, according to that, streamed video and audio accounts for 68%; Netflix alone accounts for 35% of the peak-hour traffic in the US.

European volumes are different, with streaming accounting for 42% on average - but varying between 20% and 67% depending on country. It seems some countries over here can match the US, based on availability of things like iPlayer and Netflix.

[attachment deleted by admin]

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »

The other alternative is to make a symmetrical product for all, which lowers the downstream. Then everyone suffers from a crippled downstream for the benefit of the few.
They could easily do a symmetrical product of 150/150 on FTTH or FOD but they push downstream only  that IMO is backwards thinking IMO as by have always assumed upload speed to be unimportant even there BTW TAP3 test only measures upto 2mbps that's really upto date.not even if they roll out this tech, and get speeds higher they won't increase the upstream speeds
Pages: 1 [2]

anything