Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Help prior to OR visit - intermittent drops following months of uptime  (Read 10068 times)

tristan

G.INP has just been switched back on and I'm back to where I was before - 78.8ish down, 20 up, but with interleaving at 8. A few more errors than I remember, but guess things are settling down.

Now to wait for the next hot day! I'm collating the times when the SNMR goes wayward, so if it is REIN I have something to guide neighbours etc if they have switched things on and off at those times.

01/07 - 1345-1600
02/07 x
03/07 - 0700-1300
04/07 x
05/07 x
06/07 x
07/07 x
08/07 x
09/07 - 1000-1300
10/07 - 0942-1447
11/07 - 0957-1500ish
12/07 x
13/07 x
14/07 x

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

That's interesting you had the G.INP Mk1 before your line was reset and now you have G.INP Mk2 i know it's still being rolled out it just seems a bit of coincidence.

tristan

78.8ish down, 20 up, but with interleaving at 8.

Spoke to soon - a couple of hours after posting this the SNMR dropped coinciding with my next door coming home for lunch. Alas, my neighbour the other side (where the cable runs along their front wall and thus a more likely source of REIN?) was also in.

As per usual, following this glitch, the tones in the 800 - 1200ish bands (U1?) disappear and don't come back. And something happens at the 250ish and lower region. So my upload speed doesn't recover and seems to impact on my download.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

I use Tonys MDWS Resyncs and Los option quite a lot when Rein interference has effected a line to point a when it resync's and the timestamp is very useful to see a pattern emerging.

tristan

Ah yes - that is a better way. Just need to filter out restarts!

Just got myself a BananaPi to run DSLstats, headless and taking its power from a spare USB port on the router - far, far faster than the RaspberryPi. Means my laptop can come with me again!

tristan

It was going so well... 8 days at decent speeds with no drops (other than ones caused by me). Last 3 days at 79 down, 20 up.

Then this morning - attached pic.

I'm just off the phone to one of the ex-BT engineers advertising around these parts. He pointed out that,  as he could hear the crackle on the line as I was calling, it is most likely a HR fault and not REIN that is the root cause. Even if it were intermittent.

So, what do you guys think? Is REIN audible? Would a crackle at the time of the drops (which I did tell both OR guys about when they came out) be intermittent / HR related?

I'll need to re-open my case with the twitter guys...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Not REIN but an intermittent HR fault is very likely. The evidence --
  • Audible crackling when the telephone is used.
  • A sudden drop in the US SNRM with subsequent erratic behaviour.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tristan

Quick update - BT man just left. He re-did the connections at the cabinet, replacing the 'red' joints with 'gels'. He also mentioned the cabling was old and quite tight, so did what he could to improve things.

He also said my 'AC'(?) was very good.

Looking at the stats, the immediate difference is that my HLog graph has now regained a line between ~800 and ~1200 (the up bit in green - this hasn't updated on MDWS as of this post), like it did a couple of months ago. This disappeared recently during all these issues.

Fingers crossed this has sorted things... Will report back!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:37:15 AM by tristan »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

He also said my 'AC'(?) was very good.

That will undoubtedly be "AC balance".  :)

Hopefully your problem is now resolved.

tristan

Re: Help prior to OR visit - intermittent drops following months of uptime
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2015, 12:21:10 PM »

Well, it's been a week since the work at the cab and I'm pleased to report that I've not had a dropped connection or speed drop in that time.

My SNMR is fairly constant at 6.3 down and 15.5 up, with speeds of 79 and 20. Pings to bbc are ~13ms, got as low as 11ms initially.

The only negative is the amber light in the bottom light of the middle set on MDWS - it seems I have an increased errored seconds on the upstream.

So fingers crossed this doesn't impact anything and everything else stays the same. Thanks for all the help through this - from HR -> REIN -> HR - greatly appreciated.

Tristan

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Help prior to OR visit - intermittent drops following months of uptime
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 02:37:22 PM »

Thank you for that update. It seems as if all is now well. :thumbs:

That amber light (better than red) signifies that the DLM should not take any action, either way. Don't worry too much about it but just occasionally review the status.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything