Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Plusnet have pulled their Performance/Usage Graphs  (Read 27131 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Plusnet have pulled their Performance/Usage Graphs
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2015, 10:05:26 PM »

I think A&A's prices are quite disgusting, and capped usage allowances.

So I take it, not a fan!    ;D ;D

I don't work for A&A, I'm just a happy customer who demands an extremely fast (well, wilt-free) performance, free bondage, IPv6, static routed IPv4 address block for free (no NAT) and umpteen other good things that I won't bore people with as there's an existing happy-camper thread.

But I do approve of the charge-for-usage model and would be dismayed should A&A join the sheep and offer a supposed all-you-can-eat buffet, as it makes no logical sense. That's how they keep the network measurably congestion-free (and publish stats).

I also approve strongly of esteemed fellow kitizen jsamuel having a pop at them, as voices who are silent do no-one any good at all, and your comments about pricing might benefit me some day! :-)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:14:45 AM by Weaver »

jsamuel

• Reg Member
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2015, 10:17:13 PM »

I am sorry if I was a bit loud with my thoughts, I usually don't make the habit of throwing eggs.  :D
Of course, it does have its benefits. Native IPv6 and all the rest. There's very few ISPs that offer any of that, which is probably why it's so expensive as there's noone to compete with it.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2015, 10:44:53 PM »

@jsamuel - I think A&A's pricing has much more to do with the need to keep performance compromise-free by buying lots of expensive bandwidth from BT, TalkTalk Wholesale and the transit providers. The reason I say this is because when you look at their tariff structure (unfortunately) they pass on per-byte costs from BT and TT straight through to the customer, as evidenced by the fact that 20CN costs twice as much as 21CN in office hours, plus comments from RevK, the boss of A&A, about what A&A have to pay out.

There are a number of free services, like static IPs that other ISPs charge you for. I simply asked for a bigger IPv4 address block and I got it, given justification for RIPE from the projected number of devices, and it was no charge and done within minutes. Unfortunately, now IPv4 space is running out / has run out completely (depending on how you look at it), they can't give out blocks of IPv4s any more and each user just gets one free static IPv4 plus huge amounts of IPv6 space (a /48 in my case !!).

But having staff who know far more about it than you do and who don't simply recite moronic crap from a script is bound to be something that costs. I used to tell myself that I didn't need customer service, which is not true unless you are incredibly lucky and never need anything changing or upgrading.

There are about a dozen IPv6 ISPs in the UK now, including a couple of the big boys who are finally getting there.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2015, 10:47:35 PM »

@jsamuel  - and no offence was ever taken! No problems. ;D

As I said, I don't work for A&A, I'm just a customer.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »

Btw A&A don't have usage caps. (Although I think you can set things up that way if you want to, which keeps you safe. I don't use the Home::1 or Office::1 offerings, so I'm not up to date, but I think, if memory serves, that you have a choice as to what happens when your usage passes your chosen threshold.)

mrpops2ko

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2015, 09:05:54 AM »

Don't you find it a bit weird that upstream is free? I mean if you thrashed your upstream 24/7 you'd be able to do like 5TB a month (assuming you get the full 20mbit, short line etc, FTTC) - how come that is not metered and someones usage habits that are heavy upstream usage do not get penalised, yet someone who downloads similar figures would be faced with massive charges.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2015, 09:24:16 AM »

It is a bit weird that upstream is free. BT must have their reasons, but I have no idea why.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »

I expect they make the assessment that almost nobody will have that much data to upload. It's easy to find hundreds of gigabytes to download (although goodness knows what people do with all that data) but why would most people want to upload vast amounts? And where would it come from?
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2015, 10:28:09 AM »

Cloud backups for instance.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2015, 01:20:22 PM »

its free due to how they billed for their bandwidth, on percentile charging you pay for only the 'highest' of downstream and upstream usage not both.

So lets say e.g. your peak time demand is 310mbit/sec downstream and 26mbit/sec upstream, you are billed for the 310mbit/sec only.  That means your upstream has 284mbit/sec of available capacity that is free to use.

In datacentre's its often the opposite way, you can often get free downstream traffic.

This is also why aaisp are generous on their dusk hours units.  As that usage is free for them to provide.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:25:50 PM by Chrysalis »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »

> is also why aaisp are generous on their dusk hours units.  As that usage is free for them to provide

And the AAISP offer is still on, 1 TB download for £3.90 between 02:00 and 06:00. I make as much usage of it as I can, downloading movies in the wee small hours. I will set Windows boxes to do Microsoft Update starting just after 02:00. Apple iOS devices have been set up so that automatic update is tuned off, in case it runs in the daytime, instead updates are done manually late at night.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

anything