Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Plusnet have pulled their Performance/Usage Graphs  (Read 27137 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Plusnet have pulled their Performance/Usage Graphs
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 12:20:25 PM »

I was with Plusnet before I switched to TalkTalk (that was at the end of 2013).

I remember the congestion issues starting just as I left, the forum staff becoming less and less useful in what they could do, the constant profile mismatching, the constant belittling of people complaining by long-time forum users who obviously had some issue with things going wrong...

I don't like TalkTalk at all from a support point of view but when the connection works, it just works.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »

I have a funny sort of tingle in my whiskers that during the next six months there will be a general exodus (of the more knowledgeable users) from Plusnet to other providers.  :(

Ah, it's not just me then.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »

But where will all these people go?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 02:48:26 PM »

I've been a PN customer since 2003, and I had to say when I got the email about the line rental increases the first thing I thought of was looking elsewhere for line rental, perhaps I should consider moving completely although at the moment I have no service issues, but it is worrying what's happening.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 11:12:35 PM »

...I have no service issues, but it is worrying what's happening.

Same here. I'll probably hang on until a fault occurs - and if it's not dealt with efficiently - it's MAC time.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 12:31:37 AM »

<snip> - it's MAC time.

<Cough> (Another fur-ball!) MACs no longer exist. Ofcom kicked them into the great litter tray during the latter part of last month (June 2015).  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

andy265

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 11:03:02 PM »

I've been with Plusnet for a long time and at work we have about 300 users with them, but I don't like the way things seem to be heading.

I got the email last week about the phone price changes and they said I could leave without paying off my contract if I wanted to. I can the same services cheaper from TalkTalk so I've placed an order with them. Might be a mistake, I'll find out on the 23rd :)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2015, 11:17:53 PM »

I've been with Plusnet for a long time and at work we have about 300 users with them, but I don't like the way things seem to be heading.

I got the email last week about the phone price changes and they said I could leave without paying off my contract if I wanted to. I can the same services cheaper from TalkTalk so I've placed an order with them. Might be a mistake, I'll find out on the 23rd :)

Do please post your findings, my Plusnet contract expires on 22nd August....
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »

TT have supplied the telephony and broadband services to The Cattery for over eight years . . .

If I was a person feline who required support from his provider, TT would have been a bad choice.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2015, 11:49:27 PM »

Plusnet are doing something stupid right now.   My speeds were all over the place tonight.

I raised a ticket last Monday about being limited to 12-15Mbps on a single thread because I was having issues with general surfing and web-pages failing to completely load.
It took them 5 days to respond (until today) with the standard do a BTw speedtest are you using wifi etc.   I'd already answered these questions when I raised the ticket.    They also failed to see there was an issue because my httpx6 was fine  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 03:31:47 AM »

for reference I never got an email about the price rises, its possible its because i have a migration pending but I think that shouldnt be a reason to not send it.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 06:02:46 AM »

@kitz - have you already checked to see if there’s a problem with Plusnet’s DNS ? (by switching to Google or OpenDns temporarily)

I had this kind of problem a few times with different customers and it’s sometime a factor even though there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 12:10:29 PM »

@Weaver, thanks for the suggestion.   I use google DNS.   

The 'congestion' issues have been running for a while and Plusnet were saying it wasnt them.   There is/was a possibility that if it wasnt their gateways, then it was part of the BTw core transit.   In view of the fact that RevK was also kicking up a fuss then it was a possibility that this is true.   The difference is PN has a lot more customers than AAISP so therefore a chance that more users would be noticing this.   I think what irked their users is how long it took PN to acknowledge there was an issue, their apparent lack of enthusiasm in tackling BTw and total lack of feedback to the EU's.

The past week though something different has been happening and I dont know what - its very strange and seems to affect single threads v multi-threading.  Information coming from Plusnet has been cryptic.    Its not just me thats been reporting strange speedtest results.    For example chrys and npr also are seeing similar.

The only feedback weve had so far is this.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2015, 01:06:37 PM »

also whats alarming for me kitz is bgn is the future at plusnet eventually they will ditch the non bgn gateways, yet every single bgn gateway always gives me peak time packet loss.

Sky migration in 4 days.

on tbb andrew published multi threaded speedtest results and suggested the problem at plusnet wasnt an issue, I (and others) asked for the single threaded results but he says he cannot publish them at the moment, I do see on the tbb blog they were published in 2014 tho, but he wont do it currently.

Also ignition posted on another forum that there is 2 known other issues inside the BTw network which by his estimation is affecting 10% of all BTw customers and he estimated it at around 90k plusnet customers affected.  So from my point of view BT/plusnet are sitting on their arses with 10% of their customers affected not treating it as an emergency, hence the migration.

Also remember this BTw access network was essentially built for plusnet and to comply with ofcom (it also serves many small resellers like aaisp), BT retail use a different network for their customers which I am pretty sure gets much more attention and investment from BT.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:13:44 PM by Chrysalis »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 01:18:48 PM »

suggested the problem at plusnet wasnt an issue, I (and others) asked for the single threaded results

But it most certainly was for me.  The limitation of single thread to 12/15Mbps will affect streaming and http.    I hadnt done speedtests for ages, but I did so purely because I'd got home and found that general surfing wasnt working.   Pages werent downloading properly and were taking a while to load even sites.    It was only after I'd experienced the issue first hand that I went over to the PN forums to see why things were so slow.
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6