Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Upset DLM  (Read 5024 times)

jamesfoley

Re: Upset DLM
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 11:02:32 AM »

Alright, thanks again for your help.

Just a quick question regarding noise margin, from install date up until this morning (1 month) it was reading as 9 / 11, but obviously now its lower. Does this have anything to do with DLM intervention or just a coincidence that its now lower than before?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »

If that's on your HH5A, I used to find that BT loved to randomly change the numbers using BTAgent.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »

The ISP has no control over FTTC DLM except the profile DLM uses.

The profile in itself doesn't actually change anything (despite at least one ISP I know being convinced that it does ::)) in terms of what controls are placed on the line - what it will change is how quickly DLM will make adjustments to the line as different profiles allow more or less errors in a 24 hour period.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 11:47:56 AM »

@AlecR, Dray

My apologies. I had thought this was ADSL2+, not FTTC.

[I only know about ADSL1 / 20CN, where the interleave is controllable, because my own ISP altered the setting for me, and I can see the change on their website's control page.]

jamesfoley

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 08:39:03 PM »

Okay, so I've managed to get the HG612 working along with DSLstats and MyDslWebStats. I can see that the line has an interleaving depth of 1195, which I'm assuming isn't great, but I don't really know how to read these stats.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 09:06:37 PM »

Your connection looks fine although there seems to be some interference at 4476khz which is affecting your upstream. DLM should relent in a few days and remove the interleaving.

jamesfoley

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 06:58:03 AM »

So after a couple of days, interleaving has finally been lifted, but I do have a short RJ11 cable and filtered faceplate I'd like to fit to replace he shoddy long cable and microfilter.

How long do I leave my line before I start unplugging things again? I thought I was being careful when I was removing things before but the DLM still intervened.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 07:06:34 AM »

> How long ...

leave alone for 30 mins minimum, then off for 30 mins minimum.

Hoping I recall Kitz' recommendations from the DLM pages correctly.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:22:30 AM by Weaver »

jamesfoley

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 08:01:44 AM »

Yea, that's the rule I stuck to before. Anyway, gave it a shot, replaced my microfilter with a Mk3 openreach faceplate, and the long RJ11 cable with a 0.5m Tandy cable. Looks a lot tidier but not sure its actually had any effect on the line.

Still seeing what looks to me like quite a few CRC errors, but then I'm not sure what's normal. If anyone has a spare couple of minutes, could you take a quick look at my MyDslWebStats profile?

Also, can CRC errors be caused between the router and the modem, or is it modem to cab or cab all the way to router?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 05:30:59 PM by jamesfoley »

jamesfoley

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 01:31:07 PM »

Anyone know what might be the potential cause of the CRC errors on my line, or is it normal to get them this frequently?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »

Yea, that's the rule I stuck to before. Anyway, gave it a shot, replaced my microfilter with a Mk3 openreach faceplate, and the long RJ11 cable with a 0.5m Tandy cable. Looks a lot tidier but not sure its actually had any effect on the line.

Still seeing what looks to me like quite a few CRC errors, but then I'm not sure what's normal. If anyone has a spare couple of minutes, could you take a quick look at my MyDslWebStats profile?

Also, can CRC errors be caused between the router and the modem, or is it modem to cab or cab all the way to router?

Thanks in advance.

its modem to cab/vice versa. While there may be errors between modem and router (if you're using a bad cable for example, or in an electrically noisy environment) its very unlikely and in either case the modem stats won't be aware of them because its looking at the dsl side of things.

jamesfoley

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 02:21:23 PM »

Ah right, thats fair enough. The only real thing I can think of then is the possibility that the plug socket right next to my phone socket is potentially creating some sort of interference, but the only thing plugged into that is the modem itself.

Seeing as the line is pretty stable anyway, is it even worth trying to hunt down the cause of those errors?
Pages: 1 [2]