Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reclaiming my hardware w/Linux - lost sound & don't know why...  (Read 9748 times)

tb01

• Just arrived
Reclaiming my hardware w/Linux - lost sound & don't know why...
« on: February 28, 2008, 12:35:51 AM »

Hi Folks! 

Good to see the Linux tutorial in the forum!  Certainly something I will be browsing through, since I'm ~finally~ making my break from the Redmond extortionists.  I'm just so tired of being Microf&@ked, if you know what I mean...  After all, I bought the parts, I put them together - I feel like this -should- be MY computer.  Silly me...

Got a quick issue (I hope).  I d/l and ran live PCLinuxOS 2007, and being thusly impressed, installed it on my desktop system to dual boot with WinXP and Win98.  Well, 98 ain't workin, but that's not why I'm here.

Today, when I booted Linux to look at the GRUB menu (trying to figure out the Win98 issue myself), I noticed that Linux came up with the following error msg:  [device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)]

Not knowing a thing about Linux, or what this might mean, I turned to Google.  Found the following topic in your forum (http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1393.msg48122#msg48122).  I followed roseway's instructions in Reply #4 to reconfigure sound, but still no go.  Going to try restarting, but wanted to put all this together before it got away from me.  :)

Any idea why I might have lost sound?  I hadn't done anything (that I know of...) to cause this. 

Thanks in advance!

tb01

• Just arrived
Re: Reclaiming my hardware w/Linux - lost sound & don't know why...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:48:22 AM »

The restart worked and I got my sound back -- very happy indeed!  Still not sure how it broke, but I'm on a learning curve here. 

Next I should probably address the error msg which appears just prior to the GRUB menu... something about OS load failure (?), I think.  Says to remove all disks and press Enter to restart, but when I press enter, it successfully loads the GRUB boot menu.  At least I know how that broke - I tried to boot 'Windows3' thinking that might be my Win98 partition.  Like I said, I'm on a learning curve.

I'm sure I should read through those tutorials before I go mucking with anything else. 

Once the sound was back, I watched a DVD in Linux - sweet!  I really like that Kaffeine player!  Though I have to say, that glass-break notification sound is pretty startling, especially amped up to 150 Watts/channel!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:36:44 AM »

Hi tb01 and welcome.

Yes, that glass breaking sound makes you jump, doesn't it? :) Things like that are all configurable of course, in the KDE Control Centre.

The boot error message may just be something to do with how your BIOS is set up - perhaps the boot order needs to be changed.

In general I would recommend that you join the PCLinuxOS forum. Of course I will do all I can to help with any questions you have, but there are many more experienced PCLOS people on their forum. Keep at it, and good luck. :)
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »

In general I would recommend that you join the PCLinuxOS forum.

I tried a couple of times to join the forum and I never heard back, so I gave up on it.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:56:31 AM »

That happened to me when I first tried to join. When I investigated I found that the confirmation emails were being sent out correctly from the forum but they weren't arriving at my ISP's mail server. My ISP (Zen) investigated, but could only say that the emails were being blocked somewhere along the route. I solved the problem by registering with a GMail address, and I believe that this advice became a sticky on the forum.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 10:06:18 AM »

I tried to register with both my Tiscali addy and my Hotmail one, both to no avail. :(
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

tb01

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:30:33 PM »

Yes, that glass breaking sound makes you jump, doesn't it? :)

I have a person-sized hole in the ceiling to prove it!  :lol: I ~did~ adjust the volume on my external amp, but it is still a bit jarring - makes the cat jump, too!

The boot error message may just be something to do with how your BIOS is set up - perhaps the boot order needs to be changed.

The error appears after BIOS finishes and at end of search for bootable drive - which progresses in proper order (CD, DVD, Floppy, HD1 via USB, HD0).  Next restart I hope to rememember to write down the exact text - which I'm sure could ~also~ be Googled.  Hey, that's what got me -here-!

Unfortunately, last I had a grip on x86 boot process, Carter was president and M$ had just released DOS 4.01.  Things were quite a bit simpler then...

In general I would recommend that you join the PCLinuxOS forum.

I had the same thought!  I just received auto-response msg saying I should receive an approval-disposition email soon, when I decided to check this board and found your msg.

Thanks for the helpful spirit and well wishes!  I'm SOOOooo very glad I'm finally getting around to 'making the switch' to a REAL operating system.  I'm sure it will have it's trying moments (learning curve), but I'm sure my efforts will result in successes instead of so much hair-pulling frustration of the last two decades!

BTW - I really like your animated GIF!  That rocks!!!

Another question - when I pull up help I get justified text vs left-aligned, and for some reason, there's no right margin.  Between the two, it's very hard  to read.  Do you know of a way to change the display formatting in the help window for PCLOS2K7?

Thanks again, in advance.

tb01

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 10:48:03 PM »

Hi roseway/Eric,

Couple more things...  I completed the 3rd tutorial (Software management).  You did a GREAT JOB with those!  Thank you for your effort in sharing your expertise!!!  I can't wait to get through all of them.

I stumbled my way through updating Firefox (easy - it alerted me and all I had to do was click 'OK').  However, after looking, I didn't find a (clear) way to obtain/apply security and update patches for PCLOS2K7. 

I always lock down my firewall in WinXP when I'm not actively using the system - is this necessary w/Linux?  Am I at risk leaving my system online w/Linux booted? 

Again, thanks in advance.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 11:04:58 PM »

Hiya tb01

Linux is inherently not as susceptible to hackers as Windows... due to the fact you (should!) run everything as a normal user account and su to root when you need to do something.

If you're not running a web / ftp / other kind of server on your Linux box (I don't know what the default install of PCLOS contains), then you should be safe. Even if you are running one of those, you are probably safe anyway!

Linux certainly doesn't need a firewall to protect itself, in fact customised and cut-down versions of linux are used for the core operating system of most home broadband routers and a lot of dedicated hardware firewalls too.
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 11:11:27 PM »

Another question - when I pull up help I get justified text vs left-aligned, and for some reason, there's no right margin.  Between the two, it's very hard  to read.  Do you know of a way to change the display formatting in the help window for PCLOS2K7?

Sorry, but I don't currently use PCLOS myself (I use Debian), and I don't see that problem in my KDE help window.

I stumbled my way through updating Firefox (easy - it alerted me and all I had to do was click 'OK').  However, after looking, I didn't find a (clear) way to obtain/apply security and update patches for PCLOS2K7.

I always lock down my firewall in WinXP when I'm not actively using the system - is this necessary w/Linux?  Am I at risk leaving my system online w/Linux booted?

PCLOS doesn't treat security updates separately from other updates, but they do have a good record for providing them in a timely fashion. If you update Synaptic regularly and install the updates which it offers you will get all the security updates. There's also a forum section in which announcements are made about security updates.

If you're behind a NAT router (particularly one with an SPI firewall) I don't think you have anything to fear from leaving your system booted. My main system stays up 24/7 and I don't even bother to log out as I don't share my house with anyone who will mess with the computer. I've been doing the same for several years, with not a hint of any intruders.

Thanks for your kind comments. :)
  Eric

tb01

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 11:34:18 PM »

Thanks for your reply, mr_chris.

I knew I was gonna love Linux!  I've known for years, actually - just never could get it to work for me in years past.  The Live CD distros are a great introduction (albeit slow) - major kudos to whomever had that idea!!!

The constant M$ hassles, hangups and harrassments pushed me just far enough...  Hell, keeping WinUpdate functioning -alone- can be a full time (and frustrating) job!  But PCLOS2K7 kicks butt!  It truly is 'radically simple'.  Finally, an OS that does what it claims!!!  I couldn't be happier.

I'm quite pleased to hear your comments about Linux safety.  I'm not running any servers (that I'm aware of) in Linux, but as you know, WinXP is rife w/servers operating unbeknownst to users!  I don't have proof of their motivations (though I have plenty of suspicions), but I'm convinced M$ does this intentionally, and will continue in kind.

I've long been aware Linux is used to operate and manage a majority of the internet, right down to home-use routers and WiFi devices - another key item in my interest to learn it.  In fact, my WiFi access point client runs a version of Linux I plan to someday hack - once I've learned enough about Linux to tackle such a project. 

It's just so encouraging to put my efforts into learning a system that won't lock me out of my computer, OS and data!  The thoought of being able to customize Linux to my particular wants, needs and desires is pure ecstasy!  A techie's dream...  Why did it take me so long? 

Regardless, I'm really glad to be here now.  I look forward to the day when I'm comfortable enough to help others make their transition!  One by one, I'm sure we'll all jump the gap.  I live for the day...

tb01

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 12:18:24 AM »

Sorry, but I don't currently use PCLOS myself (I use Debian), and I don't see that problem in my KDE help window.

Seems I'll have a list of questions once I get approved at PCLinuxOS forum...

If you update Synaptic regularly...

Another item for the list.  ;)

If you're behind a NAT router (particularly one with an SPI firewall)...

I'm using a D-Link DI-524 (f/w 3.02) at head-end of my WiFi link - not sure if it does SPI or not; might be a firmware-dependent function (not running latest f/w).  W/this router, I've had TONS of issues under WinXP - even updating 7 separate malware scanners (daily) -and- XP itself (weekly)!  For XP I run a s/w firewall which I believe does do SPI (Sunbelt/Kerio, paid ver). 

All those 'protection' systems eat so much CPU resources it's utterly ridiculous.  And -still- the little buggers manage to find a way in...  Hard to believe folks are willing to PAY (and keep paying) for such wretched software!

Thanks for your kind comments.

Hey man, thank YOU for your efforts - really!  If it weren't for people like you (and others), willing to share the knowledge, we'd all be relegated to sucking from Uncle Bill's teet forever - and paying for the 'privilege'!

Just out of curiosity, how -did- you get that animated gif?  Are they hard to create?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 07:26:06 AM »

Just out of curiosity, how -did- you get that animated gif?  Are they hard to create?

I've got no artistic skill at all, but I believe that they're quite easy to make with the right graphics software. I got this one from someone on another forum, and if you want to use it there's a copy on this forum - just click the 'more' link alongside the line of smileys.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 02:49:34 PM »

Hi tb01,
I find pclos great, It just does all what I ask of it.
All our family computers are now dual boot xp & pclos, you will find that you boot less and less into xp, I would get rid of your win 98 repartition on your hard drive and give more room to Linux !.
I have stopped xp going on the internet (see under 'networking' section on this forum), for I find I do not need to access the internet at all when in xp, (No more updating xp   Bill G  :P).

I had some issues when installing dual boot, but plos forum is very good and sorted me out.
If you are like me and like to 'fiddle' once you have you basic system installed  make 'Back-ups' and then you can reinstall all /parts of your os.
Also keep doing the 'synaptic' updates, you can set synaptic to keep all what you download [650mb] on your hard drive , because it deletes them when you close it, as default.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 05:19:08 AM »

heh - love your new signature mike.

A true convert eh? :linux:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2

anything