Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A Vulcan Bomber Just Flew Over My House .  (Read 12043 times)

captainkirk

Re: A Vulcan Bomber Just Flew Over My House .
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »

It came to the Mildenhall air show many years back - we sat in the garden (live next door to RAF Mildenhall) and the Vulcan came low right over the house.  It's something that you don't forget, it was wonderful to watch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »

We were having a walk at 'Rutland Water' in Rutland (near Oakham) the other day when a Spitfire flew just feet above our heads, It was this one with the French flag on it's tail.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33000234
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 11:42:39 PM »

We were having a walk at 'Rutland Water' in Rutland (near Oakham) the other day when a Spitfire flew just feet above our heads, It was this one with the French flag on it's tail.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33000234

Ah, so that is the one recovered from the sands of a French beach?  :-\  (Watches video.) Yes, it is.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 06:32:20 PM »

At least this is a vulcanite post, if not strictly on topic! Anyone remember vulcanite? Here only the name!

Our local paper published
this video that you may like to watch, but it's rather long 6 mins.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »

The Vulcan appears to be at Blackpool air show today. Hmmm....

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 11:54:06 AM »

I was debating whether to go or not..  but since its currently raining...  but majorly because that I have so many other things that I really need to do here,  Ive decided not to. :( 
The person I was meant to be going with, is still going and taking their camera ...  hoping that cloud doesnt interfere too much with getting some decent photos.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »

Well I can hear the airshow loud and clear even indoors. Going outside all I see is clouds, but it is beginning to clear and at least not raining now.  I should really go down to the prom to get the best view as they usually fly out over the sea... but Ive probably left it too late to find somewhere decent to park now.

Judging from the lineup - this is what Im currently hearing
TYPHOON                    1333    1343

---
ETA full schedule

AIRCRAFT    START DISPLAY    FINISH DISPLAY
TYPHOON                    1333    1343
HUEY                            1346    1354
EXTRA 260                   1356    1404
STRIKEMASTER            1406    1416
RV8tors                       1418    1430
VULCAN                       1433    1443
ROTORSPORT CALIDUS    1445    1453
PITTS SPECIAL            1455    1503
BBMF FIGHTERS            1505    1518
CHINOOK                    1520    1530
BREITLING WING WALKERS    1533    1548
BESTMANN                   1550     1555
RED ARROWS            1600      1620
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:47:30 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »

Pity you cannot go.

I would like to see the Vulcan up close, or at least closer than some grainy news report. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 04:37:05 PM »

Taking the opportunity of not actually having anything to do or appts booked today or oncall, to be catch up on site related stuff.  I about 200 unread emails (already filtered for junk) and there's a couple of things I need to do on the site (I'm not talking about the big stuff that I know I need to do).  Still sat here trying to read and catchup on forum posts and playing with something related to my own network. 

If I can clear up a chunk of the mail today I shall be happy...  whereas I know if I go out, when I get back I'll probably not feel like doing anything and then pour a glass of wine.. and then I definitely wont feel like doing anything productive.   The past few months have been really tough time-wise with everything thats going on, so anything unscheduled social is back of queue.   I'm tired and ratty anyhow so best staying home attempting to make a tiny inroad into things rather going out and thinking about what needs doing.  :)

-----

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »

Herne Bay (North Kent) airshow next Saturday (15/8/15).  We are promised the Vulcan, No 2 Daughter will come downto see it, if it don't show my life will not be worth living.  No 1 Daughter will be with the family in France, she is cross.

Lancaster is a no show due to an engine fire (I think)

Last year we were promised 2 Lancasters - too windy apparently  :-X
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 08:50:07 PM »

We went to Blackpool in the end... plenty of cloud, but no rain. And the cloud gradually increased in height, so didn't have too much effect.

That schedule wasn't quite right (even if it is on one of the proper airshow web-pages); the one on this page was the right one: http://www.visitblackpool.com/blackpool-airshow/

The first thing on, being extremely noisy, was indeed the Typhoon. The Vulcan didn't come over quite as noisy - perhaps because it was flown slightly further out, and perhaps because she's something of a venerable old lady now.

BAe Warton was one of the job offers I turned down, when I chose telecoms instead of defence work many moons ago. But I recall that the prototype Typhoon was being built in the hanger when we were being shown around. There's a project that makes the FTTC rollout look speedy!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 09:28:37 PM »

I'm glad the weather turned out better for those that did go.

Yep the Typoon was by far the loudest here.   Im not sure about the schedule but I was also hearing planes long after the display was officially finished.   I didnt go outside to check but they sounded like older type planes and a couple of helicopters - certainly not military type jets.
Ive seen a couple of friends videos and it looked like not as many people went this year, possibly because of the weather early on.

>> BAe Warton was one of the job offers I turned down

Funny enough I turned down a job offer there too in favour of something a bit more local.
I recall being shown all around the buildings etc back then BAE used to make practically a full day for the final interviews including lunch... it was more like a day out rather than interview.  I think they had Tornados at that time.  Its so long ago now I cant recall properly.  :/
-----

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »

Oh yes - the hanger was full of Tornado's being built at the time I was there, all in the odd yellow-green colour they start out with.

I obviously had the same sort of full-day interview, and I don't remember much other than being told it was the most expensive building to insure in Europe (I guess Tornado's didn't come cheap), and that I recall watching the news in the hotel the night before; that included Giotto passing Halley's comet. That probably dates it quite accurately!

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »

Had our own private air show Friday last week, we had been a 8 mile walk in the Peak district and on the way back 18.30 near Chatsworth House , Rowsley,  a very very low flying Hercules aircraft flew over us, then Saturday a Spitfire flew over our house going in the Direction of East Midlands Airport.
https://www.facebook.com/BBCRadioDerby/photos/a.156417511082397.33144.154405107950304/938278266229647/?type=1
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 08:10:22 PM »

Just thought some of you who do not get the Vulcan newsletter might be interested in the UK tour this weekend. The provisional routes subject to the usual caveats of weather and operational circumstances are shown  at https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zJoGZd3-Qg5U.k9_QAWQWnmes for the Northern Route on Saturday, and https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zJoGZd3-Qg5U.k3u8IUZTll6M for the Southern route.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything