Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: slow connections an drop outs  (Read 5801 times)

chris87

slow connections an drop outs
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:19:28 PM »

hey everyone

since karoo KC capped my internet roughly about a week ago my internet connection has got really unstable. Mainly at evenings although not really disconnecting but very slow at times, then it can just be fine very intermittent am not sure if it was the capping thats causing the problems but am very sure it all started since it was capped at 3meg

but the more confusing thing is , is that my SNR stats are fine and stable , and am actually now thinking of asking karoo to uncap my internet again because having slow connection commonly at evenings is very frushstrating but when un-capped i didnt notice it dropped out because it re-synced fast. Hope that made sense lol

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2880 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 59.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.8 db 19.0 db

also am using netgear router DG834GT which is good for holding down low SNR's
and i am on karoo 8meg broadband package 3 which that basically means am on a higher package (get more priority) at peak times

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: slow connections an drop outs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:49:53 PM »

Hi chris and welcome. :)

2880 is quite a good sync speed for a 59.5 dB line.

>> Mainly at evenings although not really disconnecting but very slow at times,

Is your router recording a lot of CRC/HEC errors in the stats? 
This is a common cause of slow speeds on long lines.   To simplify things a CRC error is when data packets have been lost and have to be re-requested.  It occurs when the dsl signal is weak and your router has to go "sorry didnt hear that.. can you send it again" - hence the slowness of data.

I dont see how capping the line will have affected this... by capping the line it just ensures that you dont in effect use the higher frequency bins which will be more prone to disconnects.
The only thing I can think of is that if you synced above say 3Mb and then your line dropped it would have re-negotiated a lower sync speed with sufficient margin to keep the line stable.
It could be that at 2880 once the evening comes, then your SNRM is dipping low enough to drop packets, but not low enough to cause a full disconnect.

You could perhaps try monitoring your routerstats during these periods to see if you SNRM has taken a bit of a dip and if the errors start increasing.  If so, then you could try a physical reconnect yourself to see if this helps. - It could well be that the cap of 3000 is just a fraction too high.

Of course all the usual stuff also applies to ensure that you have done everything you can to get the highest SNRM value.  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chris87

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 04:13:50 PM »

hey

thanks for advice

rang karoo up again and they seem to be baffled by my problems they have sent a report to the engineers they think it could be a external problem but i have my cap lifted and my line seems to be much more reliable for some very strange reason lol

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 01:33:53 AM »

>> but i have my cap lifted and my line seems to be much more reliable for some very strange reason lol

lol yes - does seem strange in theory.   Hope it stays that way for you :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

chris87

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 11:08:06 AM »

i think i may of found the problem

the ringwire connected to my master filter and my line is very old could this make a difference?

what wire should i remove is it orange?

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 11:36:35 AM »

Not sure is this is directly related to your problem; but ring wires certainly won't help it.

The colours can vary - all you need is make sure terminals 2 and 5 are connected.
The ring wire is terminal 3 and the others aren't required.

chris87

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:16:41 PM »

image shows some interesting results when its capped at 2.8meg

jus going to do un-capped graph soon :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:21:51 PM by chris87 »

chris87

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:29:07 PM »

uncapped ran at 3.5meg all night no problems at all even at peak times

basically my connection works better with low SNR's then higher SNR's

am so baffled :(:(

MikeS

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 10:52:18 PM »

On your uncapped graph it looked like your SN margin was about 6dB on your capped one closer to 9dB. That 3dB difference would account for the difference in sync speed.  Roughly +3dB equals -700 on sync speed.  How is your cap applied, do they simply increase your SN margin ?.   Mind you if they did that it wouldn't explain the large swings in SN margin on your capped graph.  Very odd. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 11:16:26 PM »

Yes, that's right. The violent swings in noise margin in the capped graph are hard to explain as a result of the capping. I think it's more likely that the noise variation is intermittent, and could affect either type of connection at some times. As the noise margin swings up as well as down, it looks like a line fault, a high resistance fault perhaps, and needs investigation.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 01:24:05 AM »

As an aside - the OP is on KC and I dont know if they use the same system as BTw.... but

A capped Maxdsl connection bypasses the DLM.

The speed is fixed and the line should sync at whatever speed the profile is set at.. with the resultant spare SNR accordingly recorded by the router.  In a similar way as to how the "old fixed speed products" used to work.
Once upon a time fixed speed products where limited on the line cards at the exchanges (hence why upgrades from say 512kb to 1Mb used to result in a small amount of downtime). 
Then a couple of years ago they changed things so that speed regrades could be controlled centrally and thats when speed regrade requests started happening at around midnight and only took a few seconds..... and could also be done more or less the next day/night rather than a week that it used to take.

I believe BT did a bit of tweaking on the maxdsl capped profiles towards the end of 2006 with regards to max capped rates, so its possible that max capped rates could now be very similar to the old fixed rate products.
It should be stressed that this is if the cap is on the bRAS and not any capping that has been "just applied" by the ISP.

However, like previously said though.. that doesnt explain the fluctuations in noise margin which is rather strange.
-----

chris87

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 06:32:06 PM »

think i have rectified the problem :D

removed the ring wire that was connected to my master filter and they were improvements

just before i removed it i was connected at 3.4meg with  a 6DB downstream

after it it synched at 3.8meg with a 6DB downstream so they must of been a improvement in my SNR

also i did a line graph at peak time and it was so much more stable as in near enough a fully straight line

so good so far fingers crossed :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 06:40:09 PM »

Yes, fingers crossed for you. Disconnecting the ring wire is often helpful.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 07:59:15 PM »

Yes, fingers crossed for you. Disconnecting the ring wire is often helpful.

Ditto

:thumbs:
-----

anything