Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Science Museum exhibition "Information Age"  (Read 1669 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Science Museum exhibition "Information Age"
« on: June 25, 2015, 07:32:40 PM »

I went to the Science Museum in London again recently; they currently have an exhibition called "The Information Age", which covers different networks that have changed the world - starting with telegraphs, then radio/television and through to the internet.  If you're visiting London anytime, it's worth a look (and is free).  There are plenty of lovely old items of telegraph and telephone history to be looked at!

There's a gallery of objects online as well, can be viewed here http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/online_science/explore_our_collections/objects?collection=SCM+-+Telecommunications

(gallery includes an example of a Britannia Soldered Wire Joint for B*Cat  :D  http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/online_science/explore_our_collections/objects/index/smxg-8006840)

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Science Museum exhibition "Information Age"
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »

Thank you for the link. It was interesting to see items that I recognised.

(gallery includes an example of a Britannia Soldered Wire Joint for B*Cat  :D  http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/online_science/explore_our_collections/objects/index/smxg-8006840)

That shows a very heavy-duty version of the joint and well illustrates the joint construction.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »

Are you saying that Openreach don't do it that way now? :o
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 01:45:12 AM »

When I first started on the railway we used that type of joint on the carriage wiring  :).

That one in the photo looks like it's got PVC tape on it we used the old black cloth tape type and painted the joints under the carriage with tar to water proof them and the cable was held with wooden cleats.

Then crimps came out, UN-insulated ones first ( I still have a tin full of them and only used one a few weeks a go to extend our cooker cable, crimped it and then soldered it and insulated it).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »

The telegraph was where it all began, if you haven't already read it get a copy of "The Victorian Internet".

Beginning with the Abbe Nollet's famous experiment of 1746, when he successfully demonstrated that electricity could pass from one end to the other of a chain of two hundred monks, Tom Standage tells the story of the spread of the telegraph and its transformation of the Victorian world. The telegraph was greeted by all the same concerns, hype, social panic and excitement that now surround the Internet, and Standage provides both a fascinating insight into the past and a context in which to think rather differently of today's concerns.

:)