Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT aims to shut down traditional phone network to help it battle US tech giants.  (Read 6768 times)

simoncraddock

• Reg Member

I doubt we'll see anything in the next decade.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

loonylion

• Reg Member

full fibre would mean EUs need battery backup in their homes in order to still have landline telephone service during a power outage.
Don't most people use a dect phone nowadays? If there is a power cut the phone wouldn't work anyway as the dect base station wouldn't have power?

Emergency service advice is everybody should have a basic corded phone available for use in emergencies while the power is out.

boost

• Reg Member

full fibre would mean EUs need battery backup in their homes in order to still have landline telephone service during a power outage.
Don't most people use a dect phone nowadays? If there is a power cut the phone wouldn't work anyway as the dect base station wouldn't have power?

Emergency service advice is everybody should have a basic corded phone available for use in emergencies while the power is out.

Where is that printed / advised? On every DECT box with a huge label, I hope? :)

WWWombat

• Kitizen

Where is that printed / advised? On every DECT box with a huge label, I hope? :)

How many actually pay attention to that advice?

WWWombat

• Kitizen

On the issue of access to emergency services (which is somewhat different to the USO regulations over keeping copper), there are some interesting discussions and statistics to be found here:
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/superfast-broadband/summary/battery_condoc.pdf

The document is primarily focussed on backup-battery for fibre services, including the case where voice service is carried over fibre with no copper alternative.

If ever the USO regulations change to remove a guaranteed copper exchange line, towards a guaranteed IP-service (over which voice can be carried), then the consequent considerations for access to emergency service will probably match the ones in that document.

One snippet:
In 2009/10, there were 31 million triple-9 calls, of which 12 million came from landlines, of which 7 million were actually put through to an emergency service, of which 2 million were ultimately deemed to be urgent.

The maths behind power outages combined with different backup batteries, comes out with:
a 1 hour battery backup ... means that for around 99.95% of the time,
an emergency call is possible (or, put another way, for just over 4 hours in a year a
customer would find themselves unable to make a call due to a power outage).

For a two hour battery backup, this increases to 99.98%, and for a 4 hour battery this
increases to 99.99% (which translates to around 1 hour in a year that customer
would typically be unable to make a call as a result of a power cut).

We also note, and discuss later, that many customers have mobile phones, which greatly increases
their capability of contacting the emergency services in the event of a power failure.

Logically, the availability percentages of an N-hour backup battery apply equally for the exchange, cabinet, or ONT in the home. Or even mobile cells.

loonylion

• Reg Member

How many actually pay attention to that advice?

probably not many, but its their loss if they get into a situation where they need it. Common sense isn't so common anymore.

We also note, and discuss later, that many customers have mobile phones, which greatly increases
their capability of contacting the emergency services in the event of a power failure.

It's quicker and far more accurate for the emergency services to trace a landline call, if necessary, than a mobile call.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

mobile phones are more suited in 2015 for emergencies.  Seems their advise is out of date stuck in the 1980s.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I wonder if BT buying in to the mobile phone network market as anything to do with this. They could move all their main home phone packages to their cell phone deals. It would actually cut down on a lot of money because there would be no maintenance for copper lines needed anymore. The only 'land lines' would be the fibre lines.

If the power went out, there would still likely be cell phone power.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

We have a DECT phone and no corded phone in the house, and yes I have seen the advice, but with 5 mobiles in the house do we really need to worry, I think not. I did used to have our DECT on my UPS, but it was moved in case it was causing problems with the broadband, and never moved back, so worse case and not ideal in an emergency I (but none of the rest of the family) could pretty quickly plug it into my UPS power strip and phone socket next to it. We could almost do away with the landline, we never use for outgoing calls, and very rarely get incoming calls on it.

What about all the people that don't have a land lines, how do they cope?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Dray

• Kitizen

Funny that, BT have an obligation to supply everyone with a landline.

renluop

• Kitizen

I wonder if BT buying in to the mobile phone network market as anything to do with this. They could move all their main home phone packages to their cell phone deals. It would actually cut down on a lot of money because there would be no maintenance for copper lines needed anymore. The only 'land lines' would be the fibre lines.

If the power went out, there would still likely be cell phone power.
  Funny, such were the thoughts of my IT Mahager son in law 10+ years back; phone= mobile, data = fixed. He's also said that quite a few things newish today were known about years ago, but were just not practical then.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Funny that, BT have an obligation to supply everyone with a landline.

Only if they want a phone line, I know somebody who doesn't have land line and BT is not knocking on her door insisting a line is installed   ;) Come to think of it I know of two others that don't have land lines either.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Jaggies

I have a vague memory of Tomorrow's World on BBC1 demonstrating fibre optic cable (note spelling - fibRE, not fibER, please!!!) sometime in the 1970s. Apparently BT wanted to replace its copper network with fibre, and some remnants of those early experiments remain, with TPON. However, this was before privatisation, but AFAIR Maggie T. put the boot in and refused the necessary funding, as this would have made the company less attractive to investors.

Note that the above is from my very fragile memory, and is to be taken with a handful of salt.  ::)

Still hate Thatcher, though...  ;D

Pages: 1 [2]

anything