Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT aims to shut down traditional phone network to help it battle US tech giants.  (Read 6802 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/11696314/BT-aims-to-shut-down-traditional-phone-network-to-help-it-battle-US-tech-giants.html

I think this could be a good thing, especially if OR also becomes a seperate group too.

Maybe its also an indication of intent on BT to maybe start work on eventually removing all copper lines and going full fibre in the future, through its steps of g.fast from the node, then eventually offering an option to replace the copper from the node to your home for a price. Then it wouldnt be a big step to move the phone network on to fibre too. That's just my spin on the article though :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

loonylion

• Reg Member

full fibre would mean EUs need battery backup in their homes in order to still have landline telephone service during a power outage.

Mark07

• Reg Member

Would there not be battery backups on the DPs?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

so even BT admit the landline for voice services is starting to become obselete.

Now just need ofcom to recognise that.

loonylion

• Reg Member

Would there not be battery backups on the DPs?

possibly but you cant send power down fibre. There'd have to either be copper to carry power or a redundant power source with the EU premises to power the phone.

renluop

• Kitizen

This
BT is now urging the regulator to lift the obligation, a move that it says will have no impact on the majority of customers who are already using internet phone

Is that true? I had to read it more than once.

loonylion

• Reg Member

I don't know anyone that's routinely using voip, and only one business that is.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Make that two people you know. The line I use for work is VoIP.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

renluop

• Kitizen

So, is Mr Beattie being economical with the actualite?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

We're looking at moving over VOIP at work.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I remember quite a few years ago, maybe 5 or 10, that the phone network here was moving over to a digital network. Not sure if they are classing that as a VOIP service. Just my 2 pennies worth.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

simoncraddock

• Reg Member

Make that two people you know. The line I use for work is VoIP.

I use VOIP on my Fritzbox at home as a incoming line only for friends and family only
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

boost

• Reg Member

Confused tbh.

BTOR posts record profits, likely related their chargeable diagnostic and repair activities on copper access products.
Are they bored of making easy cash?
Or is the end of the cash cow nigh, with every corner now sporting an FTTC cab/the looming silhouette of Sharon White? :)

Even if ofcom agree and BT pass the cost saving onto the EU and we all marvel at the 16 quid monthly reduction (as if) how are my aged, technology naive, grandparents going to make an anxiety fuelled phone call to the Fire Brigade when they wake up and smell smoke in the middle of the night and find the electricity is off? Let's say the fire started downstairs and has already melted the NTU/BBU. Training/coaching/education often goes out the window in life/death situations.

This is what props up the monopoly and as it stands, rightly so.

Copper access is going nowhere and I don't believe for a second that BT want it any other way unless they've found someone to pay for a UK wide FTTP rollout?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

boost yeah its a cash cow, but remember they started a 3 year program employing new engineers at ofcom's request.  Also all the calls to seperate openreach dont stop coming.

They would never drop the line rental, it would be integrated into fiber rental :)

But obviously the profits from callouts for faults would be a loss.

ktz392837

• Reg Member

full fibre would mean EUs need battery backup in their homes in order to still have landline telephone service during a power outage.
Don't most people use a dect phone nowadays? If there is a power cut the phone wouldn't work anyway as the dect base station wouldn't have power?
Pages: [1] 2

anything