Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: MyDSLWebStats - DLM Monitor  (Read 15415 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
MyDSLWebStats - DLM Monitor
« on: June 22, 2015, 08:32:24 AM »

NEW! AUTOMATIC DLM CALCULATOR

Many of you will have seen or noticed discussions about the Kitz DLM Calculator where you put in your ES and Retrain counts and it tells you how good or lousy your line is from the DLM's perspective. The data is used by the BT DLM system to categorise your line...

Since that data is already available to MDWS for all users, it seemed to make sense to try and automate it.
So, after a period of testing and developing in conjunction with Kitz, it's now available, at least in its initial state  :cool:

To learn more about what you are seeing, you need to visit this page:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm#DLM_categorising_the_line

We have gone for a simple easy to digest visual display using a Traffic Light/LED display system covering a rolling 24 Hour period. This sits at the top left of every pane in MDWS as per the example below - except for users NOT in the UK time zone (and that includes several still running upload data in in GMT rather than BST). Hovering over either of the two traffic lights (there are 27 combinations of colours in our traffic lights!) will display more info about the line state.

Most people will see a set of green lights indicating all is well.

Edit:
Since first posted, there is now another set of Traffic Lights! These are in the center of the group and are for MTBE UPSTREAM error seconds. The original at left now reads DOWNSTREAM. Criteria are the same for both directions.

The left set is the Error Rate display (MTBE - Mean Time Between Errors [Errored Seconds])
The right set is the Retrain Count display (MTBR - Mean Time Between Retrains [Resync Count])

There are three Profiles listed, a set for WBC (ADSL) and another for  VDSL. Only one is ever active though, the hover help tells you which is normally chosen by an ISP. If it's possible, we'll also tell you on the last line which profile you are on currently, depending on what info is available and whether the profile used by your ISP is known.

The ES data used for the light displays is updated once an hour, although Resyncs affect the display in real time as that panel is updated once a minute anyway.

I suppose that basically, if you've got all Green lights then you have nothing much to worry about.

But if you have lots of Amber and Red lights then there are some problems depending on which lights are is set  but that is a separate discussion.

Here are some more examples:

This is the Retrain display for the line above

This is an ADLS2+ line with a few colours. As the profile used by most ISPs is Standard (the top light) then the line has errors and has sufficient errors to make it far less suitable for the other two profiles. There are no Retrains though in the past 24 hours.

I'm sure that if anyone has questions, those with more knowledge than I of the intricacies will answer them  ;)

Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

ip75

Re: MyDSLWebStats - DLM Monitor
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 11:13:48 AM »

NEW! AUTOMATIC DLM CALCULATOR

This is a great feature. Any chance of showing traffic lights for upstream as well? That would be of particular interest to people who have had G.INP disabled on the upstream.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 11:38:22 AM »

Cheers tony i was wondering what those traffic were for  ;D

Here is my status 1 amber what does it meen ?

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »

@newt
Not a lot, you are almost certainly on the top profile so that bottom one is just saying that there might be a problem meeting the stable profile it represents. Possibly. Maybe. I really don't know, I just wrote the code, you'll have to wait for the expert to come along  ;)

Maybe we need an new dedicated thread that attempts to answer questions such as these related to the DLM Monitor rather than within this support thread for MDWS itself?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:47:57 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »

@ NS

afaik there arent any ISPs using the FTTC Stable profile, so you can ignore that one.  If you hover over the traffic lights, then it should give a brief explanation.   

If you are on an ISP with a known profile it will tell you - eg see the screen cap for mine its detected Im with Plusnet so therefore Speed.    We dont know which one EE uses so cant say.   If you can manage to get this info from your ISP then Im sure Tony would be more than happy to add it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:18:49 PM »

@IP75

Upstream is monitored for ErrSEcs by the DLM.   It is monitored separately and independently from downstream, but has the same MTBE triggers.  Its basically similar to Red, but ILQ calls it Crimson so indicate that its upstream rather than downstream which has caused the issue. - See ILQ status

Both up and down have same process, if the upstream E/S exceeds the limit, then it will apply Interleaving/INP/G.INP

Maybe we need an new dedicated thread that attempts to answer questions such as these related to the DLM Monitor rather than within this support thread for MDWS itself?

Will do - I'll split the relevant posts off. :)  Done
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:22:01 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 05:05:47 PM »

@ NS
We dont know which one EE uses so cant say.   If you can manage to get this info from your ISP then Im sure Tony would be more than happy to add it.

Should i ring them up and what should i ask them ?

Sorry mu ISP can only see the line speed and thats all  :-[
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 06:06:47 PM by NewtronStar »

ip75

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 05:31:44 PM »

Both up and down have same process, if the upstream E/S exceeds the limit, then it will apply Interleaving/INP/G.INP

OK, thanks. So it would make sense to have a MTBE traffic light for upstream? And obviously only one retrain traffic light since that will be the same for upstream and downstream.

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 07:22:58 PM »

Wow what a great addition – quick and easy to read, and upstream added already.  Many thanks

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »

OK, thanks. So it would make sense to have a MTBE traffic light for upstream? And obviously only one retrain traffic light since that will be the same for upstream and downstream.

It's now there as the second set of lights but haven't had a chance to check it out thoroughly yet. I can see some U/S ES on BE1s line in there on the MTBE UPSTREAM so it's probably okay.
Tony
My Books!

ip75

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 07:54:49 PM »

Brilliant, thanks! Looks to be working - my line is showing yellow upstream on stable.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 10:04:35 PM »

Well all my 3 X 3 traffic lights have turned green since 11:30am and i am not going to pretend that i understand the full workings into MTBR but they don't concern me unless there is an ongoing line fault and have fair idea into MTBE as this part relates to your errored seconds over 24 hours.

All i need to know is the errored second limit of all three profiles Down & UP

Speed 0/0
Standard 0/0
Stable 0/0
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:12:28 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 10:05:37 PM »

As long as the top 2 for you stay green or amber, then you're fine :)
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 10:10:02 PM »

interesting so I checked my lights which as expected all are green.

However what caught my attention is the MTBE on my US which is 86400 (full day).

I then did a local stat run on modem stats, and my US has indeed settled down on the ES front, but there is one single ES logged during today which MDWS doesnt seem to have picked up, or will one single error still give a 86400 MTBE?

Also either my line has had a big improvement during today or is an error, check the slowdown on my total ES for the 22nd june.

Sadly the slowdown of DS ES is not correlated with local modem stats :(

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:16:02 PM by Chrysalis »

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 10:45:29 PM »

Tony

Something is up with error second plotting >2 days

See attached png.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything