Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC DLM - Change of MTBR  (Read 8689 times)

Mark07

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC DLM - Change of MTBR
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 11:24:14 AM »

Thanks for the explanation  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »

Sorry if the above reply was a bit blase.   I'm not exactly quite sure what happened, but we knew what the limits were.  These were posted in a couple of places including the Zen training doc.    Then sometime around the ASSIA case last year, it became extremely difficult to find out anymore information and since then we dont know if anything has changed.   We know for a fact that they they did some twiddling of DLM around that time but what it was afaik hasnt ever been disclosed what they did.   

From what AndyH has posted, I can only assume - and its the only logical reason I can think of  - that sometime between then and G.INP they reduced the MBTR and now we know theyve put it back again and using practically the same figures,  because it appears to have been too low and catching too many people.   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 06:47:14 PM »

In response to the remarks on another forum about 'cockroaches' and click through. 

The site cannot use any form of shared/cloud hosting.  No host will touch me for any service other than dedicated.  Its my choice to use UK hosting as I dont want crappy overseas hosting and I need decent 24/7 support.  Check out how much that costs.

I'm well aware I could do more on the ad side but I deliberately try and keep any ads to a minimum.  I dont use tower scraper ads which are the most profitable and most tech users use ABP anyhow.  This site is non-profit making and there has been many a time when I've funded from own pocket, and times when Ive had to borrow from a friend to cover hosting costs. Another personal  friend who has nothing to do with the site always donates to hosting costs   

I'm thinking deleting the 'shop' as only once has it generated any income.  There's a clear record on the site of donations and in response to 'click through' those defamatory words are treated with the contempt it deserves.

You try balance the books with this income - Ad generation income for the past 7 days.  I think that makes it a long way off being a click through for profit site. It doesnt even begin to cover hosting. :(

---
ETA

Im removing image as this post was originally made before I'd twigged what the cockroach reference was all about.  Don't see why I should have to justify for something that I hadn't said or post site stats.    Enough people have viewed it already anyhow to verify that that aim of this site isnt for profit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:46:29 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 06:51:34 PM »

[Further info added ] 

I just noticed that webif's post has been changed and everything has now become clearer.  TBH from his first posting I thought it was him making a reference to someone on this forum. 

I 100% didn't even have the slightest clue from his first post what the reference to cockroaches was on about.  I viewed via mobile last night and hadn't s even seen the post by someone else. I'd responded straight to Mark & then my response came up on was on top of another page so I'd totally missed that post and why it never twigged what webif or anyone else's reference to cockroaches meant.   Even at the time of making my post above I still didn't know what he was on about.

Said post has now been removed. (which now takes my post last night to the bottom of the page in position of the deleted one).   It was NOT anything that I had said like the quote may give the impression of.  It should be clear from my first reply to Mark that I was hurrying last night and I didnt have time to explain further until today which is precisely why I'd used the reference blase - because I knew my reply to him last night was in haste.   

That post has not been removed now because of any threats -  I genuinely had not seen it until it was brought to my attention a few moments ago.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 07:50:37 PM »

kitz I have no idea what you on about.

if others elsewhere are trying to slander your site dont stress too much over it, none of us will leave because of it.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 09:33:26 AM »

I'm not sure what's been said but this is and hopefully will always be my first port of call for help/advice/news. I used to run forums myself Newnetter/Metronetter and appreciate how much it costs first-hand when it's coming out of your own pocket. If I could afford to donate (current employment status restricts) I would gladly.

Your doing a great job so don't let some moron tell you otherwise Kitz.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »

Also not really sure what's happened, but as above kitz you're doing a great job, keep it up we all appreciate it!  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 12:16:28 AM »

>>> Also not really sure what's happened

Someone calling this site a click through.   By displaying the most minimal ads I can,  hardly makes it that - TBB shows way more ads and much larger ads than I do.   Is he going to make the same accusation against them too. 

and also the suggestion "desperately want to be part of a circle" is laughable.   
Im not even sure what circle that is supposed to be, because its only certain people within ISPs and one other that appears to have access to the ISPforum.   :-X
My info comes from elsewhere within BT and other places such as SINET.  I have my own contacts in BTw but just dont pester them or abuse that privilege and I know for a fact that the site is well respected within BT.  In fact I recently had a long personal one-to-one with someone very high up in Openreach who should know what is going on and far more aware of matters such as g.inp than the ISPForum.  I may not have anything in writing, but we weren't wrong.

Just because my info doesn't come from the ISPForum or certain others dont get the same info as me, isnt my fault.   BT don't release all info to ISPs and other depts perhaps dont get some info that the ISP does.   It most does not give certain people on another forum the right to talk down to me and diss any info that comes from here.

OK so Im not part of this mythical circle, but I'm happy with the way things are, knowing that BT are well aware of what we do and respected enough to take note if there is a serious issue.  By being outside of the circle means that I dont have to say black is white when I can clearly see that perhaps something is grey.   I will respect things told in confidence and if there's things they don't want disclosing for obvious reasons, but OTOH I will also continue to dig for information so that EU's can continue to 'self help' which is the whole aim of the site. 

Time is often a limitation with me, because I cant sit here 24/7 posting,  still do admin, site upgrades, tutorials and a million other things.   
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 12:48:55 AM »

its the boys club, BT have the weirdest NDA setup ever if what ignition said is true, apparently bog standard things that should be reported to end users are all NDA O_o  Also why hasnt revk been cutoff for I guess breaching the NDA everytime he gets annoyed with BT.

It seems more likely that those working for these isp's seem to enjoy witholding the information and do it for that reason instead.

Whats commercially sensitive about telling end users if a problem will be fixed or not.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 01:31:55 AM »

@ npr if you're reading - which I think you do.  I've been tied up mad busy the past few days and hence not going over to t'other place to respond.    I went tonight to see what was happening with the speeds and just read today's events.   Unfortunately both threads are now locked so I cant respond.. but you may be interested in this because you asked.

Quote from: AndyH
BT Retail users are on their own BT Wholesale/21CN core network (WBC). I can't recall users on their forums reporting issues like this and at the same time, the Plusnet/BT Retail networks can't be compared as they really are separate.

Plusnet use a network shared with other service providers that use BT Wholesale and the same service (WBMC Shared).

The issue with the variable throughput that has been noted on here and can be solved (albeit sometimes temporarily) by gateway hopping, appears to be exclusive to Plusnet. Given the size of Plusnet and the number of customers they have, I imagine parts of the WBMC Shared network have been specifically designed and built solely for Plusnet. There are also the host links (these connect Plusnet's network to that of the BT Wholesale WBMC shared network) which Plusnet buy for their own use from BT Wholesale.

Quote from: npr
So you're saying BT broadband uses a different backhaul to the one BTW provide for Plusnets.  Shocked Shocked
I was hoping I could avoid moving to BT internet or sky, is there any other choices which escapes this issue?

BTr most certainly does not use WBC - it uses WBMC. 

I'm also pretty certain that other ISPs would be extremely unhappy if there was any inkling of the WBMC network being designed for or built for Plusnet. :o   Cue OFCOM and unfair advantage.   This is aside from the fact that the way shared WBMC is built then all ISPs using that platform have equivalence.   BTw do have to plan though for capacity on their MSILs and I suppose there could be an issue if there is a sudden surge of Plusnet customers say migrating from ISPs which arent shared WMBC.   I mentioned months ago that if PN were insisting that it wasnt their host links, then by process of elimination it was most likely the shared MSILs.

If you are wanting to stay away from the BT core, then your alternatives are WBC providers such as Enta/Daisy resellers who I believe use Murphx for their core routing.   Theres also AAISP who offer some accounts using TTB routing.

----

WBC is when the ISP offloads at the Interconnects and their EU traffic never enters the BTw core network previously known as Colossus.    WBC the 21CN equivalent of the old DataStream.

Dedicated WBMC is when the ISP is responsible for purchasing its own bandwidth at the MSILs but still use the BT wholesale core network for backbone transit. The fact that you can see the core nodes on a BTr tracert is proof that they use WBMC.
afaik BTr is the only ISP that uses dedicated WBMC.   I cant think of any who were big enough to make it economical - Plusnet maybe but they are already too heavily invested in their host links and Junipers to ditch shared WBMC.   Perhaps in future if they do a complete overhaul of the network and ditch the current invested equipment running into £millions.  Dedicated WBMC was introduced to replace the old 'RIN' network.  The whole idea of WBMC was to ensure equivalence, yet allow some flexibility.

Shared WBMC is when the ISP leaves the control of MSILs bandwidth up to BTwholesale.   Its precisely that - shared so if there were issues then it should affect all customers equally. The design of WBMC means that the routing is from the particular exchange so it doesnt make any difference which ISP uses it.  Shared WBMC is the 21CN equivalent of IPStream.   Things only get different depending on where the ISP chooses to have their host link(s).   I saw a video not very long ago presented by RevK saying that there were issues in the BTw network causing congestion.  Its a recent video - ie weeks not months ago.
-----

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 12:00:03 PM »

Thanks for the guidance kitz.
My contract with PN has another 6 months so I've lots of time to gather this info and try to understand it and the implications before I need make the decision of where to go next.

The main reason I'm looking for a new provider is not the current issue, it's the way they handled my support ticket. I used to have a great deal of regard for PN's support but I'm afraid the way they've handled this ticket has destroyed that regard.

The reason I was trying to avoid BT internet is that I once used them in the dark days of dialup -- need I say more ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 12:52:22 AM »

Unfortunately the lack of input from the reps hasn't been ideal and helped diffuse the situation. :(

I've been on a few mammoth gate hopping sessions in the past and it is weird how sometimes it can take so long to find a decent speed again, then you can end up on the same gateway and all is well again.  Because we can't tell which endpoint then it's hard to identify if it's those or the MSILs.  Because of the length of time it's been going on and the fact that once I do get on a decent pipe and it's stays like like for ages, I am more suspicious now that it may not be the end points but something to do with my routing between RAS and the pn endpoint.

The video of revK, he actually said something like See there is conjestion even if BT can't see it.

ps - yes also been there with BT.  I was served final notice of excessive online time.  Luckily it was about 3 weeks before the exchange went live for adsl.   I was doing my dissertation at the time and also one of the BB4campaigners so really struggling to keep the hours to their limit :(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:58:36 AM by kitz »
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 12:58:35 AM »

@ npr if you're reading - which I think you do.  I've been tied up mad busy the past few days and hence not going over to t'other place to respond.    I went tonight to see what was happening with the speeds and just read today's events.   Unfortunately both threads are now locked so I cant respond.. but you may be interested in this because you asked.

Quote from: AndyH
BT Retail users are on their own BT Wholesale/21CN core network (WBC). I can't recall users on their forums reporting issues like this and at the same time, the Plusnet/BT Retail networks can't be compared as they really are separate.

Plusnet use a network shared with other service providers that use BT Wholesale and the same service (WBMC Shared).

The issue with the variable throughput that has been noted on here and can be solved (albeit sometimes temporarily) by gateway hopping, appears to be exclusive to Plusnet. Given the size of Plusnet and the number of customers they have, I imagine parts of the WBMC Shared network have been specifically designed and built solely for Plusnet. There are also the host links (these connect Plusnet's network to that of the BT Wholesale WBMC shared network) which Plusnet buy for their own use from BT Wholesale.

Quote from: npr
So you're saying BT broadband uses a different backhaul to the one BTW provide for Plusnets.  Shocked Shocked
I was hoping I could avoid moving to BT internet or sky, is there any other choices which escapes this issue?

BTr most certainly does not use WBC - it uses WBMC. 

I'm also pretty certain that other ISPs would be extremely unhappy if there was any inkling of the WBMC network being designed for or built for Plusnet. :o   Cue OFCOM and unfair advantage.   This is aside from the fact that the way shared WBMC is built then all ISPs using that platform have equivalence.   BTw do have to plan though for capacity on their MSILs and I suppose there could be an issue if there is a sudden surge of Plusnet customers say migrating from ISPs which arent shared WMBC.   I mentioned months ago that if PN were insisting that it wasnt their host links, then by process of elimination it was most likely the shared MSILs.

If you are wanting to stay away from the BT core, then your alternatives are WBC providers such as Enta/Daisy resellers who I believe use Murphx for their core routing.   Theres also AAISP who offer some accounts using TTB routing.

----

WBC is when the ISP offloads at the Interconnects and their EU traffic never enters the BTw core network previously known as Colossus.    WBC the 21CN equivalent of the old DataStream.

Dedicated WBMC is when the ISP is responsible for purchasing its own bandwidth at the MSILs but still use the BT wholesale core network for backbone transit. The fact that you can see the core nodes on a BTr tracert is proof that they use WBMC.
afaik BTr is the only ISP that uses dedicated WBMC.   I cant think of any who were big enough to make it economical - Plusnet maybe but they are already too heavily invested in their host links and Junipers to ditch shared WBMC.   Perhaps in future if they do a complete overhaul of the network and ditch the current invested equipment running into £millions.  Dedicated WBMC was introduced to replace the old 'RIN' network.  The whole idea of WBMC was to ensure equivalence, yet allow some flexibility.

Shared WBMC is when the ISP leaves the control of MSILs bandwidth up to BTwholesale.   Its precisely that - shared so if there were issues then it should affect all customers equally. The design of WBMC means that the routing is from the particular exchange so it doesnt make any difference which ISP uses it.  Shared WBMC is the 21CN equivalent of IPStream.   Things only get different depending on where the ISP chooses to have their host link(s).   I saw a video not very long ago presented by RevK saying that there were issues in the BTw network causing congestion.  Its a recent video - ie weeks not months ago.

kitz I just had a thought

Think how the government outsources tasks which makes requests under the freedom of information act get rejected due to commercial sensitivity.

It could well be that BT built the WBC network just for plusnet, and as a bonus it complies with what ofcom ask for in terms of wholesaling, BT retail use a different network for its own customers.  But because this WBC network is not operated by plusnet, it allows plusnet to say to their customers we are powerless and we cannot do anything, simply because BTw is a different company on paper and claiming commercial confidentially.  Very convenient for them.

Meanwhile the BT group cost cutting continues as plusnet have now scrapped 24/7 uk support and are arrogant enough to not even bothering informing customers thinking they will get away with it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 01:16:16 AM »

I'm not at the PC so this will be short as takes me too long to type. 

Plusnet don't use WBC, they transport via the core so it has to be WBMC.  I'm not quite sure what you mean about build a different network. 

It's all meshed and you could end up getting different pipes within the core so to speak.  There is the possibility and more flexibility with dedicated WBMC but with shared, I don't see the point of separate network, yes they could prioritise certain ISPs if you wanted to get into the realms of conspiracy, but if something like that ever came to light it would be massive and I don't think they'd risk it.  The whole design of 21CN was supposedly for equivalence, and that so no SP could be favoured over any other. 

Re pn support - I've been out all day and didn't see that.  This is bad and topic for another thread :(
-----
Pages: 1 [2]