Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Interference  (Read 2550 times)

AlanDogg1

• Just arrived
Interference
« on: June 20, 2015, 08:54:38 AM »

Hi All,
I have had talktalk biz broadband installed in our new premises around 5 weeks ago (8mb max we can receive). I have found the connection, mostly on wifi, eventually comes up with page time outs etc via the browser (using firefox) on iMac, PC, iPad, mobile phones etc. We also share a little wifi with a biz upstairs (3 computers) and everyone is experiencing lockups. I have changed the router from the basic talktalk one and connected a netgear DG834Gv5 router and it seems better but still having the same issues. I have changed channel settings on the router and it improves in some areas but other computers can't connect. It is currently on channel 7. The building is 4 portacabins (2 side by side and 1 stacked on top of each). They are then enclosed with corrugated metal sheeting as you see with many factories etc. I suspect this is a big contribution to my issues. I contacted Talktalk and spoke to an engineer who said there were several line errors between 7.30am and 5.00pm. We get into the building at 8.30am and the biz above gets in around 7.00am. We work weekends and they don't, but there are still errors at the weekend but very little. The engineer suggested that a power supply or something similar may be causing the issue. I have looked at the premises upstairs and disconnected appliances like water heater etc but still the issues are there. I have also added a repeater to see if it would solve issues but still have them. All signal strengths are strong regardless. I was contemplating buying a dual band router to use 5ghz band to see if it sorts the issue.

any ideas folks?
Thanks in advance.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Interference
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 09:34:58 AM »

When you say “page timeouts” and “lockups”, what exactly do you mean?

Specifically, (1) what happens when you hit refresh in the web browser?

(2) Do you get a problem with trying to open web pages belonging to sites that you have already visited earlier (in the day), or only with sites that you are visiting for the first time within a recent period?

[I’m wondering about DNS problems.]

(3) Can you get some help selecting an alternate DNS server, say 8.8.8.8 (google) for testing?

(4) Can you rule out wifi, by testing using a machine connected to the router with a network cable?

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 09:35:28 AM »

What a horrible location for WiFi !

I suspect you have multipath interference when you don't have co-channel. I take it each organisation has it's own WiFi, not a single time shared system.

Suggest you need a several copies of one of those free channel occupancy monitoring programs to see what is happening. Be aware that the "Channels" overlap so a one channel step isn't likely to do much.

Probably 5GHz wifi would be worse for multipath even if no one else uses those channels.

AlanDogg1

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »

I suspect you have multipath interference when you don't have co-channel. I take it each organisation has it's own WiFi, not a single time shared system.

Suggest you need a several copies of one of those free channel occupancy monitoring programs to see what is happening. Be aware that the "Channels" overlap so a one channel step isn't likely to do much.

Probably 5GHz wifi would be worse for multipath even if no one else uses those channels.

Hi Weaver,

If i hit refresh ALL browsers say "Page cannot be displayed" regardless of it being a page I have visited before or being a new page. I have also had the same issues being connected via a network cable also but not as much. I will try a Dns and report back. I also have lan connected ip cameras running via noip but they seem fine.

AlanDogg1

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 11:00:11 AM »

SORRY FOLKS REPLY AND QUOTE GOT MIXED UP THERE (SHAME ON ME)

Hi Weaver,

If i hit refresh ALL browsers say "Page cannot be displayed" regardless of it being a page I have visited before or being a new page. I have also had the same issues being connected via a network cable also but not as much. I will try a Dns and report back. I also have lan connected ip cameras running via noip but they seem fine.

Hi JGO, I have only 1 wifi band available to setup in our office downstairs via the netgear router and have placed a wifi repeater on the otherside downstairs my workshop which is repeating from the netgear no ethernet being used. This is being broadcast for both sides upstairs. My internet connection in the workshop is via a hub.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:02:34 AM by AlanDogg1 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »

FYI -

[best done once, at the router, rather than again and again on each box..]

“Configure your network settings to use Google Public DNS”

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

AlanDogg1

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »

FYI -

[best done once, at the router, rather than again and again on each box..]

“Configure your network settings to use Google Public DNS”

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

So connect all to the main router for wifi instead of repeater? My issue with that is the wifi signal is weaker on the other side of the buidling. So would it be best I connect the reapter as an access point via the hub on my side?

many thanks

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 06:21:50 PM »

What I would do .
From your DG834Gv5 router , from the back of the of the router run an Ethernet LAN cable to each cabin unit and connect it to a 'WiFi router' set up to use as an 'Access Point' (look on internet how to do that ) in each unit, set up the same SSID but different channels , say 1, 5, 8,  13 .

If you move about unit to unit your device should log on to the strongest signal.

You should get a good WiFi signal in each unit.

This is what I do around my house and garden and we get a good signal, I have four set up like this.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 07:14:26 PM »

If it is a wifi issue tickmike's suggestion is good.  You do however say that the issue is "mostly on wifi".  If you get the same issue on a direct ethernet connection to the modem/router then it may be the line itself and that may need fixing. TTB usually only worry over issues on wired connection and just tend to offer advice re wireless as that is not usually seen as their problem.  It would be worth checking whether or not it does occur on direct ethernet connection.