Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Err a bit late but - II as user Debug said  (Read 4023 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Err a bit late but - II as user Debug said
« on: July 14, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »

After six years I've finally got around to saying hello.

I'm a retired asm and C programmer. My name is Cecil Ward and I live in Skye, a huge Island off the West Coast of Scotland. I've been here since 1998, before that I lived and worked in London for sixteen years. Before that I was at University in York and before that I lived on my Mum and Dad's beautiful farm in Staffordshire, not far from the edge of the Peak District, can see Alton Towers several miles away with binoculars in fact. Why did I write that backwards, who knows?

I did Theoretical Physics, got a very bad degree as I never ever did any work and never went to any lectures much. I was playing games all the time and fiddling about with early microprocessors and software. I got a job as a games programmer writing Z80 code for Games that were sold for Sinclair Spectrum machines. I then worked a little bit on the world's first (crap) handheld, afaik, the Psion Organiser I. I worked on a couple of other new machines in r+d.

In the 1990s, I got badly bitten by the foreign language learning bug. Worked as internationalisation guy for a year or so, which I loved. Lost that job, hated London anyway.

So I left and went to study Scottish Gaelic language at smo.uhi.ac.uk, full time, immersion, no English speaking allowed. Ulp. Absolutely hated parts of ithe shambolic course, but was hooked.

Then went to work for myself as a consultant, didn't earn much money. Illness forced me to retire around 2011 and I've been semi bed-bound ever since (CFS/ME same thing, and chronic pain plus loads of strong drugs). My brain is v fuzzy so allowances pls. So that was me at fast forward speed. And typing is shocking.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Err a bit late but - II as user Debug said
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 01:03:06 AM »

Hi and thanks for the official welcome :)

I believe our paths may have crossed many moons ago but I cant recall now when or where (memory fade - must be old age creeping up on me)... not sure if its perhaps early days of Plusnet or one of the other broadband forums.    I do know that you've been supporting the site for several years so thank you for that :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Err a bit late but - II as user Debug said
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 01:29:18 AM »

And would like to continue supporting the site, unless my beloved hits me over the head with a wet fish for making yet another (minuscule) donation.

I am very grateful for all the help (educationally) which the wise, patient and selfless kitizens have given me over the past six years or so, despite no end of dopey questions under the influence of drugs snd my never ending stresm of plugs covert and overt for my dream ISP (marmite), you-know-who.   ;D