Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DSLstats pre-release version 5.5.4 available for download  (Read 13908 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
DSLstats pre-release version 5.5.4 available for download
« on: June 19, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »

Changes since v5.5.1:

- added VDSL2 support for Thomson TG589vn V3
- added MDWS upload capability for Thomson/Technicolor modems
- added extra checking and retries for failed telnet disconnects

As usual, the support for Thomson/Technicolor modems is limited by what's available via the telnet interface. The VDSL2 support lacks many of the normal Broadcom features, as I've been unable to find a way of getting the pbParams data. But it does include most of the G.INP data.

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/downloads.html

(Scroll down to near bottom of page)
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: DSLstats pre-release version 5.5.4 available for download
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 04:13:41 PM »

This is now up & running on my W7 machine. Will it output anything to the Event log if it detects any errors on telnet disconnect?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 04:31:37 PM »

At the moment it will only log the event if it completely fails to disconnect after 5 attempts. Maybe in retrospect I should have logged every failure to disconnect, and if necessary I'll do that and give you a modified version to try out. But I'm hoping that it's an occasional failure and the repeated attempts will resolve the issue.

Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »

Eric I am wondering if there is an error which your retries clean up we will never know for sure. Rather than RMA my router right now I was going to contact ZyXEL and tell them what I've found so far, and thinking about it if you could do a test version which outputs whatever it gets on failure that might help them diagnose the issue. So if you can spare the time I'd appreciate a test version if it is not too time consuming.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 05:46:20 PM »

Ive requested from Zyxel in the past that they allow more than one telnet login.  They said they 'would look into it'

It does seem almost co-incidental that I only started seeing the lockup issues with the Zyxel since they introduced the telnet restriction. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 06:37:36 PM »

Eric I am wondering if there is an error which your retries clean up we will never know for sure. Rather than RMA my router right now I was going to contact ZyXEL and tell them what I've found so far, and thinking about it if you could do a test version which outputs whatever it gets on failure that might help them diagnose the issue. So if you can spare the time I'd appreciate a test version if it is not too time consuming.

Stuart

OK Stuart, I can do it early tomorrow morning. You'll want the Windows version, I think?
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 10:55:32 PM »

OK Stuart, I can do it early tomorrow morning. You'll want the Windows version, I think?

Yes please Eric.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 08:18:44 AM »

The Windows version v5.5.5 can be downloaded at: http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/files/dslstats32W-5.5.5.zip

In this version, if it takes more than one attempt to disconnect, then an entry is made in the event log to report the number of attempts; if it fails after 5 attempts, it gives up and reports this.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 08:26:02 AM »

Thanks very much Eric, this is now up and running and I wait to see if it shows anything.

Stuart

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 12:48:15 PM »

Ive requested from Zyxel in the past that they allow more than one telnet login.  They said they 'would look into it'

It does seem almost co-incidental that I only started seeing the lockup issues with the Zyxel since they introduced the telnet restriction.

Hmmm.

I wonder if that could have been the trigger for HG612 Modem Stats locking up when also running DSLStats?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 01:30:41 PM »

That could be the case. Kitz might like to try the version I linked to three messages above, which is intended to make extra sure that the telnet session is disconnected after collecting the data (or if it fails to do so).
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 06:00:17 PM »

I'll update my VMG8924 thread with any findings about this and any responses from ZyXEL.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 07:49:47 PM »

That could be the case. Kitz might like to try the version I linked to three messages above, which is intended to make extra sure that the telnet session is disconnected after collecting the data (or if it fails to do so).

I need to reboot my PC in a bit anyhow which will 'destroy' my longstanding graphs, so I'll install and let you know :)

I have rolled back to the previous f/w version though that is supposed to allow more than one telnet session.    However I still on the odd occasion see messages in DSLstats if I'm making any changes in the GUI and have that open.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 08:18:04 PM »

Installed and DSL stats seems fine. :thumbs:

Tried going into the GUI and changing a couple of settings.

The first time I attempted  I deliberately did so at 33 secs past the hour and clicked save.   The GUI just sat there with a spinning wheel doing nothing.  I refreshed the window and got an 'invalid session message'.

Logged back into the GUI and noticed my previous changes hadnt been saved (no surprise).

Attempted again, this time at 30/31 seconds past the hour.   GUI behaved normally and settings saved
DSL stats reports

Code: [Select]
21 Jun 2015 19:53:43 IP address is now xxxxxxxxx
21 Jun 2015 20:06:42 Timeout while collecting vendor data
21 Jun 2015 20:06:42 Telnet timeout

I'm assuming this would have been because the router was busy making and saving config changes.

Obviously this is nothing to do with you Eric and I dont expect you to be able to do anything about it.  I'm only reporting it because it may perhaps help give some understanding why sometimes people see an issue with the GUI locking on the Zyxel.   
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »

I've been having a think about the "timeout" issue, and I see that Stuart also sees the same issue with the first sample of a session. The timeout in question is 5 seconds after logging in is completed, and it's only there as a safety net to avoid hanging if something goes wrong during data collection. Normally it takes a lot less time to collect the data. I could increase the timeout, but I'm rather loath to do so because DSLstats is unresponsive during the data collection period, and if it takes longer than 5 seconds then something is wrong anyway.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3 4