Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Interleaved or fastpath?  (Read 49580 times)

boost

• Reg Member
Re: Interleaved or fastpath?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2015, 01:00:42 PM »

6ms is impressive. The lowest I've seen so far.

Shame your ISP doubles it!

What length do you reckon your copper tail is? What's attenuation reported as? :)

That isn't the ISP doubling it.   Hop 4 will be at the bRAS location and before any core routing. Liverpool doesnt have a core node, so most likely that will be somewhere like Manchester.   As mentioned in my earlier post 6-7ms is typical to bRAS, its also not unusual to see several hops at the bRAS before it enters the core.

Hop 9 is exiting the core at Ealing. 

Most BTw based ISPs except BTretail use L2TP tunnelling so that you never see any of the BTwholesale routing.  Many years ago I did some trials for Plusnet's RIN network where they didnt use L2TP and I could see clearly from that I went through Manchester.   There used to be another way you could view your routing, but Im not sure if it works on 21CN - I havent tried it. 

I find hop 5 quite interesting though and how things increase by 3ms - yet both hop4 and hop5 resolve to T-MAN (Metropolitan Access Node) but Ive no idea what a T-MAN is - searching throws up something to do with clusters & IPv6 and yet when I look at the next hop after it resolves to BT-UKIP-IPV4.   If someone has more info on that please do enlighten :)  Im not sure if those particular routers in that cluster could even have low priority to ICMP as note how hop 8 has lower latency, which is typical of prioritising ICMP.

If the access technology yields 6ms, everything thereafter (excluding the native fibre propagation delay, 1ms?) is simply inefficiency.

6ms to 13ms is sloppy design/aged hardware/misconfiguration.

The end :P

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »

If you want to upload your stats to MDWS then you'll need something like the HG612.

A caveat for N0STIE.    The prices of the HG612 have become silly money recently on Ebay.   Before you purchase please read this thread and avoid certain sellers who are charging extortionate prices.   It may be far more economical to purchase a decent combined unit.
If you want help on this please do ask. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2015, 01:59:18 PM »

I'd rather they gave low priority to ICMP rather than dropping UDP, which some of them seem to be doing. Since switching to Infinity I've noticed that NTP has become less reliable. Using tshark I can see that many requests just don't get a reply at peak times. Early in the morning, every request receives a reply.

I totally agree, and I suspect that is what they are doing for those routers reporting 8-9 ms.   It makes the network more efficient by prioritising. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2015, 02:05:44 PM »

If the access technology yields 6ms, everything thereafter (excluding the native fibre propagation delay, 1ms?) is simply inefficiency.

But its not that.    6ms is only the time taken to the bRAS - ie Manchester.  The additional 6ms on top of that bringing it up to 12ms is all the way to London.

When you break that tracert down to its most simplistic form it interprets as

6ms -  EU Premises <-> RAS - Enter the CORE Network at Manchester
12ms - EU Premises <-> London - Exit the CORE at Ealing London.
13ms - EU Premises <-> BBC - extra 1ms to get from Core exit point to the BBC server.
-----

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2015, 02:37:03 PM »

A caveat for N0STIE.    The prices of the HG612 have become silly money recently on Ebay.   Before you purchase please read this thread and avoid certain sellers who are charging extortionate prices.   It may be far more economical to purchase a decent combined unit.
If you want help on this please do ask.

Thanks kitz for this link, very useful! Just purchased one HG612 3B for £25.00 unfortunately locked one. I hope this is not that complicated to unlock it. Which firmware should I use to get the best out of it?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2015, 03:58:18 PM »

. . . Just purchased one HG612 3B for £25.00 unfortunately locked one. I hope this is not that complicated to unlock it. Which firmware should I use to get the best out of it?

Please have a read of the initial posting of this thread and take note of the added information coloured red. You should also download a copy of Asbokid's unlocking guide, make a hard-copy print out and carefully read it before attempting to unlock your HG612.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2015, 04:39:46 PM »

Hey bruakkucat,

I will read it carefully before unlocking! Do you suggest turning off BT Agent and how to do it?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2015, 04:47:45 PM »

Do you suggest turning off BT Agent and how to do it?

I don't recommend it but if you really want to do so, the simplest method is to remove the "channel" by which it communicates with Beattie Bellman's HQ;)  Once you have the HG612 unlocked, just ask and one of us will explain what change should be made to the configuration.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »

Yes I definietely will. Thanks for help and explanation burakkucat! I will post back in a few days once I get my modem and unlock it.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2015, 01:15:53 PM »

But its not that.    6ms is only the time taken to the bRAS - ie Manchester.  The additional 6ms on top of that bringing it up to 12ms is all the way to London.

When you break that tracert down to its most simplistic form it interprets as

6ms -  EU Premises <-> RAS - Enter the CORE Network at Manchester
12ms - EU Premises <-> London - Exit the CORE at Ealing London.
13ms - EU Premises <-> BBC - extra 1ms to get from Core exit point to the BBC server.

This is where my complete inability to do anything maths related fails me :P

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2015, 03:23:11 AM »

I would love to see fastpath at some point. Unfortunately I have never seen it on VDSL. I had VDSL with Zen on my last property and was always interleaved even though the BT engineer stated I had a very good clean line along with full sync.

Now in my new property, I believe the line may be noisier but still not too bad a sync at 75/20. No sign of fastpath here either. Best pings I get are 25ms to bbc from NE Scotland.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2015, 11:03:13 AM »

What ISP/modem? :)

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2015, 11:07:59 AM »

I'm still with Zen and using the HG612. I did use a Netgear D6400 for 8days. Currently back in the HG612.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »

I've no idea if it would help or hinder in general but have you looked at the maxDataRate command for the HG612?

You could potentially lower your synch which may allow for a more favourable latency profile? :)

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »

I've never even heard if the Max data rate command to be honest.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14