Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plusnet ended 40/20 on fibre extra  (Read 9221 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Plusnet ended 40/20 on fibre extra
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:24:28 AM »

Plusnet has quietly ended the fibre extra from 40/20 revert backward to 40/2 as from today.

Showing this on both the FTTC + Phone https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/ and without phone pages. https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

(Click the "Show package details" links).

There is a new Price List effective 17 June 2015 here: http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/pric...oadband_family

carlmagic

Re: Plusnet ended 40/20 on fibre extra
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »

A rep has said on the forum that anyone currently on 40/20 or who signed up for it recently will be left with the 40/20 as long as you keep paying / don't change your package or move house (As long as it does not have to be provisioned again).

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:04:05 PM »

Can't believe they've stooped as low as 40/2 without any option for a 40/10 product and the 80/20 product has gone up in price, unless that's without the £2.50 discount for taking the phone with them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:24:42 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 08:22:46 PM »

This is a backwards step in my view. I simply cannot believe why more ISPs are not providing 40/10 at least if not 40/20. It was always my gripe with TT that it was 40/2 which in my view is plain stupid. I'd be happy with 40/10 at least preferably 40/20 but 40/2 makes simply no sense whatsoever. To my mind the ONLY reson to do this is to force anyone who wants reasonable upload speeds to buy higher than warranted download speeds. It is a rip off.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 08:47:46 PM »

It's always UK rip off, more rip off! Getting fed up with it.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 11:44:05 PM »

TalkTalk also do 40/2 or 80/20, seems a big gap in upstream speeds tbh, but I assume its all to do with the costing at wholesale level
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »

IMHO it is a step backward. 

I can fully understand reversal of the '40/20' which IMHO was not the best move for a 'budget' isp.  A large portion of lines are unable to get more than 40Mbps and comparatively very few seldom use 20Mbps, or probably wont even be able to sync at that speed, so they were paying for something that a substantial portion of their userbase would be unable to use.   

I doubt it would bring in that many new users, so its just throwing away £36.72 pa multiplied by 10/100's of thousands of customers.  Ive no idea how many customers were on 40/20 but even at just 20k its got to be at least £0.5million wasted pa.

OTOH, cutting back to 40/2 is more about penny pinching and only saving about 50p pm per EU..  and its certainly likely to cause some customers to move or chose a competitor.  2Mbps upstream isnt that attractive to me.  I got more than that on adsl2+ (2.4 - 2.6 Mbps)

I'm not sure its a rip off.  Its a valid product and we in the UK have DSL pricing much cheaper than in other countries.   Go look at the prices in the US and you'll cringe.
I do however think what theyve done is a step backwards and could even be a bit sneaky because I can imagine quite a few people wont realise they are now selling 40/2 even though it is on the website.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 09:13:58 PM »

IMHO it is a step backward. 

I can fully understand reversal of the '40/20' which IMHO was not the best move for a 'budget' isp.  A large portion of lines are unable to get more than 40Mbps and comparatively very few seldom use 20Mbps, or probably wont even be able to sync at that speed, so they were paying for something that a substantial portion of their userbase would be unable to use.   

I doubt it would bring in that many new users, so its just throwing away £36.72 pa multiplied by 10/100's of thousands of customers.  Ive no idea how many customers were on 40/20 but even at just 20k its got to be at least £0.5million wasted pa.

OTOH, cutting back to 40/2 is more about penny pinching and only saving about 50p pm per EU..  and its certainly likely to cause some customers to move or chose a competitor.  2Mbps upstream isnt that attractive to me.  I got more than that on adsl2+ (2.4 - 2.6 Mbps)

I'm not sure its a rip off.  Its a valid product and we in the UK have DSL pricing much cheaper than in other countries.   Go look at the prices in the US and you'll cringe.
I do however think what theyve done is a step backwards and could even be a bit sneaky because I can imagine quite a few people wont realise they are now selling 40/2 even though it is on the website.
Just a thought, Kitz, if one just compares prices without, also, reference to wage and price levels in both countries, is comparison fair?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 10:19:24 PM »

I dunno..   certain things are usually cheaper over there than in the UK.   Housing, cars, electronics etc.

Many years ago we seriously considered moving over there and we costed up things in quite depth. Salary was slightly more but not that much in it.  Our standard of living would have been better purely based on the lower cost of housing/car/fuel and this was in a prime gulf coast location.  I wasn't 'into' DSL back then so no idea on the telephony side.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 11:49:30 PM »

World Bank suggests (2013) that £1.10 would buy US$1.00 worth of goods in US

adrenalize

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 10:34:18 PM »

Grrr really frustrating as my previously EO line has just been upgraded to a cab just after Plusnet changed their 38 Meg fibre to 40/2 only with no 40/10 offering.

Very annoying as my line check suggests 40Meg max download so they'll only offer me the 38/2 service even if I offer to pay more.

Might have to try and find another ISP as its only £35 quid to end my contract early!

Am I right in saying BT and EE both offer the 40/10 profile? Any other cheap provider?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 10:58:37 PM »

kitz when you add up all the 2015 changes from plusnet it makes sense, currently I am considering moving to sky LLU.

e.g. moving staff from the night shift is also penny pinching and the network performance drops in 2015 which still havent been fixed.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »

Post 15 in the PN Communnity might interest.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 11:06:26 PM »

cheers ren.

@ chrys...  I really dont know but Im not sure if I like the budget feel.    Ive been with plusnet before when they were very very good.. and then see things go downhill.   Ive said before about deja vu :(
-----

adrenalize

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 07:52:55 AM »

I know it's gone quiet on this one but I still found it frustrating - even more so as I've now moved to Origin on 40/10 profile - which is actually just a resold Plusnet service!! :o
Pages: [1] 2