Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Firefox add-ons needed  (Read 6031 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Firefox add-ons needed
« on: February 27, 2008, 01:04:30 AM »

I know I have tried FF in the past and it was better than IE6, but for one reason or another keep coming back to IE6.
One of the reasons was being not being able to alter the toolbar the way I wanted to,
(but I could live with that "eventually")

Another problem I had was it changed all my Taskbar, Quickstart and Desktop internet shortcut icons to the FF icon which I hated.
Although I did try one suggestion before, but it did not work, again it may just need more time to investigate the settings,
(which I now have)

However, I thought I would give it another shot, as to be honest it wasn't too bad, it just needed more tweaks and more time spending on it to get it running as much as possible the way I would like it.

So my question is this:
Can any one suggest any add-ons, such as spell checker with UK spellings.
or anything else which you either use or think may come in handy.

I realise this is a broad question, but I don't really know how else to put it because I don't really know either what I want, or what I need. :no:

Thanks

(IE7 is definitely not compatible with some of my programs as again I have tried it in the past on several occasions)
Neither did I like Opera, so again I won't be going down that route either.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: Firefox add-ons needed
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:26:08 AM »

1) Grab the British English dictionary from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

other add-ons I would recommend as essential are:

2) Adblock plus: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865 (stops pesky adverts appearing on sites)

3) IEtab: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419 (for those sites that don't display well in firefox)

4) Downthemall: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201 (a very powerful download manager)

Also useful is:

5) View Cookies: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/315 (allows you to manage/export your cookies)

Those are all tried and trusted add-ons that I use and recommend.

Hope that helps.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:44:52 AM »

Another addon which I find very useful is "Add bookmark here" which adds a menu item of that name to the bottom of every bookmark section.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 09:06:45 AM »

OF,  I use Firefox mainly  (with IE7 for necessities)  as well as the ones already noted   I find the following useful ...but it's horses for courses  ......

Download Status Bar
Clip marks
Bookmark Duplicate Detector
Map ( views map of selected addresses)
Weather (current and up to 10 days forecast)

hth   

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 09:25:36 AM »

Kate, with the IE tab add-on, you never need use IE again.

A few more Firefox features that I do think put it in a league of its own are:

1) In tools / options /general, you can set your start-up page to either your home page, a blank page, or the windows and tabs from your previous session.

2) On the tabs tab of options, you can actually force sites that would normally open in a new window to open in a new tab (I think that is the default setting).

3) The search box on the tool bar is set to google as default, but there is a nifty drop-down list of other searches which is customisable.  I find it very handy for example to be able to directly search wikipedia, imdb, bbc news, etc.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 03:55:58 PM »

Thanks people, I am taking notice and will get back to you all later.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 04:00:11 PM »

I use some of the Add-ons mentioned above.

Downloadthemall is ace at times...lol
AdBlock Plus is a must.

A couple of others I use.

Session Manager, I generally have a few Tabs open & 2/3 windows open. I just shut down the PC, never close FF & when I start the PC you get a pop-up window asking if you`d like to restore the previous session, click recover & all the things you were looking at when you shut down are opened again.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324

No Script, is a Add-on that stop Java running unless you allow it, some people like this, some don`t.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Theres loads more to cover just about everything.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:1

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 12:30:41 AM »

Just a progress update:

I have finally installed firefox, although I may have gone a little over-board with the add-one, "I installed all of the ones recommended above"

Ok, it's obviously different which will take some time to get used to, but I will give it a week and see how things are going then.

No Script, is a Add-on that stop Java running unless you allow it, some people like this, some don`t.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Yes I see what you mean (some people like this, some don`t)
Obviously knowing why a page is not loading "properly" makes all the difference though.
But as with the rest of it, I'll hang-on in with it and see how it goes.

I was just about to comment on the spell checker, but just discovered one more good point over other checkers,  that is at least I can choose to ignore any highlighted words, such as, msg53479 and forum names that in the past you always had to select or reject.

However there are some listed above that I am not too sure exactly what they do.
So needles to say those have not yet been tried.

Such as:
Downthemall: "I need to go back and read-up on that one"
Disable blinking elements: "at the moment I have not seen anything blinking so can't comment on that one"

Ah yes, there is a question, when I first installed FF it asked if I wanted it to be my default browser, the first few times of opening it I chose to ignore the box that said not to ask again, however, is there a way of restoring this box, so should I want to chose to open IE6 without the FF tool-bar I can?

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 01:51:48 AM »

OF,
Not quite sure what you mean about opening IE6 without the toolbar.
To either make FF your default browser or not go to Tools -> Options -> Main Tab -> At the bottom either tick or untick in System Defaults "Always check if to see if FF is default".

dave

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 02:06:14 AM »

Yes I tried that, but no joy.

What I would like to do is just to open a plain old IE6 browser. As if FF was not installed.
At the moment I have to open FF then select the IE6 tab which still gives me all of the FF tool-bars.

edit.

Okay I found a way, I still had a IE short-cut on menu list and that still opens IE.

But I'm going to have to wait until later today to try what I want to, as I have just started a DL which is maxing me out.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:31:44 AM by oldfogy »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 06:40:10 PM »

To open IE without using a shortcut, go to Start/Run and type iexplore

To turn off the message when IE complains it isn't the default browser, go to Tools / Internet Options, click on the Programs tab, and at the bottom there is a checkbox "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser". Simply untick it.

If you want to put the shortcut on your desktop, find it in the Start Menu, and instead of left-clicking to open the program, right-click it and choose Copy from the menu. Then get back to your desktop, right-click anywhere and choose Paste. That will copy the shortcut to your desktop whilst still leaving it on the start menu.

As an aside, I think a lot of people are told, or do anyway, simply drag menu items from the Start Menu to their desktop, and then wonder why they can't find them on the start menu again. Doing this just moves the shortcut from the start menu to the desktop, thereby deleting it from the start menu.

Something a lot of people aren't aware of is that you can drag a file or folder using the right mouse button instead of the left. This has exactly the same effect, but when you release the button, a little menu pops up giving you the option to copy/move/create shortcut or cancel the drag action. Very useful indeed - I use it all the time!
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 08:27:06 PM »

Unfortunately I have a confession to make"

I somehow managed to bugger-up my system over the week-end so had to re-ghost it Which meant wiping out FF and going back to basics.
(nothing to do with FF) well not that I know of.

So it's back on hold for a couple of days.

But I really do appreciate all the advice and links for the add-ons which will come in handy again later.

anything