Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: O.E. Playing up.  (Read 4687 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
O.E. Playing up.
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:32:36 PM »

I have two PCs, wireless network via Orange livebox and Netgear adaptors.
One PC - XP Home, the other XP Pro.
I can get my emails via the Orange web site on either computer and, until three hours ago either PC would get the mail via Outlook Express.
I tried to check my email on OE on the XP Pro machine and it failed to download so I checked on the web and it was (you guessed it) a massive attachment and inclusion that had caused the problem. So I just deleted it from the Orange site and used a goolemail addy to send a tester email.
No luck with OE, it came up with this:
Message number 1 could not be retrieved. Account: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Server: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD
I went to the second PC and it downloaded the test email onto OE ok.

I have since tried several other emails and the machine that had the problem, still has.

The settings in both OEs seem the same and the web mail is empty so nothing is trying to get down to OE now but I still get the same message.

Hope someone can help.
dave

soms

• Reg Member
Re: O.E. Playing up.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »

dave,

looking on google that error woud suggest bad mail on the server but as you say you deleted all the mail in web mail.

Here is a recurring solution from google for that error:

To work around this issue, follow these steps:

1. Start Outlook Express.
2. On the Tools menu, point to Message Rules, and then click Mail.
3. In the Select the Conditions for your rule box, click to select the Where the message size is more than size check box.
4. Click the size link in "Where the message size is more than size" in the Rule Description (click on an underlined value to edit it) box.
5. In the Set size dialog box, type 1000, and then click OK.
6. In the Select the Actions for your rule box, click to select the Delete it check box, and then click OK.
7. Restart Outlook Express.

*** Warning - adding this rule will DELETE any emails over 1MB in size. Once deleted, they CANNOT BE RETRIEVED! ***

It is worth a try, but it is odd how one machine is OK and the other isn't.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 01:18:33 AM by mr_chris »

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »

That solution seems to set a rule on incoming mail which might not work if you have no mail to cause a problem  :-[

Another one suggests a bug in OE where by you need to delete the OE Outbox storage file and restart.

Check the email address being sent to (no additional dots or spaces). Send your self-an e-mail; if you receive it the recipients e-mail may have a problem. If fails follow screen saver section. Try> click START>FIND>FILES OR FOLDERS type in outbox.dbx, press FIND NOW, EDIT>SELECT ALL, FILE>DELETE and restart your computer (Delete outbox).

That solution is with regards to the later error code. My appologies for simply copying and pasting from Google results  ::)

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »

This is the weirdest thing.

After removing all the mail on the web server I was then getting a differently worded error message.

I went to Tools -> Accounts and in the mail window, the spelling of the account name had gone on the blink.
It had changed to
pop.oranghome.co.uk

notice the 'e' missing from between orange and home!

I removed the account and added it again, with the correct spelling, as a new account and everything is OK.

The other PC account is OK.

I wonder if the missing 'e' went off to look for a buyer on ebay!  :lol:

Thanks for the help and I will be having a word with b-i-l about sending massive emails without thinking.

dave 

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:55:56 PM »

Hmm very odd  ???

The spelling of the account name can be whatever you like, I tend to use friendly names when setting it up for friends and so on so rather than mail.btinternet.com I would put in BT Yahoo Mail or something like that.

It seems removing the account and setting it up again might have been the solution - all well and good as long as you can remember the password  :)

As client and webmail users we tend to remember but for those out there who run a set up disc or configure the account once when they join the ISP it can prove more problematic.

Glad you got it sorted  ;)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:20:55 AM »

Soms, hope you don't mind, I've edited your post to include a warning about the message rule you posted, to stop some poor soul blindly following it to the letter without being aware of what it does! If some large red warning text isn't enough to stop them, then I don't know what is ;)
Chris

anything