Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: BT Begins UK Rollout of Vectoring to Fix FTTC “Fibre Broadband” Speeds  (Read 28247 times)

themanstan

Well that's not what has been found to be the case on this forum based on knowledge of which eci hardware is in use the ECI Hi-FOCus M41 Dslam doesn't support vectoring this seems to be the one chosen by bt

The M41 does support vectoring - but only at a line card level.  Its been discussed a few times, but this was the original one

See threads
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,13268.msg249932.html#msg249932

and

Quote from: kitz
The ECI cabs could prove problematic because although vectoring can be done at a line card level, its not as efficient as a standalone vectoring module.  By efficient I mean in terms of spare lines and manual intervention.  The nearest I can equate it to is wanting to add a new PCI card into your PC, but youve run out of PCI slots.  The ECI cabs dont appear to have room or capability for a new module to be added, so its anyone's guess yet how BT will proceed with the ECIs.

Wasn´t one of the BTOR talks mentioning the possibility of cable rearrangements at cabinet level being considered as part of network improvements?
This would go hand in hand with card level vectoring, a lot more labour intensive but would reduce capital costs.
2 Maine Coons, Onyx and Ash, kitten Onyx shown

Mark07

• Reg Member

I wonder if Openreach have told their own staff about this yet.

Yes they have...  but last time it mentioned it all hell broke loose and I had to remove the whole thread :(
This is why it pee's me off when people diss information coming from this forum, because it was mentioned here 3 weeks ago.

Ah, I didn't see that, it's a shame good info had to be taken down  :(

WWWombat

• Kitizen

Ah, I didn't see that, it's a shame good info had to be taken down  :(

Same here, I think. Must create more kitz-reading time  :graduate:

simoncraddock

• Reg Member

Good explanation of FEXT technology here...

http://www.ospmag.com/issue/article/Saving-Coppers-Life
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I just read the article and spotted comments from "AndyH".

Who is this guy, a reputable source or ??? Seems to be questioning the PR office at BT

I think the PR folk need to double check internally what they’ve told you as the left and right hands don’t seem to be talking to one another.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Mark07

• Reg Member

Who is this guy, a reputable source or ??? Seems to be questioning the PR office at BT

I think the PR folk need to double check internally what they’ve told you as the left and right hands don’t seem to be talking to one another.

He posts a lot of good info on the PN forums, not sure where he's from / works for but he seems to be in the know to some extent

renluop

• Kitizen

He posts a lot of good info on the PN forums, not sure where he's from / works for but he seems to be in the know to some extent
Not sure if that's how he's seen over there by everyone, but then how do the simpler folk judge? :-\ ;D

Mark07

• Reg Member

Well from what I've seen he's been quite helpful, can't speak for every one of his posts / threads

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

he is someone who I think is affiliated with BT group somehow or maybe affiliated to an isp who has access to all the briefings, but whenever I question him now in terms of his relation to BT, the mods intervene calling it a personal attack. I suspect one reason he wont post on this site is then kitz could check his ip :p and he doesnt want it known who he is.

The problem with what he posts is he takes everything said in those briefings as if its never wrong and also he himself seems to be misunderstanding some of the information, plus anything provided by the community such as this forum he tosses aside as if its irrelevant.  He also talks down to people as if they lower beings, and tosses aside people's legit problems as if they dont matter.

lf2k

Well from what I've seen he's been quite helpful, can't speak for every one of his posts / threads

I'd agree - but there is a certain amount of arrogance on the PN forum, and generally he is usually mixed up in anything vaguely controversial.  Another person (name begins with "I") comes across as arrogant as well.  Both of them are obviously well versed in what's going on at BT, but perhaps they only know what they're being "told"...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

This topic seems to spark debates again, but I think the big clue is in this statement

“fibre broadband” lines and thus improves service speeds, is now being deployed around the United Kingdom; specifically focusing on “areas where it delivers the most benefit to customers“.

I am certainly not aware of any plans for ECI's - I believe a rumour came somewhere over on the PN forums last year by one of the reps that it could be done when talking about the pilots... and we've known for a while on here that its possible at a line card level, yet Ive never seen mention of how it could be done or if it would be done by Openreach.

But we do know that some of the Huawei's are capable, we know its been it trial and we know BT could if they so wish use it to regain speed lost through cross talk.  Its never been intended as a way to improve speeds.    BDUK uses Huawei cabs and BDUK rollouts are in some of the more rural area's where it could make a difference.   I get the feeling vectoring is not completely dead in the water,  but whether or not it will be rolled out nationwide certainly seems to be something BT are keeping stum on.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adslmax

• Kitizen

I just wish BT just get on with it and tell us if vectoring are going to be roll out or not? Plusnet's AndyH say NO, it will not gonna to happen.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Patience is a virtue, and BT are under no obligation to tell anybody about how they conduct their business. Yes, it would be nice of them to do so, but that's all it is .......... niceness.

I don't know AndyH, but I've got a sneaky feeling this statement ..... ' Plusnet's AndyH say NO, it will not gonna to happen' is completely incorrect.  ;) Nuff said.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

I just wish BT just get on with it and tell us if vectoring are going to be roll out or not? Plusnet's AndyH say NO, it will not gonna to happen.

AndyH is NOT a plusnet rep.  He has access to certain information, but often that information is down to his interpretation.  I've tried to nicely correct him over a few things, but since it backfires Ive given up trying to be nice about it and as mentioned further up in the thread it is sometimes wrong and he just completely ignores anything to the contrary.

Some of them that I can recall off the top of my head
  • - NGA2 - a misunderstanding of what it is - ie it is not a product & something similar with brownfields
  • - Telling people seeing speed reductions of 10Mb and doubling of latency that its not performance affecting

• Rubbishing the 30 mins guideline and insisting its 30 seconds - link.
    1) He misunderstood the difference between RAP and DLM.   30 seconds is in relation to RAP and picking up a correct IPprofile and nothing to do with DLM side.
    2) I can state that although the DSLAMs are capable of seeing a dying gasp and although its a requirement of SIN - it is not the method used by DLM.  BT has its own method of detecting wide area events (thunderstorms/powercuts) & unforced retrains.   An unforced retrain is when it is assumed to be EU turning off the modem.  DLM counts and uses unforced retrains and not dying gasps.  He still refuses to believe that he is wrong.

• His quote after I disclosed the chipset link between the ECI's/HH5A/TP-Link - link
    You keep going on about the modems being incompatible - they are compatible and have been tested for quite some time.

• Rubbish about MarkII G.INP rollout and refusing to believe that the default profile is Upstream, Error Protection off.  Despite all the evidence to the contrary on the forums and that I know for sure that I am correct on this, he still refuses to see it any other way and that its down to his misinterpretation of facts. :/

You are correct about arrogance :/

Another person (name begins with "I")
If you mean Ignitionet,  then he's a different kettle of fish. He normally does have a good idea of what is going on and he has a very strong background knowledge of DSL and how it works.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tommy45

• Reg Member

Just been browsing the pn forum and this guy just cannot help himself, oh well such is life,  https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140470.msg1240118.html#msg1240118
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5