Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: BT Begins UK Rollout of Vectoring to Fix FTTC “Fibre Broadband” Speeds  (Read 28296 times)

underzone

• Reg Member

BT Openreach has confirmed that VDSL2 Vectoring (ITU-T G.993.5), which reduces crosstalk interference on ‘up to’ 40-80Mbps FTTC “fibre broadband” lines and thus improves service speeds, is now being deployed at locations around the United Kingdom; specifically focusing on “areas where it delivers the most benefit to customers“.

The technology, which is also known as Self-FEXT Cancellation, was originally created several years ago in order to tackle an irritating problem where lots of active copper VDSL2 (FTTC) lines would effectively create interference for one another.

The result of this crosstalk interference is that FTTC connections can suffer a significant fall in download and upload speed (experiences vary but -10% to -30% performance loss isn’t unknown). As such Vectoring works a bit like noise cancelling headphones and coordinates the copper VDSL2 line signals in order to remove most of that interference.

Recently there has been some speculation about the future of Vectoring on FTTC lines, not least because BT’s forthcoming (2016/17) commercial roll-out of ultrafast 500Mbps+ capable G.fast broadband technology would appear to make spending money on Vectoring upgrades less attractive. On top of that Vectoring is no longer listed on BTWholesale’s latest Broadband Roadmap for the near-term future.

Openreach has now informed ISPreview.co.uk that Vectoring on FTTC lines is still a “key part” of their toolkit and they are continuing to “test and develop its capabilities“. Crucially they’ve also started deploying Vectoring outside of the trial areas, focusing specifically on FTTC street cabinets / areas where the benefit of its deployment would be most keenly felt. Sadly Openreach was not able to offer any further details.

As it stands BT’s focus going forwards is likely to be increasingly directed towards their future G.fast upgrades. As a technology G.fast has been a lot less hassle to test and implement than FTTC Vectoring, although the outcome of BT’s real-world trials may yet impact their plans (these are about to begin).

Source: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/06/bt-begins-uk-rollout-of-vectoring-to-fix-fttc-fibre-broadband-speeds.html
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:52:20 PM by underzone »

tommy45

• Reg Member

They better had increase the capacity of their network if they are rolling out vectoring and g fast, as it cannot fully cope with demand now in some areas,

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I wonder will ECI cabinets be able to accept vectoring technology?  ;D
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Mark07

• Reg Member

I wonder will ECI cabinets be able to accept vectoring technology?  ;D

This was my first thought, hopefully we don't get left out....

themanstan

2 Maine Coons, Onyx and Ash, kitten Onyx shown

underzone

• Reg Member

tommy45

• Reg Member

According to this ECI blog entry, yes!

http://blog.ecitele.com/Pages/Post.aspx?PostID=60&Author=ECI%20Staff
Well that's not what has been found to be the case on this forum based on knowledge of which eci hardware is in use the ECI Hi-FOCus M41 Dslam doesn't support vectoring this seems to be the one chosen by bt

themanstan

So if the V41 marketed as system level vectoring ready, why would it need firmware upgrade?
2 Maine Coons, Onyx and Ash, kitten Onyx shown

ejs

• Kitizen

The firmware upgrade refers to the CPE - those based on the Lantiq VRX268 chip (as present in the ECI B-Focus modems).

The ECI cabinet will support vectoring in the sense that the V41 will fit in the cabinet if the M41 is taken out first.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Vectoring on FTTC lines is still a “key part” of their toolkit and they are continuing to “test and develop its capabilities“. Crucially they’ve also started deploying Vectoring outside of the trial areas, focusing specifically on FTTC street cabinets / areas where the benefit of its deployment would be most keenly felt.

One point to BlackSheep and ya boo sucks to another source of information. ;D

---------
Important Note:
I thought I best clarify - that is most definitely NOT directed at Ignitionet.   I don't want another flame-war.   
It wasn't Ignitionet's information that was in dispute last time either... but another 3rd party.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

Well that's not what has been found to be the case on this forum based on knowledge of which eci hardware is in use the ECI Hi-FOCus M41 Dslam doesn't support vectoring this seems to be the one chosen by bt

The M41 does support vectoring - but only at a line card level.  Its been discussed a few times, but this was the original one

See threads
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,13268.msg249932.html#msg249932

and

Quote from: kitz
The ECI cabs could prove problematic because although vectoring can be done at a line card level, its not as efficient as a standalone vectoring module.  By efficient I mean in terms of spare lines and manual intervention.  The nearest I can equate it to is wanting to add a new PCI card into your PC, but youve run out of PCI slots.  The ECI cabs dont appear to have room or capability for a new module to be added, so its anyone's guess yet how BT will proceed with the ECIs.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Mark07

• Reg Member

I wonder if Openreach have told their own staff about this yet.

*Waits for BlackSheep to step in*   ;D

adslmax

• Kitizen

I was very surprise that Openreach start to roll out vectoring on all haewei cabinets soon but no date confirmed yet. :( But, what worrying me is what about ECI cabinets?

simoncraddock

• Reg Member

This is like a Dick Emery classic with BT..."think I got it wrong again!"

I'm guessing there are some red faces amongst those responsible for opting for ECI equipment.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

I wonder if Openreach have told their own staff about this yet.

Yes they have...  but last time it mentioned it all hell broke loose and I had to remove the whole thread :(
This is why it pee's me off when people diss information coming from this forum, because it was mentioned here 3 weeks ago.
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything