Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Site re-Vamp.  (Read 19334 times)

jazz

• Reg Member
Re: Site re-Vamp.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »

Thanks Chris - I've "refreshed" and all is well.  I'm glad I wasn't a spy when I was working - I couildn't have kept up with all this reverse-reverse bluff and double bluff stuff.  I even find it quite hard to type!  I love the new colours and everything though.  I find them very easy on the eye.  The whole site seems to have had a "reet good spring clean" as a result.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 10:39:56 PM »

lol.. what's all this thanks chris business :P - i've hardly done a thing - kitz has done all the hard work, i merely helped out where i could!!

By the way Jazz, it's all about reverse psychology.... :-\
Chris

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 11:55:56 PM »

After an evening at the pub quiz drinking last weeks winnings, the site is very easy on the eyes and a pleasure to read.
I can find the buttons easier now, too!

Well done all who were involved. It is a credit to your hard work and long hours.

dave

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 01:07:43 AM »

Is that also a NEW addition on the "Read new posts" etc section where there is a small page icon on the far right of the screen, that says "Last Post" when the mouse is hovered over it, or just that I have never noticed it in the past?

Either way, it's a brilliant idea, and if it's not new I just wished I had seen it before..  :thumbs:

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »

All these replies are reminding me of the moths in it's a bug's life.

"no fred don't look into the light!" "but  It's   so   beautifulllll"  ZAP

Mind you I do like the new graduated colours...........................ZAP

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »

Is that also a NEW addition on the "Read new posts" etc section where there is a small page icon on the far right of the screen, that says "Last Post" when the mouse is hovered over it, or just that I have never noticed it in the past?

Either way, it's a brilliant idea, and if it's not new I just wished I had seen it before..  :thumbs:

Nope, it's been there a while!

It's funny how you start looking and spotting new things when other things change isn't it.

:)
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 04:04:22 PM »

> It's funny how you start looking and spotting new things when other things change isn't it.
Yep, I just never noticed it before and always, clicked the main title followed by selecting the last page and then scrolling down to the bottom of the page, "long winded or what"  8)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 07:31:38 PM »

hehe - yeah very long winded... all that scrolling ;) hehe

Did you know you can jump straight to the first unread post in a topic too?

if you click on the Forum title, you will see a little button next to the topic title, clicking this will jump you straight to the first unread post in the topic. Very useful I find - although I tend to use the Show unread posts since last visit link at the top of the forum so I know exactly what I need to catch up on!

Just personal preference I guess :)

I really like this forum software - there's loads of ways to do things. Guess that's the benefit of open-source software ;D
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2008, 12:11:06 AM »

Just to briefly add my admiration for the new site design....

I really like the colour scheme and the new menu buttons, certainly provides a more "seamless" experience across the whole site.

Well done on getting all the code and odds and ends ironed out, the end result was certainly worth it ;)

I did think you might have opted for a database driven content management system such as Joomla for the site content given it might have been easier to set up [perhaps] and may have been easier to maintain in some ways.

All the same, its nice that you went to the effort to update the site and it looks great, whilst remaining familiar and certainly reflects all your hard work and late nights  :)

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 11:28:35 AM »

Very nice upgrade. I find it looks better overall, is easy to navigate around, and I never liked the weather pixie.

The information available on the site is, as ever, excellent.

Thanks.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2008, 12:41:27 PM »

>> I did think you might have opted for a database driven content management system such as Joomla.

I did consider joomla and looked at a few content management systems,  I think the over-riding factor why I didnt was because it would mean that all pages then would be php.  Much of the present site is .htm and bookmarked as such.  I think the other thing was although there are a large amount of joomla type themes, they all seemed to have a similar overall design, and I wanted to do something that did keep a little bit of site individualism?

The site content was actually templated already, so once I'd done the new design then it was a case of applying the new template to the existing pages.
Most of the time was spent on the re-organisation and re-categorisation of the site.  The design of the new template wasnt too bad, but I think I spent a fair amount of time messing with the graphics and colour gradients and deciding on a new logo..  and then also applying the same theme into the forum SMF template.  I also took the opportunity to make most of the pages w3 and css valid. 

>> I find it looks better overall, is easy to navigate around,

Thanks - the previous "adsl" section had grown too big and content definitely needed splitting into  new isp and router sections.

>> and I never liked the weather pixie.

heh a relic from the days when the site was more my "personal pages". 
I had a couple of comments about the flash banner going too - a few people liked that - but whilst I was chuffed when I did it made it several years ago.. it was beginning to look dated.

Thanks everyone for you comments :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 [3]