Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Danish TDC - Bonding, Vplus, G.fast  (Read 25328 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Danish TDC - Bonding, Vplus, G.fast
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2015, 11:34:25 PM »

And more good news BT is rolling IPv6 to Entire Network by December 2016.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/09/uk-isp-bt-to-deploy-ipv6-to-entire-network-by-december-2016.html

Thank you for that link. Perhaps we should be cautious and insert the word "aims" into that headline . . .

UK ISP BT Aims to Deploy IPv6 to Entire Network by December 2016

Many a good plan has suffered subsequent delays due to unforeseen circumstance.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2015, 07:25:18 AM »

not that long a wait given openreach have already said they starting g.fast rollout in 2016.  g.fast doesnt excite me tho so i will be keeping my vdsl service.

My understanding is that G.Fast will be implemented by bringing the fibre nearer to the EUs with the use of mini/micro-DSLAMs, i.e. FTTN (where N is node). VDSL2 will still be used over the last metallic segment in the pathway.

Or am I totally confused?  ???

Especially as g.fast will have less favourable contention.

Do you have a link to a reference explaining the above, please Chrys?

That's absolutely correct, Cat. There will be no adverse effect on existing VDSL1 services (ie: crosstalk), as there will be frequency separation between the end of VDSL1 tones and the start of VDSL2 tones. :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2015, 08:25:34 AM »

I just have hearsay from others on tbb.

So we have currently 40/80mbit users on a 2.5gbit cabinet connection.
G.fast it was said would be 300-500mbit on a 1gbit connection from the node.  So in theory 3 users could saturate the node, of course the node sizes will be less users than cabinets, but that kind of contention is what cable uses and is too much for me.

Blacksheep openreach dont use vdsl1, only vdsl2, so I assume you mean they wont use the vdsl2 range on g.fast.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2015, 08:31:47 AM »

Apologies. yes, that is indeed what I meant.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2015, 08:39:51 AM »

no worries

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2015, 03:37:50 PM »

Frankly I'd be more concerned about what frequencies they intend using as the VHF (87.5-108MHz) band is out, so is the first 17MHz due to VDSL2 and with Ofcom wanting to use the bands 58-68MHz, 70.5-71.5MHz & 80-81.5MHz for the "Internet of Things" <spit> I'm intrigued how BT propose to actually achieve the aggregate speeds they appear to be promising on g.fast.

I suspect that the headline aggregate speeds will be extremely dependent on location - and by that I mean what TXs are radiating in the local area rather than the distance to the node......

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »

I just have hearsay from others on tbb.

It is always sensible to keep a proverbial pinch of salt to hand (or paw) when considering such hearsay from that site.  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2015, 05:25:41 PM »

Frankly I'd be more concerned about what frequencies they intend using as the VHF (87.5-108MHz) band is out, so is the first 17MHz due to VDSL2 and with Ofcom wanting to use the bands 58-68MHz, 70.5-71.5MHz & 80-81.5MHz for the "Internet of Things" <spit> I'm intrigued how BT propose to actually achieve the aggregate speeds they appear to be promising on g.fast.

I suspect that the headline aggregate speeds will be extremely dependent on location - and by that I mean what TXs are radiating in the local area rather than the distance to the node......

Not my forte, but 20-106Mhz will be used during the trial period. What reality brings I wouldn't know ??

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2015, 05:31:44 PM »

Not my forte, but 20-106Mhz will be used during the trial period. What reality brings I wouldn't know ??

That is interesting. I shall speculate that possibly the 87.5 - 106 MHz segment will be masked, with a power cut-back in place.  :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »

I wouldn't have the foggiest, my learned companion.  ???:)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2015, 05:44:27 PM »

Well, 87.5 - 108 MHz is the range of frequencies allocated to Band II (audio) broadcasting.  :)

If the infrastructure will be such that no RF energy escapes from the metallic pair and, thus, does not cause interference to licensed users of the above frequency range all will be good.  ;)

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »

You're looking at it the wrong way around ;)

Nearby FM broadcasts will play havoc with bitloading even on brand-new cabling with perfect balance - been there got that T-shirt in 2013.

What you need to remember is that the front end on xDSL is differential and if anyone knows how to perfectly balance the diff amps on every die such that no breakthrough occurs then speak up because I can get you a £300k/year job right now with Bell Labs. No joke.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2015, 06:07:53 PM »

Bow out time ..... you two are speaking on another level.  ;D ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »

You're looking at it the wrong way around ;)

Pah!  :D

I can only see xDSL making use of transceivers at each end of a metallic pathway. As long as signals from those transceivers do not leak from the metallic pathway and interfere with licensed broadcast transmissions, all well and good.  :)

For those on-lookers, of course I know and understand the points Rizla has made (and I strongly suspect that the reciprocal is also true). Looking at it from my viewpoint, the sooner full fibre optical links are used, the better for all concerned.  ;)

« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2015, 06:34:07 PM »

The problems with g.fast are largely on the analogue side of things but these problems have a HUGE impact on the vectoring resources (DSP side of things) which in turn has a huge impact on die size and power consumption hence the industry interest in analogue engineers.

The bottom line is that all this complexity/cost/power usage is because we're trying to send a signal down a transmission line which it was never designed for. Internal wiring is going to be a nightmare for most people with g.fast IMHO as the vast majority of it will need replacing with cat5 (or equivalent) cabling.

BT want to sweat the last penny out of their last-mile monopoly infrastructure & I'm sure we can all see the logic in that for BT. Remember that companies in the UK have a legal duty to act solely in the interests of shareholders. However for the rest of us then its complete lunacy on wheels :)

As I keep saying g.fast has its place but widescale deployment is NOT that place.

We'll see what we see I guess...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything