Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: new to fibre  (Read 9444 times)

andy173

Re: new to fibre
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 06:09:15 PM »

thats the one i allready have was only on connect bb for a few months before fiber was installed

splbound

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 01:16:52 PM »

thats the one i allready have was only on connect bb for a few months before fiber was installed

I'm assuming here so...

If sky aren't sending you anything and there is no scheduled engineer visit then the skyhub you have should be able to handle the new connection. You most likely have the skyhub2.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sky-hub-2013-review

Interesting thing about the skyhub2 is that it has the integrated vdsl2 modem and is able to preconfigure itself. So when the date comes all should be well. You may have to power it off and on again?

In this case have the skyhub connected to the master socket as close as you can.

You can ether then run ethernet cable to each device from the ethernet ports on the back of the skyhub.

Or run one ethernet cable from an ethernet port on the skyhub to an ethernet switch located closer to your devices. Then connect each device to the switch.

Forget about that ebay Ethernet splitter, switches are cheap there is no need for it and is just plain wrong if you are thinking of using it for packet switched Ethernet networks.

Off topic..
What confuses me is the use of the term Fibre. To me it ain't a fibre connection unless I see the fibre cable run into my premises. What it really should be called is a VDSL2 connection as it still is a copper run coming into your premises.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 01:19:27 PM »

Off topic..
What confuses me is the use of the term Fibre. To me it ain't a fibre connection unless I see the fibre cable run into my premises. What it really should be called is a VDSL2 connection as it still is a copper run coming into your premises.

Yes but the ASA/OFCOM decided not to enforce the issue, so now everything that isn't adsl or wifi is fibre.

splbound

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 01:37:25 PM »

Yes but the ASA/OFCOM decided not to enforce the issue, so now everything that isn't adsl or wifi is fibre.

:no: that is just confusion waiting to happen when service providers start actually providing fibre to the premises.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 02:54:52 PM »

To me it ain't a fibre connection unless I see the fibre cable run into my premises. What it really should be called is a VDSL2 connection as it still is a copper run coming into your premises.

We share the same opinion and both use the correct terminology to describe such a circuit.  :) 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »

technically its a hybrid connection. Partly fibre and partly copper and/or aluminium

Personally I think fibre to the cabinet is a good enough descriptor, but BT, VM et al want to shout about 'fibre' (which in VM's case is even less accurate than it is with BT FTTC) and those who were supposed to stop them being able to do so chose to abdicate their responsibility in the matter. So yes it will be a complete cluster**** when actual fibre connections do become widespread. Too late to do anything about now.

Even before BT FTTC VM were bragging about fibre and I kept correcting people that it's coaxial copper not fibre. Even corrected a few VM sales reps. The perils of being a network engineer  :P

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 03:39:08 PM »

Respect to the lion:)

I have the habit of correcting inexactitudes and nonsense where ever I see it (that is if I can be bothered . . . for it takes up some of a kittehs valuable sleeping time).

Apart from the nonsense of describing a metallic pathway carrying a VDSL2 signal as "fibre", I also give thunderous black looks to the usage of "MAC code" -- eh? pardon? "Migration Authorisation Code code" and "PIN number" -- eh? pardon? "Personal Identification Number number".  ::)

Just because there are clowns, jokers and numpties in abundance doesn't mean that I will join them! To mis-use some words penned by the late Gerry Rafferty -- "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with a numpty".  :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:24:12 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »

To me it ain't a fibre connection unless I see the fibre cable run into my premises. What it really should be called is a VDSL2 connection as it still is a copper run coming into your premises.

We share the same opinion and both use the correct terminology to describe such a circuit.  :)

A bugbear of mine too....  and why I wrote Fibre Optic Broadband which isn't!.

The UK is the only country that does this - for eg in the US 'Fibre' means FTTP/FTTH and FTTC is sole under VDSL, DSL or Internet.   Mind you last time I looked  AT&T classed their <6Mbps offering as High Speed  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 02:04:29 AM »

Mind you last time I looked  AT&T classed their <6Mbps offering as High Speed  :D

When I was in the US some years ago we had a door to door salesman come around offering us high speed internet, so I asked him to define high speed. He said 1mbps so I laughed and said you'll have to try much harder than that, we've got 75mbps here.

andy173

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 06:04:37 AM »

Well I had fibre apparently installed on the 17th but on coming home I had no Internet light on sky hub phoned sky went through all their tests and they can't make it work supposedly I'm having a man from openreach round sat afternoon anyone have any ideas why it won't work

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 07:36:40 AM »

My educated guess, Andy, is that the .......... outside Cab work hasn't been done at all, it has been done but incorrectly, or it is faulty network/internal wiring.

Those are the most common scenario's in order. The 4th scenario is a faulty FTTC port. Either way, barring a disaster you should be up and running tomorrow.  :)

PS ..... just my two-penneth on the other debate going on here ..... FWIW, BTOR call FTTC (NGA) - 'Super Fast' and the next stage NGA2  (G.Fast) will be termed 'Ultra Fast'. 

andy173

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 07:59:25 AM »

Really hope it's not internal wiring has been working fine on adsl since I changed master socket

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 08:03:56 AM »

Really hope it's not internal wiring has been working fine on adsl since I changed master socket

If so, then options 1 or 2 above are the most likely cause ?  :)

andy173

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 11:16:37 AM »

I really hope so also hope my master socket wiring isn't questioned even tho I think I did a good job

andy173

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »

all sorted apparantly wires wrong way round at exchange openreach says my lind can do 75mb down  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3