Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: New 8800NL and 8800AXL 2.32e firmware  (Read 27230 times)

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: New 8800NL and 8800AXL 2.32e firmware
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 06:52:03 PM »

What is bridge mode? Does it mean it using VDSL modem only and connection to other router?

it turns it in to a simple modem, disabling all the routing, wifi, firewall etc features.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 01:16:37 AM »

max got it right.

Newt its more than what you said.  Remember the hg612 is a router, but openreach configure it in bridge mode.  Bridge mode is where it just passes through the packets and doesnt process them, so the router attached to the the bridge device is the endpoint not the bridge device.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 04:00:10 PM »

Depending upon who is asking and depth of reply required, I will often explain bridge mode as nothing more than converting the data structure from xDSL format to Ethernet format and, obviously, the converse.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:15:00 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 05:59:29 PM »

max got it right.

Ah sure i didn't make words in the post it came from google search so Chry your gonna have to tell them they are wrong.

http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/readonly/what-is-the-difference-between-bridge-mode-and-not-bridgemode/Q24KPTTA7PHXAT22P

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 06:43:11 AM »

I am happy with what burakkucat has stated.

Newt some people seem to think simply disabling DHCP and NAT (dmz mode even) is a proper bridge mode, in my view it isnt.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 12:44:06 PM »

Newt some people seem to think simply disabling DHCP and NAT (dmz mode even) is a proper bridge mode, in my view it isnt.

Correct, it isn't. There's something else called half-bridge that is where the modem/router handles the authentication, but passes the external IP through to a LAN side device. My speedstream 4100 used to operate in this mode.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 05:59:11 PM »

I see in the my routers settings under Protocol you have three settings Bridging PPPOE and Routing at the moment my HG612 is the modem and using Ethernet as broadband type on brightbox2 it's set to PPPOE, the way it's setup is this a form of bridging ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 06:23:49 PM »

As I understand it, you are using a HG612 and a BB2.

The HG612 is the modem, operating in pure bridge mode and converting data from/to VDSL2 to/from Ethernet formats.

The BB2 is operating in PPPoE mode and provides (in no particular order) a firewall, a DHCP server (NAT), a DNS server, a multiport switch, a WAP, a . . . (at this point my mind has gone blank!)

mjgr33n

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 01:36:50 PM »

I see in the my routers settings under Protocol you have three settings Bridging PPPOE and Routing at the moment my HG612 is the modem and using Ethernet as broadband type on brightbox2 it's set to PPPOE, the way it's setup is this a form of bridging ?
Sorry if I waffle on about things that people already know but -

All bridging is from a network perspective is binding 2 or more networks or links together that otherwise would not be connected such that they will then be able to see each other completely and be unaware of the method used to bridge them, i.e. the bridge should be completely transparent to both sides of the bridge.

For example on a server or PC with multiple network ports, you can bind 2 or more of them together to form a bridge, those ports combine together to effectively create a switch, anything connected on those ports be it an entire network or just a singular device will be able to see each other (as long as they on the same VLAN), also in this case a virtual port is created so that the host device bridging the ports has an actual IP address to connect onto the bridge also, this is needed of course because all the physical ports on the bridge lose there IP addresses etc.

A wireless bridge is like connecting 2 switches together with an ethernet cable but the cable in this case is replaced by wireless signal and switches replaced by 2 access points acting in bridge mode, in this scenario there is technically a bridge at each end, each one allowing the bridging of the ethernet connected network to the wireless network, in the access point itself the wireless part and the ethernet part are bound together just like in the server/pc situation above and also like above a virtual port is created for the device to allow remote management via IP etc.

For DSL modems a true bridge is when the dsl and ethernet parts of the network just like above can see each other transparently without being aware of the bridge between them, but just like above the opposite can be true and that bridge can be broken and some modems can be configured to act like routers, for example the HG612 normally acts as a bridged modem but can be configured with custom firmware to act as a router with dhcp and dns and even a firewall etc.

And just like above a DSL router if it has a true bridge mode will do the exact same thing as the modem does albeit in the case of multi port routers then effectively have a switch connected to the modem, which depending on your ISP and whether or not you have dynamically assigned single or multiple IP, single static IP or multiple static IP may nor may not render the switch part useless or not :P

The only difference between most of these modems and combined modem/routers is the amount of hardware/firmware/software features and how well they are programmed.

And definitely agree on the fact that disabling a few features is not making a bridge mode as no adapters are bound together in such scenario. It is worth pointing out that when you bridge a modem/router, things like DHCP, DNS, Firewall cannot work any more because all these features require an actual IP Address which bridged part does not have any more, hence why modems such as the HG612 have a separate LAN port with a separate IP Address assigned to it so that configuration changes and firmware update can be made etc.

Hope this helps some people, although I don't consider myself a true expert on networking, I have been working as an IT consultant for nearly 17 years now and I find if you know the definitions of most things you can usually figure out what it is actually supposed to do :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:17:53 PM by mjgr33n »

NoZephy

• Just arrived
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 09:39:09 PM »

Thread seems to have been derailed just a tad to info about bridging ;)

I'm running 2.32e firmware as of yesterday and so far so good, I also had a 1mbps drop in upload from 17 to 16 but I'm not ready to put it down to firmware yet.
Aside from that it seems to be running smooth.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 03:55:22 PM »

Thread seems to have been derailed just a tad to info about bridging ;)

Ah yes, so it has!  :D

I'm running 2.32e firmware as of yesterday and so far so good, . . .

Thank you for the positive report.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »

Thread seems to have been derailed just a tad to info about bridging

It has a wee bit, but Im not going to move anything around, because that max asked a question that may (or may not) at the time have been relevant to the loss in upstream speed.  Also mjgr33n post was informative and I found it easy to understand.

I'm running 2.32e firmware as of yesterday and so far so good, I also had a 1mbps drop in upload from 17 to 16 but I'm not ready to put it down to firmware yet.

This may be a red herring or it may be relevant, but upstream loss of circa 1Mbps is also rearing its head in relation to g.inp.  Ive noticed this occur on several lines, for example if someone puts a HomeHub5B on after a Homehub5A. 

Prior to g.inp some lines may have been able to consistently get 18.7Mbps (which is the theoretical max after overheads), but with the HH5B may only be able to get 17.5 Mbps.

If you are syncing at 20Mbps upstream then in theory you should be able to get just over 18.5 Mbps unless overhead is for some other reason such as DLM type intervention eg Error Correction. 

Here's mine (no g.inp)

Ive mentioned this loss of 1Mbps several times in the past but no-one else seems to have picked up on it and with not being ginped myself, its not something I can look further into and not that many people seem to focus on their upstream speed.  We see the sync at 20Mbps so assume that all is ok, but Im sure something else is going on with this.

Need to see more cases, but if this is happening,  the fact that chrys is running in bridge mode could be relevant - because the DSLAM will be seeing a HG612 when it decides which profile to add.    Why it should change if nothing has happened to the DSL driver though, because that doesnt make sense it should impact anything on the DLM side.  ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »

I lost just under 1 Mbps when my G.INP profile changed on the 3rd June. This drop occurred when my US SNRM was a higher than normal 7.1 at the time, so the drop may well have been closer to 1 Mbps had the SNRM not been high.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 05:10:39 PM »

I am impressed you got full US speeds on speedtest.net kitz, I could only get it on the .nl ookla server (which is now gone) because all the others have too small send buffers to hit full rate.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 07:03:37 PM »

I am impressed you got full US speeds on speedtest.net kitz, I could only get it on the .nl ookla server (which is now gone) because all the others have too small send buffers to hit full rate.

At the risk of being a bit off-topic again.   I usually do get full upstream most of the time - I tend to use the Maidenhead server - although I note that one says London. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5