Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trying to acertain if my HG612 is faulty.  (Read 5877 times)

mcfluffy

Trying to acertain if my HG612 is faulty.
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »

This is going to be a bit long winded so if you want to skip the exposition and head straight to what I'm experiencing with the HG612, jump down to the third paragraph. OK so I've had problems with my broadband since mid march now. I had an HG612 connected to it; Long story short; I moved in here late last year, had BT infinity connected beginning of January. BT sent me a HomeHub 5 (type a) but I wanted to use my own router (Billion 7800DXL). Luckily previous occupiers left their HG612 here so I just used that. It worked fine, got relatively constant 37 up 9 down up until mid-march, then I started getting line drops every few hours. Eventually my speeds started to be reduced due to the dropping presumably kicking in the DLM.

Anyway, I tried unlocking the HG612 to get line stats and, aside from a few hiccups with that (I posted on here about it actually, the HG612 kept locking up but I wasn't sure if it was because I unlocked it or it or because of another reason). In the end, because I couldn't make much sense of the line stats I reflashed the modem with locked SP08 to put it back normal. It's seemingly worked OK, but I still get line drops. Then one day it seemed to stabilize. I had a connection for over ten days. My speed was close to half what it used to be though, so maybe that's why it stayed connected. Then it dropped shortly after the ten days and reconnected back to nearly what it used to (around 36 up and 8 down). Just like that the line started dropping again, and hasn't stopped since.

So that's the story of where I'm up to. I still haven't bothered to bring this up with BT as I'm still in half a mind as to if the actual HG612 is the problem here (even though I do have some issues when using the phone which I'll mention in a minute). Someone in the other thread suggested maybe it was faulty power supply on the modem. The HG612 is a 3b, running locked SP08 firmware, and has white switching power 1amp power supply which I believe replaced the older black supply that was rated lower. However it does exhibit some odd behaviour when it drops the connection.

Usually, the line drops when I'm doing something, like playing an online game. It doesn't (or rather hasn't thus far) dropped while I've been streaming video. I think it may have done once or twice, but it seems to do it more when I'm gaming online than anything else (maybe the games I play are more intensive than watching video, no idea, suppose I'm using both upstream an downstream for gaming but mostly just downstream for video so perhaps that has something to do with it).

When it drops, most often, the modem DSL light simply goes out, and after a while it begins flashing and goes solid again indicating it dropped and reconnected by itself. Other times however, the line drops and apparently I have no internet connection but the modem seeingly still has a solid green DSL light on. I believe when it does this; the modem has frozen because when I press the rest button for ten seconds, nothing happens. I usually have to turn the modem off at the wall and back on again. I have found however, sometimes when I turn the modem off, and turn it back on, nothing happens. No lights come on, I get nothing. It's almost as if it's dead. I tried pulling th eplug out, plugging it back in, removing the connector from the modem and plugging that back in, nothing. I get absolutely nout for sometimes at least a minute before all of a sudden the lights come on and modem reboots. Could this indeed be the power supply that's gone south?

Other times I've lost connection, turned round to look at the modem to confirm and found it's power light flashing indicating the modem actually rebooted. Though I'm unsure if this is because it crashed, realised it had crashed and reset itsewlf or if the power supply conked out and caused the modem to power cycle. As a matter of course I've actually bought a replacement power supply and it's currently on the way. It did say in the product listing it would work with an HG612 but it seems to be rated for 1amp - 2amp. Hopefully that's not too much for the modem? I suppose I'll find out in a few days.

In the mean time, I have another modem I could try. The problem is, it's an ECI modem, ,a  B-FOCuS v-2FUb/r Rev. B. I'm fairly sure my cabinet is a Huawei cabinet with G.INP since I believe few if any ECI cabs were enabled with G.INP. And when I had the HG612 unlocked running dsl stats they said the line was G.INP enabled. It also stands to reason it's a Huawei ca since, as I said previously I got this HG612 from the previous occupiers who apparently had Bt Infinity, too. I assume an Openreach engineer would supply a HG612 to a premises if the cabinet was a Huawei (I guess that isn't fool proof though). Anyway this ECI I have is from my friends house, he gave it to me after he switched to virgin media.

Problem is it doesn't have a power supply with it. So presumably I'd have to use the HG612's power supply. Which kind of defeats the purpose if the power supply is at fault here. Again I'll just have to wait for the replacement to come though, but, would using an ECI modem even be worth trying in order to determine a fault with the HG612? I mean, if I have G.INP enabled would the ECI exhibit line drops anyway? I know people have reported ECI modems run at slower speeds and higher pings on G.INP lines but not sure about if they constantly get line drop outs? Only reason I'd use the ECI is to see if the line was then stable.

As for the phone, I've tried a quiet line test. Seems quiet. However I've phoned people (mostly just one person I speak to in fact) and on occasions I can definitely hear crosstalk on the line. I can hear someone in the background waffling away. It's very very faint though, and I'm not sure if it would be considered an actual fault on the line. Sometimes also you can hear a click every now and then. I might also add I tried connecting the modem directly to the test socket using a filter for over a month but that didn't seem to make a blind bit of difference.

spudgun

• Reg Member
Re: Trying to acertain if my HG612 is faulty.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:29:37 PM »

I'd pick up a cheap 612 off ebay and unlock it and update to the latest firmware as that would rule out faulty hardware and it never hurts to have a backup even if it turns out not to be a hardware issue.

Also, what kind of faceplate/filters are you using as it might be worth replacing these

mcfluffy

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »

I may do. Already had a look though and I don't particularly fancy spending upwards of 30 quid on one which seems to be the going rate but I suppose I may have to. As for the faceplates, the master socket and faceplate was a 2007 NTE5, with a "mk1" interstitial plate (i.e the one emobossed with Openreach but with no actual numbering). I removed all that and used a new filter that came with the homehub 5 in the test socket for a long time but after there was no improvement I bought a mk3 interstitial plate and put i all back together. Again, no apparent difference has been made since doing that though.

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 01:57:57 PM »

Don't pay the over-inflated prices on ebay for pre-unlocked ones and stay patient, they can be had for much less than £30 delivered.

When you've done the quiet line test has this been with an 'old style' corded analogue phone?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 02:40:53 PM »

Having read through your comprehensive post, I have a "peculiar tingle in my whiskers" that either the switching power supply is faulty or there is a defective soldered joint within the HG612 where the power socket connects to the PCB.

Any replacement PSU will be sufficient as long as: (1) it is rated at 1000 mA minimum (2) the polarity is correct (the central pin, when looking into the socket on the modem is the +ve connection) and (3) the plug is the correct size.

Wait until you receive the new PSU then test it with the existing Hawei HG612. Dependent upon the result obtained, you might then decide to test using the ECI B-FOCuS /r.

As for the prices of HG612s on eBay, I have seen them start at £3 + £5 p&p. No one should pay more than £10, all inclusive.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mcfluffy

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 03:22:35 PM »

Don't pay the over-inflated prices on ebay for pre-unlocked ones and stay patient, they can be had for much less than £30 delivered.

When you've done the quiet line test has this been with an 'old style' corded analogue phone?

Currently I have a new (since last month) BT Converse 21somethingorother. It's a corded analogue touch tone phone as far as I'm aware. I only got it because the phone I used before was an old pulse dialer retro phone, which of course I can't even use with 17070 due to not being able to select any of the options.

Talking of the quiet line, at about half one today I tried quiet line and all was nice and quiet. Didn't sound like anything was out of the ordinary. Shortly after 2pm however I lost Internet again. But it was one of those instances where the modem DSL light was still on. So, without touching the modem I tried quiet line again and I the line was very noisy compared to what it was and this time I could hear that crosstalk again of someone else's phone conversation, very faint as usual though so I can't hear what's actually been said. The other noise though was definitely some sort of electrical noise that was intermittently cutting in and out, so while still listening to the line I pulled the modem DSL cable out. DSL light stayed on but the phone line went quiet again (though I could still hear people talking ever so faintly). Plugged the modem back into the DSL socket and the noise fired up again, so, seems as though the modem definitely crashed, again, and was polluting the line with noise that isn't normally there. After turning the power off and on again the noise went and the modem reconnected to the net.

Having read through your comprehensive post, I have a "peculiar tingle in my whiskers" that either the switching power supply is faulty or there is a defective soldered joint within the HG612 where the power socket connects to the PCB.

Any replacement PSU will be sufficient as long as: (1) it is rated at 1000 mA minimum (2) the polarity is correct (the central pin, when looking into the socket on the modem is the +ve connection) and (3) the plug is the correct size.

Wait until you receive the new PSU then test it with the existing Hawei HG612. Dependent upon the result obtained, you might then decide to test using the ECI B-FOCuS /r.

As for the prices of HG612s on eBay, I have seen them start at £3 + £5 p&p. No one should pay more than £10, all inclusive.

Yes I thought this is potentially a problem, especially after someone mentioned it may be the power supply in the other thread I made. This new adapter I've got is rated 12v with an output of between 1amp and 2amp and is listed as beign compatible with the Huawei modem so fingers crossed. I've got a vague suspicion though I may have two issues, potentially a faulty modem and/or power supply that may have caused it to become faulty, and a line fault that's not particularly "visible" due to the modem being up the duff. That would be just sods law, but considering lately my luck seems to have run out and whoever or whatever controls the laws of time and physics has been trying their damnedest to get me run over lately I really wouldn't be surprised if it's all gone tits up and isn't just down to one thing in particular.

(yes you read that right, I've nearly been run over three times in the last week alone).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:27:31 PM by mcfluffy »

mcfluffy

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »

As an update, I've had the ECI modem connected up now for a month. My router's reading that I've been connected constantly for the last 30 days. The only downside is I've been connected at 20mbit down and 7mbit up which is still less than I originally got on the HG612 before the issues started (34mbit down and 9mbit up). Last time my HG612 rabndomly decided to play nice it was connected at these low speeds, but after ten days it disconnected and reconnected at closer to the original speeds and stability went through the floor again.

So naturally I'm reluctant to restart the modem to see if it'll connect at a higher rate now it's been stable for a month, just in case I lose my stable connection! As a side note, I found my cabinet, and next to it a few feet up the pavement is what looks clearly like a Huawei cabinet. Though I kind of already knew that based on the fact when I had the HG612 unlocked it say G.INP was enabled on the line.

So, suggestions? Should I just accept the lower speed and live with it for now or should I risk resetting the modem to see if DLM will bump my speeds up at the risk of discovering I have poor stability again and finally need to get BT involved?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »

just a warning, only get another hg612 if it is indeed cheap, above £30 and it may be better to get a 8800nl instead.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 11:22:28 AM »

Stay away from sellers like this.

The description looks like total nonsense to me; it's verging on scaremongering.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »

that price is just completely ridiculous.  Definitely dont buy that one.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 11:33:19 AM »

that price is just completely ridiculous.  Definitely dont buy that one.

Do you agree about the description?

-Billion , TPLink, Fritz & 5 Others-
 ! Failed The Current BTWholesale Testing Programme !

Huawei [SZ] Direct -- Not "Ex-Openreach"= No Network Block / Lockout Risk
{Openreach/contract stock units have the mac number/serials logged on the data base
  which can be system blocked with NCAS update rollout}

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 11:37:20 AM »

I noticed that yeah, complete hogwash.

BT have gone past the point they can start blocking devices, it would be more hassle than its worth for them.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »

I've just noticed he says BTWholesale. They don't have anything to do with the HG612...

mcfluffy

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 05:54:01 PM »

90 quid? Yea think I'll skip that one. Do BT engineers still carry the modems in their vans these days or has that practice stopped now BT send out HomeHub5?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 05:59:37 PM »

I believe they are for a little while longer.
Pages: [1] 2