Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015 - sub topic re Modems  (Read 7349 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015 - sub topic re Modems
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 10:26:11 PM »

[off topic]
I realise that the subject of this thread is "G.INP - BT rollout 2015", so I'll be brief.

The FTTC product is routinely referred to as NGA GEA. That is Next Generation Access Generic Ethernet Access. Look at the second of the two abbreviations -- GEA. So how will Generic Ethernet Access be provided when the BT Group cease to provide a device to bridge from VDSL2 to Ethernet and the converse, Ethernet to VDSL2?  ???
[/off topic]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 10:58:43 PM »

The FTTC product is routinely referred to as NGA GEA. That is Next Generation Access Generic Ethernet Access.

Well i am just clad that the above abbreviations has been explained to me and i find the Google search a pain in the arse sometimes decoding abbreviations  ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 09:13:34 AM »

[off topic]
I realise that the subject of this thread is "G.INP - BT rollout 2015", so I'll be brief.

The FTTC product is routinely referred to as NGA GEA. That is Next Generation Access Generic Ethernet Access. Look at the second of the two abbreviations -- GEA. So how will Generic Ethernet Access be provided when the BT Group cease to provide a device to bridge from VDSL2 to Ethernet and the converse, Ethernet to VDSL2?  ???
[/off topic]

If Ive understood your question correctly, then ceasing to supply the CPE (modem) doesnt affect anything.  NGA GEA is a product that is available to Service Providers who can purchase a GEA cablelink to access Openreach's FTTC network. 

TalkTalk & Sky purchase GEA for NGAccess.  The likes of Plusnet, AAISP etc dont actually purchase GEA, instead they purchase from BTWholesale who purchase multiple GEA cablelinks from BTOpenreach for use by multiple ISPs.  GEA specifically applies to ethernet presentation to the SP or carrier at the point of handover.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 09:31:39 AM »

I've just been looking at your ADSL modem memorabilia and those were a bit before my time. Here's the first ADSL modem I ever had:

It was from AOL (:o) and I remember it had "BT AOL working together" written on it hahaha.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 10:35:17 AM »

The Alcatel Speedtouch. First modem I had when ADSL was first rolled out, oh the speed change from dialup's 48.8Kbps to 512Kbps downstream. Unfortunately I first suffered with it regularly losing power from USB (which in the end turned out to be an incompatibility with the VIA chipset on the motherboard.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015 - sub topic re Modems
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »

First I had was one of these:

Even came with some basic stats options.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 12:46:34 PM »

The Alcatel Speedtouch. First modem I had when ADSL was first rolled out, oh the speed change from dialup's 48.8Kbps to 512Kbps downstream. Unfortunately I first suffered with it regularly losing power from USB (which in the end turned out to be an incompatibility with the VIA chipset on the motherboard.

Didn't this object appear in 'Batteries not Included'  :'(
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 04:36:49 PM »

If Ive understood your question correctly, then ceasing to supply the CPE (modem) doesnt affect anything.  NGA GEA is a product that is available to Service Providers who can purchase a GEA cablelink to access Openreach's FTTC network. 

TalkTalk & Sky purchase GEA for NGAccess.  The likes of Plusnet, AAISP etc dont actually purchase GEA, instead they purchase from BTWholesale who purchase multiple GEA cablelinks from BTOpenreach for use by multiple ISPs.  GEA specifically applies to ethernet presentation to the SP or carrier at the point of handover.

Hmm No. 1 . . . But surely there are two ends to every circuit. I was just considering the EU's end. Currently when Openreach provide and install a modem (Huawei or ECI) the EU has an Ethernet socket from which the service is provided. I have a feeling that I need to consult one of Beattie's SINs . . . the one that displays the demarcation points for GEA and telephony at the EU's premises.

Hmm No. 2 . . . I see there is a newer version of SIN 498 but with the same date and "version" number as before. The PDF file is now 498v6p0_C.pdf whilst previously it was 498v6p0.pdf. More reading!  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015 - sub topic re Modems
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 06:00:10 PM »

I havent checked, but I dont know if you'll find anything at SINET other than reference to the GEA cablelink. NGA comes under OFCOMs domain. The term GEA is more to do with the OFCOM rules of Equivalence of Input thingy or whatever its called.  I would imagine that OFCOMs site would be the best place to go to get a full explanation, but I'll attempt to give an overview:

- Access to the copper network (CGA) is done at the Inspan Handover frame where they are presented with the tie pair.
 - Obviously there isnt a tie pair for the FTTC/FTTP NGA network to present to the CP because thats in the field at the DSLAM..  and the CPs cant access the DSLAMs where the other end of the fibre is so instead the SP purchases an aggregated cablelink at the OLT. 

Theres a lot more involved and youre talking VLANS etc but basically OFCOM ruled that BT must also provide access to Openreach's Next Generation Network.  The equivalent to LLU is VULA (Virtual Unbundled Local Access) and because its presented as Ethernet hence the term GEA.   Thats all it is - access point for SPs to BT's Fibre part of the local Network.

The fact that its VDSL rather than ADSL doesnt make any difference when it comes to the CPE.   The Ethernet part perhaps youre thinking of isnt OLT <--> customers premises.  Its the Fibre between cab and the head-end exchange. That final bit is still copper and that totally belongs to Openreach for which there is no access for the SPs.

When it comes to termination of t'other end, nothings changed other than they no longer supply the modem, just like 10+ years ago they stopped supplying the frog modems.  The consumers and SPs wanted self install and the option to purchase/supply their own modem/routers and so thats what is happening now.  Demarcation point is still the NTE same as with adsl.  Hope that makes sense :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]

anything