Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: One PCP & Two DSLAMs  (Read 5816 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
One PCP & Two DSLAMs
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:18:37 PM »

Nowt strange in that you may think.. but I think this particular one may be rather unusual, because Ive never seen or heard of this before.

I was driving home tonight and made a slight detour to drop off a card & pressie, so approached my house from a slightly different direction.  Mind was on other things when all of a sudden I was 'oooh another new DSLAM next to that PCP'.  As was driving past 'Oh! its a Huawei'.. erm the old one was an ECI.'   

Thinking I must have been seeing things, I drove around the block and sure enough 1 PCP with an ECI on one side and a Huawei 128 on the other.

AFAIK there is only one PCP in that immediate area, checked on Magenta and can only see one.  The cab isnt that far from me and although I dont drive down that road every day, I'll usually do so at least once a month.  In fact in March I was stood right next to it whilst I waited for a lift from a friend as I'd dropped my car off at the garage across the road so Im sure I would have noticed it then.   The cab was originally enabled at the same time as mine and was an ECI, so its with some surprise to see it now also has a Huawei stood a few meters away.

I couldnt stop and take a photo tonight, but next time Im passing I will.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: One PCP & Two DSLAMs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 11:37:54 PM »

Could they be replacing it for some reason and preparing for a "switchover"; are the capabilities significantly different?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:02:34 AM »

I'm not sure what they are doing.   When I get chance I intend to park off the main road, then walk around the corner take some photos and then see if I can hear if both cabs have active fans without trying to look too much of a dickhead.  ;D

I've tried putting a couple of nearby postcodes in Magenta to see which cab comes up and its either all that particular cab or the cab I'm attached to, so I don't think there's a hidden PCP anywhere.

are the capabilities significantly different?

Well the Huawei's seem to be winning handsdown atm when it comes to G.INP and vectoring,  they appear to have stopped using ECI's for about the past year for new installs.   If a cab is full then its not unknown for them to install a second DSLAM, but its usually the same make as its neighbour.  There cant be a huge demand otherwise they would have used a Huawei 288 rather than Huawei 128.  The ECI's can hold up to 256 lines.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 10:57:55 PM »

Images

One attached, the other front on view is too large - here.
Can hear very slight hum in the ECI but nothing from the Huawei.

----
I think I may have an idea what's going on, noticed the newer cab has a superfast lancashire sticker on it so its probable that they dont both belong to the same cab.   Need to do some a bit more digging, but been at the hospital all day with dad and not long home, so need to eat first.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 07:31:17 AM »

You've definitely sussed it, Kitz. The newer VDSL Cab belongs to PCP14 which is on the opposite side of the road outside No.49 ***** Rd.  :)

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:40:43 AM »

I'm not sure what they are doing.   When I get chance I intend to park off the main road, then walk around the corner take some photos and then see if I can hear if both cabs have active fans without trying to look too much of a dickhead.  ;D

:D

I was doing drivebys on an estate last week trying to spot the FTTC cabs too :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 12:26:32 PM »

Cheers BS.   For some reason PCP14 doesnt show up on the location map at Magenta.   Yet they do have some of the data for it.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 02:44:57 PM »

Cheers BS.   For some reason PCP14 doesnt show up on the location map at Magenta.   Yet they do have some of the data for it.

No probs.  :)

I don't know how 'Magenta' works, but I can tell you that PCP14 has been in place for decades.  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »

And here is PCP14, a venerable cast-iron antique from the days of the GPO Telephone Service . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 11:55:56 PM »

What is this Magenta? Me being inquisitive as usual! ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 11:58:38 PM »

-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm#fttc_cab_info

I hope the accuracy is better than the FTTC map for my village for other locations  :(  It does not look good for the next town where the exchange is as I can see two that are not in the correct place. :'(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:23:03 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 10:24:01 PM »

And here is PCP14, a venerable cast-iron antique from the days of the GPO Telephone Service . . .

Thats no longer there. It must be an old image.
I saw your post last night and thought.. hmmm cant remember this, so drove past tonight on my way home and it has indeed been replaced by a new one. 
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 01:16:20 AM »

Thats no longer there. It must be an old image.
I saw your post last night and thought.. hmmm cant remember this, so drove past tonight on my way home and it has indeed been replaced by a new one.

Indeed, it is an old Google Street View image.

I will suggest that the internal "gubbins" (note the technical word) are essentially the same, it has just been re-shelled with a modern sheet-steel outer "doings".  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 10:02:23 AM »

Ive no doubt you are correct :)
-----