Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015 - sub topic re Modems  (Read 7382 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015 - sub topic re Modems
« on: May 31, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »

/** Admin Note -  Ive split the topic of modems from the main G.INP thread. 
This first post wasn't necessarily the post where the modem conversation started, it was just the most logical place to split without interrupting other conversation about g.inp. **/

How do you know that G.INP on ECI cabs is any good at all?

If it's as poor as claimed, there may be further compromises needed to be added to Huawei cabs.
These changes are not even  taking  the ECI cab's in to account  only the inferior ECI modems, When they should have  either worked with a the chipset  vendor, or supplied a full compatible modem , as it was their choice to
provide a modem not the EU's

As for further what you call compromises due to their lack of ability to properly sort things out, If they bork my connection further i'll cease the thing 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:42:39 AM by kitz »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015 - sub topic re Modems
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »

Not intending to cause a controversy or "stir up a hornets nest" but it is well known* that Openreach will cease supplying a modem to EUs at the beginning of next year (2016) and will cease support for all modems that they have previously supplied at the beginning of the following year (2017).

The clear intent is that all ISPs/CPs should supply and support the EUs' CPEs from the beginning of 2016.

* Currently I can't put my paws on the reference to support that statement. Perhaps someone else will be able to assist?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 10:16:56 PM »

Not intending to cause a controversy or "stir up a hornets nest" but it is well known* that Openreach will cease supplying a modem to EUs at the beginning of next year (2016) and will cease support for all modems that they have previously supplied at the beginning of the following year (2017).

The clear intent is that all ISPs/CPs should supply and support the EUs' CPEs from the beginning of 2016.

* Currently I can't put my paws on the reference to support that statement. Perhaps someone else will be able to assist?
I can recall reading something along those line myself BC but on a similar note to your self, i can't recall where i read it ie which site, may have been on here ?
IMO considering  the many failures of ISP's providing hardware that is fully compatible It should be left upto the EU to supply their own modem /router, as ISP's supply cheap basic  &nasty hardware in general  the Thompson/ technicolour kit is just one  prime example of this not forgetting the fact they like to add their own branded firmware that will sometime disable features and be used to lock it down(sky)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:19:14 PM by tommy45 »

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:22:41 PM »

IMO considering  the many failures of ISP's providing hardware that is fully compatible It should be left upto the EU to supply their own modem /router, as ISP's supply cheap basic  &nasty hardware in general  the Thompson/technicolour kit is a prime example of this

remember the frog/cycle helmet modems from the fixed rate DSL days? an American friend sent me one of their freebie DSL modems and it was a revelation. I no longer had to reboot the computer every time the DSL lost sync (which was at least once a day with the cycle helmet, hardly ever with the speedstream).

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 10:59:48 PM »

Cheers burakkucat my new ISP has done this with nice BrightBox2 it's has plenty of user configurations unlike the HH3a and HH5a though still a lack of telnet support for stats programs and that would help the end-user to see if G.INP is being used or not.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 04:52:01 PM »

I can recall reading something along those line myself BC but on a similar note to your self, i can't recall where i read it ie which site, may have been on here ?

No, Tommy, not here. I saw it on a definitive web-site (either BT Wholesale or Openreach) or within a PDF file that I had downloaded from the same. I believe that our leader, Kitz, has also seen it.

(I think I am suffering from age-related memory-fade.  :(  )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 04:57:06 PM »

(I think I am suffering from age-related memory-fade.  :(  )

The time to start worrying is when you can't remember that you have forgotten something.  :lol:

But...... if you can't remember, you'll have nothing to worry about. ???

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »

Re the modems:

I too have seen RevK's rant on the subject of the modems, but Ive also seen it in an official BT document somewhere that I cant recall :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 08:45:46 PM »

IMO considering  the many failures of ISP's providing hardware that is fully compatible It should be left upto the EU to supply their own modem /router, as ISP's supply cheap basic  &nasty hardware in general  the Thompson/technicolour kit is a prime example of this

remember the frog/cycle helmet modems from the fixed rate DSL days? an American friend sent me one of their freebie DSL modems and it was a revelation. I no longer had to reboot the computer every time the DSL lost sync (which was at least once a day with the cycle helmet, hardly ever with the speedstream).
Did you mean one of these things Speedtouch ST300 upto 8mbps max usb modem?

Or a bit later there were other turds available such as these This had 1 Ethernet port
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:50:25 PM by tommy45 »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »

That's the one I first remember, Dray.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »

A triumph of form over function :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 09:30:32 PM »

Those iirc were dubbed 'rays'  and the following 'frogs' or cycle helmets

I can recall they also did a 'purple frog' which my friend got.  I cant recall if they were a limited edition because I dont think the functunality was any different but me being a purple freak I was a bit jealous.

I also have (or did have - perhaps its in the loft) an old one of these, but I thought mine was more navy blue than grey

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 09:54:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2

anything