Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Windows 10 for Free  (Read 18419 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Windows 10 for Free
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:02:19 PM »

Im currently using Win7Pro and got the following message via Windows Update this evening.

Reserve your Free upgrade to Windows 10 now.  It will be download* once available and you can cancel your reservation at any time

*Yes, free.  This limited time upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial.  3GB download required.

There was also a link with more info
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Windows 10 for Free
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 08:24:15 PM »

Yes, I got it too. Supposedly to be released on 29th July, free offer lasts for 1 year. What to do? ???

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »

I've seen the message on a W8.1 desktop today, but we've been away a few days so not sure from when that would have been visible.
I think my main W7 system won't get it as I hid the update. But I'm planning to rebuild it soon with bigger disks and without XP (currently dual-boot) and will then "probably" migrate up to W10 after a decent wait if other systems do so OK.

My W10 test desktop system will be the first target, after I've reverted it to its OEM W7 and let all the missing updates arrive. Presumably at the end of July. The W8.1 desktop will probably follow fairly quickly.

The test system is updating as I type this to version 10130.

Couple of other W7 systems (laptops) that I'll need to think about..............

And probably definitely some others kicking about that I've forgotten overlooked.  :-[
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:30:17 PM by HPsauce »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »

This also appeared on a W7 laptop that I currently have no main use for.
So, I clicked on the "Reserve" button in that window and after a few seconds the window closed. That was it!

I relaunched from the tray icon and the button had gone, exploring a bit and it just said there were no issues with my PC and I would be notified when further progress was possible. There was a "cancel" option too.

No request for email or ID so it's presumably tied in to the PC, probably via Windows Update.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:22:15 PM »

Is there anyone cynical like me and thinking "Whats the catch?"

In the days whereby cloud type apps become the norm then Im not sure I like that.  I prefer a one off fee rather than monthly subscriptions, yet I cant see any sign of that yet with Win10, but there have been rumours.

Subscription based software kind of scares me because the costs can soon esclate as the various apps soon add up.   I was only discussing this with someone else a couple of weeks ago.  I have a (now old) copy of Dreamweaver and Photoshop that I originally bought on a Students licence but Adobe costs have since sky rocketed and Im not eligable to purchase on student licence anymore.  It concerns me because the whole site is managed by dreamweaver and the site wouldnt support the monthly cloud based fees for Dreamweaver alone nvm photoshop which I use for the diagrams etc.  I think it worked out at about £50 pm for an individual and even more for business.  It peed me off that it was cheaper in the US (about £20 iirc).  The site is massive and has hundred of pages (add in the fact a lot wont actually be visible because some pages have dependencies) that it would be a nightmare to convert to anything else now :(     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 09:25:45 PM »

No request for email or ID so it's presumably tied in to the PC, probably via Windows Update.

Its telling me all apps and hardware is compatible but requesting an email (I think).  I see "Your upgrade is reserved"  yet the button is still there  ???
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »

On my W8.1 system it asked for an optional email to notify me, I chose not to do that though but it all seems to have "passed".
And the button has gone.  ;)

I too am wondering what the catch is (or will be eventually), but for Microsoft I see simplicity of support and a more secure base......

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 09:59:20 PM »

It's free because nobody would buy it because Microsoft have {censored} up again.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 10:03:03 PM »

People will always buy it.    Not to mention the fact that millions of new PCs/Laptops are sold every year with it pre-installed and within the purchase cost.

I thought they were supposed to have it more right this time.    Never had a problem with XP or Win7.. or going back further WinNT was stable.   
IMHO Win8 was OK underneath, but the lack of start menu and charms did not prove popular for desktop users.

Vista I didnt like much at all.  I have three licensed copies of it, but none were ever used and I rolled back to XP.
-----

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 11:24:20 PM »

So is this an in place upgrade? Will all programs currently installed still work afterwards?

And if anybody uses Media Centre (as we do) will that be gone after the upgrade?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 11:32:32 PM »

It seems to imply an in place upgrade.   
There is a check for compatibility with apps, but the word app for some reason makes me think small apps and not full blown programs. - My report is attached below and the compatability faq link is here

Re Media Centre :(

Windows Media Center – If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 11:41:44 PM »

Just found a good info page here which lists which features will be uninstalled/installed during the upgrade.

This is also interesting

Applications, files and settings will migrate as part of the upgrade, however some applications or settings may not migrate.

For Anti-virus and Anti-malware applications, during upgrade Windows will check to see if your Anti-virus or Anti-malware subscription is current. Windows will uninstall your application while preserving your settings. After upgrade is complete, Windows will install the latest version available with the settings that were set prior to upgrade. If your subscription is not current, upgrade will enable Windows defender.

Some applications that came from your OEM may be removed prior to upgrade.

For certain third party applications, the “Get Windows 10” app will scan for application compatibility. If there is a known issue that will prevent the upgrade, you will be notified of the list of applications with known issues. You can choose to accept and the applications will be removed from the system prior to upgrade. Please be sure to copy the list before you accept the removal of the application.

-----

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 11:23:47 AM »

I reserved my copy from the W7 yesterday. Nothing came up on my dads W8.1 laptop so far. The notification appeared!

On the compatability thing bluetooth atheros seems to have a problem on mine. I upgraded the driver yesterday but still no go. I guess I'll leave it until W10 gets installed then eventually im thinking a driver will be updated.

Let's hope W10 is a good upgrade!

P.S.

Apparently the 'update' is going to be downloading between now and july 29th. So the files will sit on the computer until the 29th date.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:40:45 AM by Bowdon »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »

I normally wait a year before upgrading any Windows version to avoid (hopefully most of) the inevitable bugs.. So -  does anyone know how long a grace period there is between the d/l and needing to actually upgrade for free? It'll be a dual boot setup here anyway on all machines.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »

On the compatability thing bluetooth atheros seems to have a problem on mine.

Ditto, same problem on a new Windows 8.1 All in One Lenovo PC. (Less than 9 months old)
It appears Qualcomm ATHEROS have not bothered to update the software to be compatible with Windows 10.

It will be interesting to see if they do AFTER all the complaints from people who lose Bluetooth when upgrading.  ??? :o ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything