Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The cat that got the cream.  (Read 3705 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
The cat that got the cream.
« on: June 01, 2015, 12:12:47 AM »

Do you think this kitteh has ever seen milk before?

I cant decide if its trying to fight with it or swim in it  :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/weekendweeklyjetso/videos/694101340717633/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: The cat that got the cream.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 12:18:24 AM »

:D

I hope that milk is appropriate for little kittehs to drink.  :-\  I was told, a very long time ago, that little kittehs should not be given moo-moos' milk.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 12:38:55 AM »

Its surprising how many people still give cats milk not knowing that a huge percentage are lactose intolerant.

In fact thinking back to my childhood days, my first cat used to have milk on a daily basis.  He was a massively strong and healthy cat who lived until he was 21. My nan always gave her cats milk each day too.   ???

Ziggy and Zoe have never ever had cows milk, nor tasted it come to that.. except if you count a bit of ice cream.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:18:54 AM »

I read something about lactose intolerance recently (I forget where). Apparently lactose intolerance in adult mammals is the norm, and humans are unique in having evolved a digestive system which tolerates milk. All other mammals have digestive systems which have an override which enables them to accept mother's milk as babies, but the override is normally switched off when they become adults. Because of normal variations, some humans do become lactose intolerant, and some other adult mammals do not.

In some cases, lactose intolerance is a life threatening condition. Those kind but unaware people who put out bread and milk for hedgehogs are sadly endangering their lives.
  Eric

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 02:40:08 PM »

I was told, a very long time ago, that little kittehs should not be given moo-moos' milk.

That's my belief too, though in the OP it looked as if very little, if any, was actually consumed.   ;D

Those kind but unaware people who put out bread and milk for hedgehogs are sadly endangering their lives.

Sadly true.

Interesting chart

from http://thehedgehog.co.uk/feeding-hedgehogs/

which also explains why slugs and snails are actually very bad for hedgehogs.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 07:05:45 PM »

Those kind but unaware people who put out bread and milk for hedgehogs are sadly endangering their lives.

As you know I have a frequent Mrs Hedgepiggy and last year a 'piglet' and its surprising the number of people who said put milk out for it.   I never did though because by this time I was aware of lactose intollerance in cats and my thoughts were 1)If its bad for cats then surely it would be for Piglet too. 2) If I left milk around, no doubt my own cats would try it. 

I fed Piglet catfood which he nommed down each day and just left out a bowl of fresh water to deter him wandering into my pond, which although is netted against cats/gulls/herons, there is an opening I leave for frogs.

Ive not seen Mrs Hedgepiggy or Piglet this year yet, but that may have something to do with the weather and me not being in the garden as much on a warm evening.   
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 07:14:01 PM »

I fed Piglet catfood which he nommed down each day and just left out a bowl of fresh water to deter him wandering into my pond, which although is netted against cats/gulls/herons, there is an opening I leave for frogs.

That's exactly the right thing to do. :)
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 11:11:13 PM »

My cats seem to like a bowl of rain water rather than tap water or cows milk  :o

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »

My cats seem to like a bowl of rain water rather than tap water or cows milk  :o

Rain water I can perhaps understand:)  We used to have one crazy cat who would drink just about anything but fresh tap water in his bowl.  He'd drink green pond water, water from the bird bath and even toilet water if you left the loo lid up.  I wonder if it was anything to do with chlorine or whatever it is they put in water these days. 

Saying that I dont drink tap water either and buy bottled water for myself.
-----