Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Recommend me a VDSL modem and seperate router please  (Read 6129 times)

mjgr33n

Re: Recommend me a VDSL modem and seperate router please
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »

I should be able to, but just felt that maybe I could recoup my money and punt it on. I keep changing my mind on what to do with it.

One of the LAN ports can be converted to a WAN port, but if you need all 4 LAN ports it is not as useful and you then have to buy a Switch, but Gigabit switches are cheap enough these days, but you stated you need things to be small and less obtrusive.

Best routers out at the moment in terms of the best wireless are the ASUS RT-AC3200, NETGEAR R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 and D-Link DIR-890L AC3200, have a look at them first.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 11:08:52 AM »

Thanks! I'll go and have a look at them. I've put the AC68U on with the HG612 at the moment. At least if I went with a dedicated router, I can then start using custom firmware again. With the combos you can't really.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »

To throw more confusion into the mix and if money really is burning a hole in your pocket for new kit.   Why not ask those with a Zyxel WMG8924 how its wifi performs? 

I have a VMG8324 which is basically the same other than the wifi - It's only dual band 2.4Ghz rather than 802.11ac.   However Ive been very pleasantly surprised at just how good its wifi range is & Im not the only one to comment on this.  Its range is actually better than a 5ghz router I've tested.  5GHz is good if you are near to the router but the high frequencies can soon drop out of range.   My Zyxel works at the bottom of my garden and not only that also works from a small sunken patio that I have on the other far end, which is part shielded by a large tree.  Granted I may only get about 500kbps -1Mbps of speed but thats adequate to soak some rays whilst browsing the net.  Its the only router Ive ever had where wifi works on from sunken patio without dropping out.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 12:49:28 PM »

To throw more confusion into the mix and if money really is burning a hole in your pocket for new kit.   Why not ask those with a Zyxel WMG8924 how its wifi performs? 

I have a VMG8324 which is basically the same other than the wifi - It's only dual band 2.4Ghz rather than 802.11ac.   However Ive been very pleasantly surprised at just how good its wifi range is & Im not the only one to comment on this.  Its range is actually better than a 5ghz router I've tested.  5GHz is good if you are near to the router but the high frequencies can soon drop out of range.   My Zyxel works at the bottom of my garden and not only that also works from a small sunken patio that I have on the other far end, which is part shielded by a large tree.  Granted I may only get about 500kbps -1Mbps of speed but thats adequate to soak some rays whilst browsing the net.  Its the only router Ive ever had where wifi works on from sunken patio without dropping out.

I have read your write ups on the Zyxel 8324 and was quite interested in it. I've seen other members comments on how well it performs too. I'm going to put the search on hold as I've been told I'm going away for a month on Monday. I've set the DSL-AC68U to WAN only and have it running off the HG612 at present. This should keep it nice and stable while I'm away so the better half doesn't have any issues.

mjgr33n

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 06:22:04 PM »

This should keep it nice and stable while I'm away so the better half doesn't have any issues.
The most important factor for sure ;)

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »

This should keep it nice and stable while I'm away so the better half doesn't have any issues.
The most important factor for sure ;)

She'll praise me for not fiddling about anymore  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]

anything