Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recommend me a VDSL modem and seperate router please  (Read 6128 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Recommend me a VDSL modem and seperate router please
« on: May 31, 2015, 02:11:06 AM »

Hey all,

After buying an Asus DSL-AC68U and a Netgear D6400, I've decided that possibly a two box solution is the way forward for me at present.

With the DSL-AC68U I felt that with the SNR jumping around a bit it may cause issues down the line (pun not intended) so modem a bit flakey. Wifi range and performance were excellent.

With the D6400 I felt the modem was solid but the WiFi is causing some issues with streaming albeit a slightly greater range than the Asus, Speed checks are half what I got with the Asus (N66u and AC68U).

I'm tempted to move back to a two box solution now and want a rock solid broadcom based modem where I can easily get stats when needed.
As for the router side of things, I need something that gives excellent range, Amazing throughput speeds and also to have capability of easy setup of VPN for Android and iOS. This is where I loved the Asus, The Netgear doesn't support android and iOS VPN out the box but there are ways around it.

Any suggestions? I was thinking on the RT-AC87U but unsure on modem. I do have an unlocked Huawei modem kicking around but would keep that as a back up.

Tyke

Re: Recommend me a VDSL modem and seperate router please
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 08:44:30 AM »

I would consider either a Billion 8800NL, or a Zyxel 8324 bridged into an Asus. I personally use a Zyxel 8924, as their firmware updates are better, but the Billion is just as stable. Both can run stats, and work fine with Asus, I run mine into an AC-66U and an AC-68U Access Point. The Huawei modem tends to sync at a lower speed than the two aforementioned routers.
Setting up bridging is simple with both the Billion and Zyxel.
 I am a big fan of Asus routers, so would suggest sticking to the router you know, but use the Merlin firmware!
I should add that I am on VDSL, BT Infinity so my cpmments above would not necessarily apply to other connections. Again I should say that the new Type B HomeHub 5 (avoid the Type A) is an excellent router with good wifi and the same modem chipset as the Zyxel, and the Billion, and in my experience syncs at the same speeds, so it may be worth giving it a try before you shell out on a two box solution. Of course you will be in the dark stats wise if you do, as the HH5 gives up very little!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:49:42 AM by Tyke »

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 08:53:44 AM »

Also a great fan of Asus Routers, using a RT-N66U with Merlin 378.53 firmware, wireless is superb,good range, suprised how good the 5GHz band is, brilliant router, as so many other features, sorting out using it as a DLNA Media Server, but I'm still finding my way around it.
Using it with a unlocked HG612.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:18:48 PM by KIAB »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 12:25:19 PM »

As much as I would like to get a Billion or the Zyxel to handle the modem side of things, I feel that they may be too large. I'm not too worried about the size of the HG612 as it can easily be tucked away somewhere.
Are there any other capable units like Billion or Zyxel but similar size to the Huawei?

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 12:42:25 PM »

Maybe this one would suffice albeit a bit expensive?

ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A

If I sell an Asus N56U, An Asus N66U, A Billion 7800DXL, My Asus DSL-AC68U and return the Netgear D6400 then that should cover a few I would imagine  ;)

I didn't realise I had so many actually.

mjgr33n

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »

Maybe this one would suffice albeit a bit expensive?

ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A

If I sell an Asus N56U, An Asus N66U, A Billion 7800DXL, My Asus DSL-AC68U and return the Netgear D6400 then that should cover a few I would imagine  ;)

I didn't realise I had so many actually.

I would just get the best router you can buy and at first try with the Huawei HG612 which is the cheapest option for the VDSL2 modem side of things, if that works great for you then 'YAY', if the modem does not work as you want then try the Billion or Zyxel, you can pick the HG612 up for around £36 or less, the Billion will be around £60 to £70, whereas the Zyxel about £100 to £150.

Also pretty easy to sell the HG612 if it is not up to speed, although if you read through the forums it has a good reputation and easy to unlock and upgrade even with the latest 3B version, plenty of dedicated people who are testing the hardware blobs to get the best speed out of it, so honestly what do you have to lose by at least trying that as your first option especially as it is the smallest and is only a modem.

You can pick up the HH5 type B for around £50, but of course it can not be set up as modem only and the wireless will not be as good as you want and missing VPN options that you stated in D6400 thread.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 02:36:53 PM »

You are right. I've got the HG612 already and didn't really have any issues with it. I think I'll revert to that but purchase a high end router. I'll maybe purchase a second modem as a back up.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 03:27:53 PM »

Since you were happy with your existing Asus wifi, why not use that as a router only doing the LAN & WLAN hooked up to a HG612 for DSL?
or if you want to keep that as a backup just buy a spare HG612, or has already been suggested a Billion or Zyxel.

The Asus always seem to be very popular for its wifi capabilities, but unfortunately not on the DSLside of things.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 03:36:26 PM »

Since you were happy with your existing Asus wifi, why not use that as a router only doing the LAN & WLAN hooked up to a HG612 for DSL?
or if you want to keep that as a backup just buy a spare HG612, or has already been suggested a Billion or Zyxel.

The Asus always seem to be very popular for its wifi capabilities, but unfortunately not on the DSLside of things.

I was actually just came to that very conclusion in the shower. Obviously had too many whiskies at the family gathering yesterday. That is exactly what I shall do.

mjgr33n

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »

I was actually just came to that very conclusion in the shower. Obviously had too many whiskies at the family gathering yesterday. That is exactly what I shall do.

New Asus RT-AC3200 is out now too also, expensive but has Tri Band Wireless etc, bit of a beast really, only thing I do not like about the ASUS DSL boxes is they do not have a dedicated WAN port otherwise I might have done the same thing but need too many ports :)

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »

Wow, That thing looks a bit mental!
I'll stick with the one I have at present. Its perfect for my AC cards I have fitted. I didn't realise they didn't have a dedicated WAN port. I just had to go check  :-[

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »

the RT-AC series has an ethernet WAN port, the DSL-AC series has a DSL modem instead.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 12:32:37 AM »

A DSL modem that is as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
I've got a few AC wireless devices but all are used for general net apart from the main PC. To be fair, I didn't have any issues with my RT-N66U and would possibly say the range was slightly better (Felt that way anyway). I'm still tempted to get rid of the DSL-AC68U and put the money towards something in the future.

What other brands/routers have amazing range and speeds to back it up along with a VPN function that supports Android and iOS.
I know ASUS do as I've been using it. I heard Linksys also but never owned one of their devices.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 01:35:21 AM »

can you not put the DSL-AC into WAP mode and use it as an access point only? that's what I've done with my RT, since I have a different device handing routing, and a HG612 in front of that.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 01:46:49 AM »

I should be able to, but just felt that maybe I could recoup my money and punt it on. I keep changing my mind on what to do with it.
Pages: [1] 2

anything